Liz Warren - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Yoink

Lightbulb

Liz Warren

Senator Elizabeth Warren would make a great President. Or even a great Vice President for President Bernie Sanders

https://www.alternet.org/2019/06/her...ocrats-do-not/

Quote:
Here’s what Elizabeth Warren understands about the economy — that other Democrats do not

MSNBC

written by Bob Hennelly / Salon June 9, 2019

AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to Flipboard

Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to More93Share to Email

The pundit class is so heavily invested in Joe Biden’s bid they are doing their best to ignore the role that Senator Elizabeth Warren’s comments at her MSNBC Town Hall played in…

The pundit class is so heavily invested in Joe Biden’s bid they are doing their best to ignore the role that Senator Elizabeth Warren’s comments at her MSNBC Town Hall played in the former vice-president’s abrupt decision the next day to end his decades-long support of the Hyde Amendment.

For weeks now, as Warren has risen steadily in the polls, corporate media bleaters have been at a loss to explain her effectiveness. Perhaps the shell-shock from the bombast of Donald Trump interferes with their grasp of the persuasive power of her shaker rocker-like delivery that embodies the simplicity, utility and honesty of that style.

Since 1976 the Hyde provision, named for GOP Rep. Henry Hyde, has prevented generations of poor and working-class women from getting a Medicaid funded abortion. So, why after backing Hyde for decades did Biden flip?

At her Town Hall in Fort Wayne, Indiana, Warren, whose life story includes a struggle to balance motherhood and limited means to claim her potential, succinctly described the Hyde amendment for what it always was: brutal socio-economic discrimination that hit the poor and working-class women of color the hardest.

“And under the Hyde amendment, under every one of these efforts to try to chip away or to pushback or to get rid of Roe v. Wade, understand this — women of means will still have access to abortions,” she told the Town Hall broadcast on MSNBC. “Who won’t, will be poor women. It will be working women, it will be women who can’t afford to take off three days from work, [it] will be very young women . . . . We do not pass laws that take away that freedom from the women who are most vulnerable.”

Over applause, she continued. “It’s been the law for a while, and it’s been wrong for a long time. Because it really is. It’s just discrimination.”

Twenty-four hours later it was Biden’s turn.

“I can’t justify leaving millions of women without access to the care they need and the ability to exercise their constitutionally protected right,” he said. “If I believe health care is a right, as I do, I can no longer support an amendment that makes that right dependent on their zip code.”

On “Morning Joe,” the morning after Uncle Joe’s pirouette, the collective wisdom on the set was that it was the exclusive handiwork of the network’s own reporting. The always affable Donny Deutsch predicted the Biden about-face would just be another example of how, as with Donald Trump, the former Number Two was coated in a mystical Teflon (They can’t stop bracketing).

I kept waiting for a cut to that Warren re-play from the Town Hall but there would be no free earned media for the senior Senator from Massachusetts in that “Morning Joe” segment. We can’t be juxtaposing her comments in the Biden bracket.

You can’t help but think that this is an editorial omission with prejudice because the cable pundits knock on Warren has been that she does not have what it takes to stand toe-to-toe and get the best of Donald Trump — that’s man’s work (See the 2016 GOP primary field carnage).

They can ignore Warren all they want but, the reality is that the specificity of her plans, like her student debt elimination proposal, along with her “let’s get this done” entreaty make her engaging. All of her programs, from her green manufacturing proposal to her free college plan are parts of an integrated economic strategy to flip the script, not by half-measures but by bold strokes on the scale of FDR.

Rest assured, the script needs to flip.

Consider the findings of the Equality of Opportunity Project that in 2016 looked back over the last several decades to track the trends of upward mobility by determining what percentage of each generation went on to out-earn their parents. What they found was that for adults born in 1940, 90 percent were upwardly mobile while just half born in the 1980s had surpassed their parents economically.

“We conclude that absolute mobility has declined sharply in America over the past half-century primarily because of the growth in inequality,” wrote the researchers. “If one wants to revive the “American Dream” of high rates of absolute mobility, one must have an interest in growth that is shared more broadly across the income distribution.”

This great American slide is a bi-partisan accomplishment of a national government that has increasingly become captive to Wall Street and multi-nationals. The decision in the Obama/Biden administration to preserve the big banks at the expense of homeowners on Main Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard helped disappear trillions of dollars in household wealth.

Long before Warren was elected, she was a zealous consumer advocate in the trenches fighting for the poor and working-class families victimized by the payday lenders and consumer credit sharks. She knows how many of those battles she lost. Warren knows that for an increasing number of families the American Dream is well beyond their grasp as wealth concentration continues to accelerate.

Her economic message is mostly like to get traction in the Midwest where Democrats have to win and where Trump exploited the neo-liberal failures and flipped those states like Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania that had voted for Obama/Biden twice because they never saw the alleged recovery.

“We’re in Fort Wayne, Indiana, because people in Indiana understand jobs,” Warren said at her Town Hall. “They understand how you build an economy that doesn’t just work for a thin slice at the top, but an economy that works for everyone.”

She continued. “But people in Fort Wayne, Indiana, also understand that leaving it to a handful of giant multinational corporations to build our economy just isn’t working. You know, those big corporations, they don’t have any loyalty to America. They don’t have any loyalty to American workers. They have loyalty to exactly one thing, and that is their own profits. And what we’ve got to do is we’ve got to have a government that doesn’t say, hey, whatever it is that the giant multinational corporations want, let us help you. We’ve got to have a government that says we need this economy — we need this country to work for working people. And that’s what we’re going to do.”

There’s not much time.

This socio-economic erosion of prospects for our children has been underway awhile. The America that was once rooted in the notion that each successive generation would do better economically than their parents is rapidly slipping into our rearview mirror.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:28 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Pocahontas? Uh huh......Hillary, Jr.

Instead of the pantsuit, it's the same black shirt with the colored jacket that looks like it's two sizes to small for her. That hairdo? Don't get me started.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:14 AM
SAS Member

She's my second choice after Bernie Sanders.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:23 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
I'm pretty sure she's autistic.

I'm going with Gabbard
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Yoink

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...paign=trending

Quote:
Elizabeth Warren's campaign manager explains why she flipped the script and refuses to do rope lines

Walter Einenkel
Daily Kos Staff

Monday June 24, 2019 · 4:51 PM EDT

Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s campaign manager Roger Lau was interviewed by CNN recently and in one of the clips released, he explains that he and Warren had their biggest “disagreement” over rope lines. Rope lines are the barrier put in place between the “public” and the “subject” of the event. At big rallies those rope lines are usually metal barricades, like bike racks or fencing, dressed with American flags and campaign signage. The candidates come to the line, shake some hands, listen to a few people who are pressed to the front of the barricade and maybe take a few photos, moving across the rope line and out a door and off to another event.

According to Lau, Warren asked him why they had to do rope lines and Lau explained that having photos taken and meeting people at rallies was good organizing and publicity for any campaign, and the press liked having the line to separate them. Warren replied, “Okay, Roger, so if those are your three goals let me ask you this: when I look to the left [of the rope] I see big donors, elected officials, people I saw backstage. I look to the right and I see wheelchairs, and people with walkers, and I can’t get to them because of the bike rack. I look in the middle and it’s all the most aggressive people who got to the front. I don’t see little girls, I’m not able to shake hands with older people. What if, we invited every single person who wanted to to come to stage to take a photo, you know, on stage?”

Lau tells CNN he shook his head and said no way were they going to do that. He explained that that would take forever, and it would be exhausting for her. The two went back and forth over the next few weeks leading up to Warren’s first event. The night before the event Warren told Lau that she trusted him implicitly and would agree with whatever his decision on the matter would be but warned him that “If there is even a single person in that room who wants to say hello, or wants to take a photo, who didn’t get a photo, I’ll consider this event a failure.”

Long story short, Warren has taken those photos after every event and just watching her do it is exhausting, but as Lao says “She was right.”

all hate and money
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:28 PM
SAS Member

She can try anything she wants, she's still in with them.

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Yoink

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...sal-corruption

Quote:
Elizabeth Warren thinks corruption is why the US hasn’t acted on climate change

Here’s how she intends to fight greenhouse gases and money in politics.

By Umair Irfan Jun 22, 2019, 7:00am EDT

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren has released not one, but three climate change plans as part of her campaign for president. So far.

Since April, she has outlined an agenda to counter growing greenhouse gas emissions and rising average temperatures through policies for public lands, the military, and US manufacturing. And more are in the works, according to her campaign.

Her piecemeal approach is distinct from the other Democratic candidates who’ve released climate proposals as a comprehensive bundle. Chief among them is Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, who has made climate change the raison d’être for his run.

Warren isn’t making climate change the centerpiece of her agenda, nor placing it in an “environmental” silo. Instead, she is using different parts of her agenda to address the climate crisis. She is making the policy case that climate change is a national security concern, an economic threat and opportunity, and the consequence of a violation of public trust.

That’s because Warren doesn’t see climate change itself as the central problem; rather, the problem is money in politics. “The reason the United States is where it is on climate is corruption,” Chris Hayden, a spokesperson for the Warren campaign, told Vox. “We need to rein in the economic and political power of Big Oil to get serious about addressing climate change — which is why the first thing Elizabeth would do as President is pass her anti-corruption bill which would end lobbying as we know it.”

Climate change is an existential threat. There is no Planet B for us. At our house party in Lebanon, NH this weekend, I talked about how we need to protect our environment—and my new ideas to protect public lands is a step in that direction. pic.twitter.com/tjAgPC1puq
— Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) April 16, 2019
The open questions then are whether Warren’s strategy will make her agenda more palatable to voters, and if her policies would do enough to avert the most dangerous risks from climate change. Although Democratic National Committee has ruled out holding a climate change-specific debate, the issue is likely to come up in the first round of Democratic presidential debates on June 26 and 27 in Miami, a city struggling with sea level rise. Let’s take a closer look.

Warren has published three detailed climate change-related policies so far

Warren has laid out her climate agenda to date in a series of Medium posts. The first, published in April, deals with public lands. She observed that almost a quarter of US greenhouse gas emissions come from fossil fuels — oil, gas, and coal — extracted from territory administered by the federal government.

The profits from extracting these fuels mainly flow into powerful private hands, but the negative consequences — air pollution, degraded ecosystems, greenhouse gases — are borne by the public. “We must not allow corporations to pillage our public lands and leave taxpayers to clean up the mess,” she wrote.

On her first day as president, Warren would declare a moratorium on all new fossil fuel leases on public lands. “[T]hat’s pretty significant — putting all our federal lands, it’s nearly a quarter of our land mass, on the side of helping the climate instead of being a source of more carbon in the air,” Warren told Vox earlier this month. She would also reinstate an Obama-era rule that restricted the emissions of methane, a potent greenhouse gas, from existing drilling and mining sites.

At the same time, Warren’s proposal calls from generating 10 percent of US electricity from renewable energy on public lands and waters through expediting permitting and approvals for projects. The royalties from these generators would then be used to further wean the country off fossil fuels.

all hate and money
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Yoink

Democrats are alarmed by Climate Change, the only thing that alarms Republicans is paying their fair share of anything

Quote:
Warren’s second climate policy pillar focuses on the US military, the single-largest greenhouse gas-emitting institution in the world. Its massive footprint with bases spread out across more than 70 countries devours huge amounts of fuel and electricity to move personnel and equipment. US tanks, aircraft, ships, and power generators together emitted 59 million metric tons of carbon dioxide in 2017. If it were a country, the US military would rank 55th in greenhouse gas emissions.

But climate change also threatens the armed forces. Extreme weather has already damaged major military installations and many more are at risk from rising sea levels. The massive population movements expected in the wake of looming droughts, severe heat, and storms exacerbated by climate change create could lay the groundwork for future conflict. That’s why military planners have described climate change as a “threat multiplier.”

To address these concerns, Warren introduced the Defense Climate Resiliency and Readiness Act in Congress. “It starts with an ambitious goal: consistent with the objectives of the Green New Deal, the Pentagon should achieve net zero carbon emissions for all its non-combat bases and infrastructure by 2030,” Warren wrote.

Warren also said that military contractors should also be held to these climate targets and that the Department of Defense should prioritize threats from climate change. The proposal also calls for more clean energy research, infrastructure upgrades, and an audit of climate vulnerability for all military bases.

Her latest climate policy released earlier this month centers on “economic patriotism.” This uses climate change to motivate a new economic development push. It puts meat on the bones of the “just transition” idea outlined in the Green New Deal and it’s the longest of Warren’s climate proposals (Vox’s Matt Yglesias explained the proposal in more detail).

The idea is that a sharp turn away from fossil fuels and toward clean energy demands coordination across the economy. The transition requires not just cushioning the blow for fossil fuel workers who would lose their jobs, but also creating a massive surge in demand for clean energy jobs.

In Warren’s proposal, there’s a Green Industrial Mobilization mandating $1.5 trillion in federal procurement for US-made low-carbon technology, a Green Marshall Plan to help foreign countries buy US clean energy technologies, and a Green Apollo Program to invest $400 billion in energy research and development over a decade. So her proposal doesn’t just zero out emissions in the United States; it aims to drive down emissions around the world.

“According to an independent economic analysis from Moody’s, my plan will meaningfully increase economic growth and create more than a million new jobs,” Warren wrote. “It will help reverse the massive manufacturing job losses of the last two decades that have hurt middle-class families and hit Black workers and communities hardest — all while allowing America to lead the global effort to address climate change.”

One place where Warren’s climate policies stand out from those of other Democratic presidential hopefuls is her frankness in how she intends to pay for them. Rather than just tax credits and working to “mobilize” private investment (as some other candidates have suggested), Warren is going back to the old-fashioned tactic of taxing wealth and corporate profits. “Her Green Manufacturing plan — just one part of her strategy to tackle climate change — is paid for by Elizabeth’s Real Corporate Profits Tax , ending federal oil and gas subsidies, and closing corporate tax loopholes that promote moving good jobs overseas,” Hayden said.

So Warren has a more tangible and snappier answer to the inevitable pay-for question that follows just about any climate proposal.

Environmentalists give Warren’s policies points for their depth, but want to push her further

Taken together, Warren’s climate policies to date are still not as far-reaching as those put out by Inslee, who has released three big proposals and says more are coming. His climate change agenda to date encompasses agriculture, financing, foreign policy, transportation, energy efficiency, and education.

But some environmental groups are nonetheless impressed with Warren. “There’s no question that the climate crisis can and will affect so many aspects of our economy, our society, and our lives,” said Sierra Club national political director Ariel Hayes in an email. “Senator Warren’s ambitious and strong plans recognize that reality thoroughly and propose solutions accordingly.”

Greenpeace upgraded its rating of Warren in its climate scorecard this week for presidential contenders in light of her green manufacturing proposal. It has her tied with Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and behind Inslee and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker.

“We think that if she could put out a more comprehensive plan, she’d be able to touch on a lot of areas really in her wheelhouse,” said Tim Donaghy, a senior researcher with Greenpeace USA. “In particular one of the things we’re focusing on is trying to push the candidates to do more on fossil fuel supply.”

Donaghy pointed out that whileWarren’s public lands plan stops new fossil fuel development, limiting planetary warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius this century, the more ambitious goal under the Paris climate agreement, requires aggressively clamping down on existing fossil fuel production. Without restricting the current output of fossil fuels, a clean energy program in the United States could simply end up leading to more fossil fuel exports, according to Donaghy.

Andrew Light, a former state department climate adviser under President Obama who contributed to the foreign policy portion of Inslee’s latest climate proposal, said that Warren’s approach to climate policy is compelling.

“I think what’s really good here is that climate change is not siloed into one bucket,“ Light said. Given that the impacts of climate change reach far-reaching impacts on health, the economy, social justice, and national security, it makes sense to bring it up those contexts. “I think that it’s important enough that you would have to bake it into how you’re thinking about public lands, a jobs strategy, or security,” Light said.

There’s also plenty of time between now and the first primary ballots, and Warren is still coming out with more proposals, so she could continue to fill in some of the gaps between her and Inslee.

all hate and money
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Yoink

part 3 of 3

Quote:
Democrats are alarmed about climate change, but Warren’s strategy could help her sway voters in a general election

Polls show that Democrats are deeply concerned about climate change. One recent CNN poll found that climate change was the No. 1 issue for Democratic primary voters.

Among the US population as a whole, a growing majority are concerned about climate change and support policies to address it. But history has shown us that Americans have been this worried about climate change before. Climate change polled at similar levels in 2008 and was pushed to the backburner as the financial crisis and the recession took hold.

Warren’s strategy of framing climate change as an economic issue and a national security concern could help keep it front and center during another economic downturn or escalating international conflict. It could also be her opening to more climate change-skeptical general election voters who are not seeing rising sea levels or extreme weather firsthand.

“I think that it’s absolutely unquestionable that whoever becomes the next president has to be able to talk about all the issues that Americans are concerned about,” Light said. “They must appeal to states where they don’t see climate change in front of them.”

The true test of this will be at the ballot box, but we may get a sense of how well Warren’s approach stands up in the first round of Democratic presidential debates beginning June 26. Warren will share the stage with Inslee on Wednesday night.

all hate and money
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/billi...b07ae90da25162

Quote:

Please Tax Us More, 19 U.S. Billionaires Plead In Letter To Presidential Candidates

We “enjoy uncommon fortunes, but each of us wants to live in an America that solves the biggest challenges of our common future,” notes the plea.

By Mary Papenfuss

Nineteen U.S. billionaires are calling for a new wealth tax on their holdings to battle income inequality in the nation and boost public revenue to make America a better place.

“America has a moral, ethical and economic responsibility to tax our wealth more,” declared the billionaires in a letter Monday addressed to the “2020 Presidential Candidates.”

“Instituting a wealth tax is in the interest of our republic .... The next dollar of new tax revenue should come from the most financially fortunate, not from middle-income and lower-income Americans.”

Signers included liberal philanthropist and financier George Soros and his son Alexander Soros, Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes, heiress Abigail Disney and “Anonymous.”

They argue that the money raised — about $3 trillion over 10 years — could “substantially fund” investment in programs including clean energy, universal child care, infrastructure overhauls and tax relief for low-income families.

The letter calls proposals such as one floated by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) a “moderate” tax on a “minuscule number of Americans” — including them.

Warren has proposed a 2% marginal tax on assets beyond the first $50 million and a further 1% on assets worth more than $1 billion. She estimates that such a tax would affect just 75,000 families.

“Those of us signing this letter enjoy uncommon fortunes, but each of us wants to live in an America that solves the biggest challenges of our common future,” the letter notes.

The billionaires call a wealth tax “fair” and “patriotic.” It’s also a “powerful tool for solving our climate change crisis,” will “make America healthier,” and is good for the economy and democracy, the letter argues.

“Those of us in the richest one-tenth of the richest 1%” — who hold nearly as much wealth as the bottom 90% — “should be proud to pay a bit more of our fortune forward to America’s future,” the letter concludes.

“We’ll be fine. Taking on this tax is the least we can do to strengthen the country we love.”

all hate and money
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:53 AM
SAS Member

Corruption causing problems with climate change action?
That's the pot calling the kettle black, Pocahontas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath9 View Post
Democrats are alarmed by Climate Change, the only thing that alarms Republicans is paying their fair share of anything
The Green New Deal will BANKRUPT the United States. Other countries won't lift a finger or a "pen and a phone".

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:15 AM
Revolution > Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
The Green New Deal will BANKRUPT the United States. Other countries won't lift a finger or a "pen and a phone".
The GND won't bankrupt the US, ever since the GOP jumped on the supply-side bandwagon it seems they've forgotten how an investment works.

Also other countries are doing a lot, whether it's the government itself or the citizens using direct action to pressure some kind of change. Just the other day in Germany tens of thousands of activists halted work at a coal mine. It's us Americans who won't lift a finger. Also writing or calling your congressperson doesn't do anything.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed

She kinda looks like Chris Farley reincarnated as a more slender female.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page