The New Random Trump Thread - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

My Mood: Relaxed

The New Random Trump Thread

The old Random Trump thread had become irreparably toxic with people persistently baiting and attacking one another so I decided the best thing to do was to close it and start a new one.

So this is a fresh start and is given with the warning that if this one becomes similarly toxic, the same thing will happen but next time, we will have to give infractions or possible temp bans. Do not ignore this warning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 10:00 PM
SAS Member

No new wars and no successful foreign interventions have happened during Trump's first 4 years in office, I wasn't expecting that considering Obama, Bush, Clinton, HW, and Reagan, but hey that's something. Trump supporters should actually point that out when listing the positive aspects of his Presidency, usually it's the same old stuff like GDP, (pre-pandemic) unemployment rates, and of course stonks.
post #3 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 04:55 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy

Donald Trump, In Fox News Interview, Has Puzzling Exchange Over Abraham Lincoln’s Legacy: “He Did Good, Although It’s Always Questionable”
Ted Johnson
Deadline
June 12, 2020, 4:04 PM EDT

Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner’s interview with President Donald Trump aired on Friday, and one of the more puzzling moments came when he talked about what he had done for Black communities.

During one point in the interview, Faulkner asked Trump about the revitalization of areas via opportunity zones.

She asked him, “How does all of that fit into talking with the protesters? And people right now wanting for the black community—and not just blacks, but communities of color, people who are disadvantaged in general, I mean, the economy is the great unifier, right?”

Trump responded, “I think I’ve done more for the black community than any other president. And let’s take a pass on Abraham Lincoln, because he did good, although it’s always questionable, you know, in other words, the end result.”

It was unclear what Trump was referring to when he meant “end result,” but Harris responded, “Well, we are free, Mr. President. He did pretty well.”

“We are free,” Trump answered. “Well, you understand what I mean? You know, I got to take a pass on a Honest Abe, as we call it.”

Then Faulkner replied, “But you say you say you’ve done more than anybody.”

Trump went on to talk about signing criminal justice reform legislation in late 2018.

“Criminal justice reform. Nobody else could. I’ve done it. I did it,” he said. “I didn’t get a lot of notoriety. And the fact the people I did it for then go on television and thank everybody but me and they needed me to get it done. And I got it done.”

The clip here:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js...01&w=466&h=263 Watch the latest video at foxnews.com

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...200422570.html

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island

post #4 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 01:37 AM

I'm not making fun of him here. I genuinely wonder if he's developed some health issues that he's trying to conceal from people (thus that weird, abrupt, unscheduled "physical, part one" some months back).

Trump Tries To Explain Awkward West Point Walk That Lit Up Twitter Critics
Mary Papenfuss
HuffPost
June 14, 2020, 1:14 AM EDT

President Donald Trump tried to explain away his awkward walk down a ramp Saturday after addressing West Point graduates by saying he was being extra careful to avoid a fall that the “Fake News” would “have fun with.”

“Trump is not well” began to trend on Twitter after video of the president’s tentative walk was posted on social media. Check it out above.

Trump said in a tweet that the ramp was long, steep and “very slippery.” He claimed he “ran” to level ground the “final ten feet” — which did not appear to be the case.

Donald J. Trump
@Realdonaldtrump
The ramp that I descended after my West Point Commencement speech was very long & steep, had no handrail and, most importantly, was very slippery. The last thing I was going to do is “fall” for the Fake News to have fun with. Final ten feet I ran down to level ground. Momentum!
10:57 PM - Jun 13, 2020

Earlier, during his address to cadets, Trump also awkwardly used his right hand to lift a glass of water for a drink. He then used his left hand to push the glass, still clutched in his right hand, all the way to his lips.

Aaron Rupar
@atrupar · 17h
Replying to @atrupar
Trump's bone spurs must've flared up when he said "Vietnam" here
Aaron Rupar
@atrupar
Trump still hasn't totally figured out how to drink water
11:04 AM - Jun 13, 2020

Both incidents got Twitter critics going, with many raising questions about Trump’s health — and wondering again about his unannounced visit late last year to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. The White House said it was for a routine exam.

West Point cadets were called back from their homes across the nation to prepare for the graduation ceremony after Trump informed surprised officials in late April that he would be giving the commencement speech. The Army hadn’t yet determined then whether or not to have cadets back for a graduation ceremony because of the risks of COVID-19. They had all been ordered to stay home after spring break and continued their studies online.

At least 15 of the 1,106 cadets who returned to the campus about an hour’s drive north of New York City tested positive for COVID-19 when they arrived weeks ago, and were placed in quarantine. None were symptomatic. The rest were allowed to stay in their dorms under what the Army called a “soft quarantine” before the commencement. All were tested.

Cadets were in chairs spaced six feet apart for the ceremony, and donned masks as they crossed the stage. Families had to watch remotely. Trump did not wear a mask.

The president promised in his speech that the cadets would not have to fight “endless wars” in “far-away lands.”

This article originally appeared on HuffPost.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump...051417852.html

Re: the walk--that's exactly how I walk when the height/steepness of something makes me anxious, and I thought that before reading his explanation, so I can buy that, though definitely not the part about running down the last ten feet. (He does a little hop-skip with a couple of steps left to go, like I do when trying to get off an escalator.) As for why Trump has a fear of heights/steepness here...? I could swear he'd climbed steps up to and down from planes without incident. The military guy with him doesn't seem to be experiencing the same issue, and appears to be moving more slowly than necessary to keep alongside Trump...to help him if he falls, maybe?

Re: the drinking...now that one is weird and worrisome. It looks like he has difficulty raising his right arm high enough for the glass to reach his mouth, so he needs to push it along with the left. In addition, somebody in the comments made this observation, though I don't know where footage would be:

Quote:
When the cadets took their oath near the end, Trump couldn’t stand still like usual, but he also started acting like he wanted to put his right hand in his suit pocket, and then he began opening and closing his grip and stretching his fingers out and swirling his thumb around as if his hand was going numb. He did it very slightly with his left hand and kept doing it with his right hand. He also had some difficulty with words.
Carpal tunnel (from phone usage?), maybe...? Or something more troublesome...?

As well, I heard him say, "Ulysseus S. Grant," not "Ulysses S. Grant"...though that kind of thing is pretty normal for him.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the public record of his physical is a bunch of hooey, though again, that's expected. For him to possibly be concealing a medical condition from everyone, though, is both concerning and rather hypocritical, given his and his followers' history of mocking Biden's supposedly "poor health." There are even people who are hesitant to vote for Biden for this reason...what if the health of the guy they do vote for is even worse, but there are no official records saying so?

I'm just hypothesizing based on a few seconds of video, but still, it's curious.

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #5 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 01:45 AM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
Man I'd hate if the world was analysing how I drank a dam glass of water

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #6 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:53 AM
SAS Member

There was a president who concealed his wheelchair use. FDR
post #7 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 11:35 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angry
I'm not so sure the ramp thing is a huge deal. It is fairly well known that he wears lifts in his shoes, which I would imagine makes walking down a ramp difficult. The fact that he tweeted about the attention it got, just shows how easy it is to get under his skin.

The water is a much more telling sign that something is wrong with his health. It was clear that he tried to get that glass to his mouth with his right hand and literally could not. Something is obviously wrong there. Honestly, it wouldn't be such a big deal if he didn't say all the time how he's in perfect health, and if he and his campaign weren't trying to make Joe Biden out to be old and senile.

What is a much bigger deal with Trump, is his tweet this morning when he shared a Breitbart article quoting Michael Moore in an MSNBC interview, where he begs Democrats not to underestimate white male rage and emotion because they feel their power is slipping away. Trump is clearly ok with the US being a divided country, as long as he has enough votes to win.
post #8 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 12:21 PM
SAS Member

We should make June 14 Remember Obama Day
post #9 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 02:53 PM

Trump's unsteady ramp walk raises new health questions
AFP
June 14, 2020, 11:26 AM EDT

Washington (AFP) - As US President Donald Trump turns 74 on Sunday, an incident a day earlier in which he appeared unsteady on his feet has revived questions about his health as he heads into a grueling re-election campaign.

Scrutiny of a president's health is always intense, and Trump has generally appeared vigorous for his age. Results of a routine physical released early this month showed he was overweight -- 244 pounds (110 kilograms) -- but with otherwise normal test results.

But his appearance Saturday at the US military academy in West Point, New York raised new questions about apparent signs of unsteadiness, balance problems and trouble enunciating certain words.

Since Trump has regularly mocked the health and acuity of his presumptive election opponent, Democrat Joe Biden -- who is three years his senior -- the question of physical fitness could weigh heavily in the campaign ahead.

After a widely circulated video on Saturday showed Trump walking tentatively and unsteadily down a long ramp after delivering a commencement speech at West Point, he took to Twitter to issue an explanation.

"The ramp that I descended after my West Point Commencement speech was very long & steep, had no handrail and, most importantly, was very slippery," Trump said.

"The last thing I was going to do is 'fall' for the Fake News to have fun with. Final ten feet I ran down to level ground. Momentum!"

Reporters at the scene said the weather was dry and the ramp not particularly steep.

- Earlier incidents -

But Trump also appeared to have trouble Saturday lifting a glass of water to his lips -- beginning the gesture with his right hand but then raising his left hand apparently to help.

And, not for the first time, he seemed to mispronounce a number of names of well-known Americans, including those of army generals Ulysses S. Grant and Douglas MacArthur.

His West Point performance was not the first time Trump's health has been questioned, particularly by his avowed political critics, whose speculation has run the gamut from early dementia to a minor stroke.

Late last month, Trump seemed to have trouble standing still during a solemn wreath-laying ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery, near Washington, though some commentators said he might simply have been weary.

That appearance also came at a time when Trump said he had been taking a course of hydroxychloroquine, a drug he believed could help fend off the coronavirus, despite a lack of medical evidence. Side effects of the drug include dizziness and nausea.

Trump has repeatedly tested negative for COVID-19.

- Secretive checkup -

Speculation had been fueled last November, when Trump made an unscheduled and secretive visit to the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland.

The White House called the visit an "interim checkup" -- though it was unusual, coming just nine months after his previous exam -- and rejected speculation about any "urgent or acute issues."

A spokeswoman insisted that Trump had more energy "than anyone in the White House."

Should Trump show signs of physical weakness, it could undercut his frequent attacks on Biden, his presumptive opponent in November.

In March, Trump tweeted that Biden was "weak, both mentally and physically." And on June 11, he said on Twitter that Biden "acts different than he used to, he's even slower than he used to be."

During his 2016 campaign, Trump had attacked then-opponent Hillary Clinton after she fell ill at a campaign event, saying she was not physically up to the task of being president.

During that campaign, Trump's longtime doctor, Harold Bornstein, wrote in a letter that his patient's health was "astonishingly excellent" and that his strength and stamina were "extraordinary."

But in 2018, Bornstein told CNN that Trump himself "dictated that whole letter. I didn't write that letter."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-un...152646717.html

post #10 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 01:09 AM

Trump rally called ‘dangerous move’ in age of coronavirus
CARLA K. JOHNSON and JILL COLVIN
Associated Press
June 14, 2020, 11:29 AM UTC

FILE - In this March 2, 2020 file photo, President Donald Trump speaks during a campaign rally in Charlotte, N.C. Trump’s re-election campaign is planning a large indoor rally next week raising concern among health experts about how it might spread the coronavirus. Oklahoma health authorities say anyone who attends a large public event should get tested for COVID-19 shortly after. (AP Photo/Mike McCarn)

WASHINGTON (AP) — After months away from the campaign trail, President Donald Trump plans to rally his supporters next Saturday for the first time since most of the country was shuttered by the coronavirus. But health experts are questioning that decision.

Trump will head to Tulsa, Oklahoma — a state that has seen relatively few COVID-19 cases. Yet the Tulsa City-County Health Department’s director told the Tulsa World over the weekend that he wished the Trump campaign would move the date back because of a “significant increase in our case trends.”

“I’m concerned about our ability to protect anyone who attends a large, indoor event, and I’m also concerned about our ability to ensure the president stays safe as well," Dr. Bruce Dart told the newspaper.

Other health experts also cite the danger of infection spreading among the crowd and sparking outbreaks when people return to their homes. The Trump campaign itself acknowledges the risk in a waiver attendees must agree to absolving them of any responsibility should people get sick.

WHAT MAKES THE RALLY HIGH RISK?

Trump’s rally will be held indoors, at a 19,000-seat arena that has canceled all other events through the end of July. Scientists believe the virus spreads far more easily in crowded enclosed spaces than it does outdoors, where circulating air has a better chance of dispersing virus particles.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention outlines the highest risk events for transmission of the coronavirus this way: “Large in-person gatherings where it is difficult for individuals to remain spaced at least 6 feet apart and attendees travel from outside the local area.” The CDC recommends cloth masks in places where people might shout or chant.

Trump’s rallies typically draw tens of thousands of supporters. They usually stand outside in line for hours before passing through airport-style security and cramming into an arena, where they sit side by side or stand shoulder to shoulder. The rallies are typically raucous, with much shouting, cheering and chanting. Some people dance and jeer at reporters. Sometimes protesters are met with violence before they are removed by security.

Many attendees are older, which would put them at higher risk of severe complications from COVID-19. It’s not unusual for several individuals in the crowd to require medical attention when the temperature rises.

The rallies also typically draw supporters from surrounding towns and states. Some die-hard fans travel across the country from rally to rally like groupies for a band.

Dr. Ashish Jha, director of Harvard’s Global Health Institute, called the upcoming Trump rally “an extraordinarily dangerous move for the people participating and the people who may know them and love them and see them afterward."

Trump supporters coming from neighboring cities and states could carry the virus back home, Jha said. "I’d feel the same way if Joe Biden were holding a rally.”

___

OKLAHOMA CASES LOW BUT RISING

In its final phase of reopening, Oklahoma now allows public gatherings of any size as long as organizers consider social distancing. Participants at any large gathering should stay 6 feet (1.8 meters) apart and wear a cloth face covering when distancing is a challenge, the state health department said.

The state has a relatively low death rate compared with the rest of the nation, but new cases are rising. In Tulsa, there were 82 new cases reported Saturday, a new high in daily increases for the county. The Tulsa Health Department already was investigating an outbreak linked to an indoor gathering of a large group of people.

Citing the spike in cases, Dart said he wished the rally would postponed to a later date "when the virus isn’t as large a concern as it is today.”

“I think it’s an honor for Tulsa to have a sitting president want to come and visit our community, but not during a pandemic,” Dart said in an interview Saturday with the Tulsa World.

Dart said the risk of spreading the virus increases with higher numbers of people congregating for longer periods of time.

Oklahoma health authorities said that anyone who attends a large public event should get tested for COVID-19 shortly afterward.

Shelley Payne, director of the LaMontagne Center for Infectious Disease at the University of Texas at Austin, said the Trump rally meets every criteria for the riskiest type of event.

“I would certainly recommend that people wear masks and try to keep as much distance as possible,” Payne said.

Julie Fischer, an associate research professor of microbiology and immunology at Georgetown University, said the event could have wide repercussions for the country.

“With a little bad luck, that scenario could end in the seeding of community outbreaks of COVID-19 across the U.S.,” she said.

___

(cont.)

post #11 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 01:10 AM

(cont.)

MASKS AND PRECAUTIONS

The Trump campaign has declined to respond to repeated questions about whether it will require attendees to wear masks, socially distance or take other measures to reduce the risk of virus transmission.

Trump has made clear that he believes empty seats are bad optics. “I can’t imagine a rally where you have every fourth seat full. Every — every six seats are empty for every one that you have full. That wouldn’t look too good,” he said in April.

Trump also insisted that the marquee event of the Republican National Convention — his acceptance of his party's nomination for reelection — be moved from Charlotte, North Carolina, to Jacksonville, Florida, after North Carolina's Democratic governor refused to promise he would not impose restrictions.

Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson, a former neurosurgeon, said Trump's rallies will be coordinated with public health authorities to maintain safety.

“As far as the virus is concerned, we have two choices: we can allow it to dominate us, or we can learn as much as we can about it and we can learn how to live with it in a safe, prescribed manner,” he said on “Fox News Sunday.” “And I think the second option is the one that’s going to be adopted.”

___

WHY NOW?

Trump has been eager to resume the rallies that are the centerpiece of his campaign. The president revels in his large crowds. The events let him vent and gauge the kind of rhetoric that will appeal to his ardent political base. They also help his campaign expand its voter databases and will serve as a contrast to Democratic challenger Biden, who has suspended campaign events because of the virus and hasn't attracted the same size of crowds.

But the decision to pull the trigger now was driven, in large part, by the mass anti-racism protests that have taken place across the country in the wake of George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis. Campaign and White House officials say the protests — and the limited public health outcry they generated — gave them cover. If it was OK for tens of thousands of people to march through the streets, demanding racial justice, why can't Trump rally his supporters, too?

Of course, the protests were held outside, with many participants wearing masks.

“Any large gathering, whether of protesters or ralliers, is dangerous,” Jha said. But infection is less likely at an outdoors moving march than at a crowded event in an enclosed space, he said, citing the air flow.

___

THE WAIVER

The Trump campaign, in recognition of the risk, has tried to protect itself from lawsuits with waiver language on its registration website.

“By clicking register below, you are acknowledging that an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present,” the campaign advised those signing up for the rally. “By attending the Rally, you and any guests voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 and agree not to hold Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.” liable for illness or injury.

___

Johnson reported from Washington state.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-ral...112936183.html

Red: ...Though attendees won't even be thinking about those people. They still actually believe that "If I get sick, I get sick, it's my choice and affects only me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

Magenta: Huge waste of perfectly good tests that could be used instead on people who actually follow CDC recommendations and try to stay safe...

Dark orchid: A little bad luck...? "Bad luck" is practically the name of this rally (this entire article is basically saying as much).

Medium turquoise: I think we already know the answer to this one, Mr. Lead-By-Maskless-Example President. (Stand a little closer.)

Deep sky blue: ...Because combating perceived bad optics saves far more lives than combating an actual deadly and highly contagious virus.

Pale green: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Orange: Actually, no, because this really is the very definition of something NOT safe and prescribed. Also, you go first.

Silver: ...Because protecting yourself from lawsuits is far more important and noble than protecting your own constituents--and voter base.

post #12 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 01:24 AM

...It's like long ago he made a bet with himself to someday do the exact same things he criticized other people for doing.

This one he liked so much, he said it twice. A month apart.

post #13 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 01:31 AM
drifting in mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_8U0d6zK9M
...It's like long ago he made a bet with himself to someday do the exact same things he criticized other people for doing.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TrumpCriticizesTrump/
post #14 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelight View Post
Yeah, I love that sub. It seems like it can't even be real but it is.

post #15 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 05:03 PM
SAS Member

I don't care what one thinks of Trump, but this whole issue with the ramp and drinking water is the most ridiculous criticism/questioning of the man I've come across, or at least the most ridiculous this year. Nothing about his walk down the ramp would make you question his health - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! This is manufactured! If you're going down a plank that you are unfamiliar with, without a handrail, sharing the space with someone else beside you, you're probably going to look down to make sure you're stepping right and negotiating the material of it correctly, whether it was smooth or small stairs (unclear).
post #16 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 05:38 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedOver View Post
I don't care what one thinks of Trump, but this whole issue with the ramp and drinking water is the most ridiculous criticism/questioning of the man I've come across, or at least the most ridiculous this year. Nothing about his walk down the ramp would make you question his health - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! This is manufactured! If you're going down a plank that you are unfamiliar with, without a handrail, sharing the space with someone else beside you, you're probably going to look down to make sure you're stepping right and negotiating the material of it correctly, whether it was smooth or small stairs (unclear).
The walk down the ramp is debatable, but it's also not something I would spend any airtime on. The water on the other hand, he literally could not raise a glass of water with his right hand. It's not the first time he's used two hands to take a sip of water either. He's also been on video recently with what looks to be involuntary movement of his right arm, and he's slurred the odd word when he speaks as well. The public should be aware of the president's health. I also don't think the media would be on this as much as they are if Trump hasn't been adamant that he's in perfect health when they are visual indications otherwise, and if Trump and his campaign didn't take every opportunity to basically call Biden old and senile with every verbal gaffe he's had in recent months.

In other Trump news today, he said that he considers every conversation between him and Bolton classified when it just does not work that way. He is so scared of Bolton releasing that book. Regarding COVID-19, Trump also said that if they stop testing, they wouldn't have cases. There are no words necessary to point out just how incredible that is, and not in a good way either.
post #17 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 05:54 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGVan View Post
The walk down the ramp is debatable, but it's also not something I would spend any airtime on. The water on the other hand, he literally could not raise a glass of water with his right hand. It's not the first time he's used two hands to take a sip of water either. He's also been on video recently with what looks to be involuntary movement of his right arm, and he's slurred the odd word when he speaks as well. The public should be aware of the president's health. I also don't think the media would be on this as much as they are if Trump hasn't been adamant that he's in perfect health when they are visual indications otherwise, and if Trump and his campaign didn't take every opportunity to basically call Biden old and senile with every verbal gaffe he's had in recent months.
But this is not an indication of poor health. With the drinking water, two explanations exist that someone could come to if they actually have a clear head. He's possibly looking at his teleprompter, was probably trying to pick up his next sentence, while drinking, and had to get the glass up while doing that so that he didn't have to look down. The other is that perhaps his arm was tired. I'm not sure if his speech was before or after the graduation, but if after, he was saluting each cadet that came up, over and over again. You try doing that and then having a fully steady arm at his age.
post #18 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 06:57 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
But this is not an indication of poor health. With the drinking water, two explanations exist that someone could come to if they actually have a clear head. He's possibly looking at his teleprompter, was probably trying to pick up his next sentence, while drinking, and had to get the glass up while doing that so that he didn't have to look down. The other is that perhaps his arm was tired. I'm not sure if his speech was before or after the graduation, but if after, he was saluting each cadet that came up, over and over again. You try doing that and then having a fully steady arm at his age.
Sorry, we're just not going to agree about the water. As for his speech, I wasn't referring to the graduation, I was speaking in general. He has slurred words many times. Here's one example from 2017...

I doubt he's drunk. Maybe he has false teeth that weren't bonded properly. However, when a president is visibly struggling like this, it's not ridiculous to ask about his health. As you allude to, he's an old man. Health is bound to decline at that age. I see it in my dad every day, as he's almost 70 years old now. I also know how my dad will deny, deny and deny again when I tell him he asked the same question 15 minutes earlier. I don't even think it's a knock against Trump if he's just getting old or if he really did have a stroke or other real emergency when he was rushed to the hospital last November. All I would want as a citizen, is to know my head of state if mentally coherent, and frankly, Trump makes us wonder time and time again. And no, I don't trust his personal doctor(s) either. They will say what he wants them to say.
post #19 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Your explanations make little sense to me (especially the teleprompter one, I can't figure out why he would need to use a second hand to "get the glass up" so he could see it--in fact, that seems like it'd make it even more difficult to see), but whatever, you're free to believe them.

The comment that "two explanations exist that someone could come to if they actually have a clear head," however, is a rather low jab and not in the spirit of this new thread (take note of the moderator warning at the beginning). I wouldn't go telling you you obviously don't have a clear head because you have theories different from mine.

Obviously there are far more than just two logical theories, and I'm not some kind of muddle-headed idiot for believing in a different one. (You also seemed to overlook my own theories behind the ramp incident, which didn't involve health issues.)

And to avoid engaging in any further such comments and endangering the thread, I won't be responding further, thanks.

post #20 of 832 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 07:39 PM

Trump on coronavirus: 'If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any'
BY NATHANIEL WEIXEL - 06/15/20 04:32 PM EDT

President Trump on Monday downplayed concerns of a rising number of coronavirus cases in states across the country, indicating that the increase was due to more testing.

"If we stop testing right now, we’d have very few cases, if any,” Trump said during a White House event highlighting administration actions to help senior citizens.

Trump has frequently made inconsistent comments on testing. At times he has sought to downplay the severity of the coronavirus pandemic by saying the U.S. has tested more people than any other country, and as a result, the number of confirmed cases is higher.

Other times, Trump has complained that the positivity rates and case counts are too high, because the country has been testing so many people.

Trump's dual views on testing were on full display in a message tweeted Monday morning.

"Our testing is so much bigger and more advanced than any other country (we have done a great job on this!) that it shows more cases. Without testing, or weak testing, we would be showing almost no cases. Testing is a double edged sword - Makes us look bad, but good to have!!!" Trump tweeted.

Vice President Pence made similar comments on Monday, suggesting the White House has already shifted focus from addressing the health impacts of the virus to holding campaign rallies and reopening states as quickly as possible.

The Trump administration has signaled it has no interest in the nation having a new series of lockdowns given the economic damage shutting down the country has already had.

Administration health officials like White House coronavirus task force coordinator Deborah Birx and Anthony Fauci have played considerably less of a public role since the White House ended daily coronavirus briefings in April.

The pandemic has hit the United States during an election year, and Trump's poll numbers have fallen in the midst of the crisis.

Yet even as health experts are warning about surges in states such as Texas, Florida, Arizona, Alabama, Oklahoma and Arkansas, Pence said the country has been making “steady progress” toward putting the coronavirus “farther and farther in the past.”

Pence said the spike was likely due to a “dramatic increase in testing.”

The number of coronavirus cases has surged in 20 states over the past week, according to data analyzed by The New York Times. Those numbers can be misleading, as some states are also increasing the number of people tested.

However, some states have seen the number of daily tests decline even as the seven-day average of new cases increases. In other states, the rate of new cases is increasing faster than the increase in the average number of tests.

The percentage of positive test results out of total tests has also been on the rise, meaning states do not have the virus under control despite reopening businesses.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...very-few-cases

The scary thing is, his followers believe this, too. My brother is one, and my dad told me how after they talked on the phone, he was saying, "The only reason there are so many new cases is because of testing! If we weren't testing, there wouldn't be all these new cases!"

To which I said my dad should've asked him, "Then what about all the new hospitalizations?" Because no amount of new testing can account for those. It's basic science.

Does Trump really believe that if we stop testing right now, all the CURRENT CASES we have are just...going to go poof and disappear? I know, I know... ...people will try to explain what he REALLY meant, what he was REALLY saying...but he's the straight talker, the one who says it like it is, and those are his words, right there.

"If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page