If this doesn't make you "paranoid" I don't know what will... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed

If this doesn't make you "paranoid" I don't know what will...

OR, as I like to say, you're only paranoid if you're wrong.

The only thing that surprises me about this is that the left didn't go there first. Well, the left has been demanding that they "do something!". Well, this is something, isn't it? Maybe be careful what you ask for in the future? It's unconstitutional, of course - But since when does that matter these days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:42 AM
SAS Member

I love Minority Report.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:14 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
In the UK conservatives are pretty in on surveillance and control of the internet. I got into a debate with someone here before where they wanted to insist that the conservative party are 'left wing' when I spoke about that LOL. But people are generally confused about where to place neocons/neolibs.

Also not sure how the out of date left/right thing even applies to this situation. Lots of people have been discussing this issue. I don't think most people are OK with frequent mass shootings or at least the ones who are don't map to a specific political alignment.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
No worries. If dotard donald said it'll happen then it won't happen.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:39 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
What percentage of people with mental health problems or that prescribe to terrorist, racist ideologies in this regard actually become mass shooters though, it's probably less than 10%, what he's suggesting is a witch-hunt.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I don't think most people are OK with frequent mass shootings or at least the ones who are don't map to a specific political alignment.
Generally, there is not a political party that does not actually want big government (although some of them pay lip service to limited government when it suits them to brown nose for their key constituencies). They just want it in different flavors. Which doesn't stop the flavor from changing in the next election cycle and you suddenly find yourself drinking something you hate.

Of course once the public concedes that "mental illness" actually means "you no longer have any rights" (And let's face it. That's it in a nutshell, no pun) they can gradually move the goalposts and broaden the definition of "mental illness" at their leisure. And eventually it can mean whatever they want it to mean. People who are not "mentally ill" in the traditional sense of the word will not (and are meant not to) feel like this is a threat to them. And they won't....until it is. And then they will wonder when they went crazy. At any rate, whenever it becomes what it will become, no one will know who to blame or when it happened or why. Baby steps. Given enough of them, probably no one will even be asking what went wrong.

The current state of things is something most people probably could not have imagined more than 20 years ago. Not that long.

EDIT - Also, I don't think many people have been talking much about the specific issue I linked to in the article. Oh plenty of people have been talking about mass shootings for ages but don't blame them when their hysteria causes things like this. How could they have possibly known the government wants more power? Well, no matter. We can just blame it all on Trump. (Not that I wouldn't blame him. Just that he's only part of the machine that made it happen and it would still happen without him).

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:23 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Generally, there is not a political party that does not actually want big government (although some of them pay lip service to limited government when it suits them to brown nose for their key constituencies). They just want it in different flavors. Which doesn't stop the flavor from changing in the next election cycle and you suddenly find yourself drinking something you hate.

Of course once the public concedes that "mental illness" actually means "you no longer have any rights" (And let's face it. That's it in a nutshell, no pun) they can gradually move the goalposts and broaden the definition of "mental illness" at their leisure. And eventually it can mean whatever they want it to mean. People who are not "mentally ill" in the traditional sense of the word will not (and are meant not to) feel like this is a threat to them. And they won't....until it is. And then they will wonder when they went crazy. At any rate, whenever it becomes what it will become, no one will know who to blame or when it happened or why. Baby steps. Given enough of them, probably no one will even be asking what went wrong.

The current state of things is something most people probably could not have imagined more than 20 years ago. Not that long.

EDIT - Also, I don't think many people have been talking much about the specific issue I linked to in the article. Oh plenty of people have been talking about mass shootings for ages but don't blame them when their hysteria causes things like this. How could they have possibly known the government wants more power?
Eh I think they sort of did imagine things, maybe not 100% but I mean people have been writing about dystopias for half a century or more.

Also the definition of mental illness is pretty much based on culture/politics a lot of the time yeah. That's why video game addiction specifically is in the dsm now, why most atypical sexualities are pathologized, and being attracted to androgyny preferentially is bad™

https://www.reddit.com/r/FeMRADebate...d_orientation/

Well as for the article my point was I don't think anyone is really asking for the solution he's come up with, but most people wanted something to be done about it because nobody wanted the shootings to continue.

edit:

Trump knows he can't touch guns because it would alienate his voter base, but he has to seem like he's 'taking this issue seriously' and really this sort of thing is probably what he wants anyway.

When he was running for president he said something like this:

"Well, look. This is so easy to answer. ISIS is recruiting through the Internet. ISIS is using the Internet better than we are using the Internet, and it was our idea," he said. "What I wanted to do is I wanted to get our brilliant people from Silicon Valley and other places and figure out a way that ISIS cannot do what they are doing. You talk freedom of speech, you talk anything you want."

"We have to see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening" in order to "close up" parts of the Internet."

"And then on second, we should be able to penetrate the Internet and find out exactly where ISIS is and everything about ISIS. and we can do that if we use our good people," Trump said. "But we should be using our brilliant people, our most brilliant minds."

Also banned transpeople from the military. So yeah nobody should be surprised about this.

Damn reading the verbatim quotes of Trump or listening to him speak is wild, he sounds so dumb.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.

🎸

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:46 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
What percentage of people with mental health problems or that prescribe to terrorist, racist ideologies in this regard actually become mass shooters though, it's probably less than 10%, what he's suggesting is a witch-hunt.
Yeah, they have been very in vogue as of the last several years though:

Man I hope I get to see Radiohead live at a smallish venue before they come for me. Their last tour had 3 back to back concerts in Camden, London that were all sold out way too quickly (in 20 minutes in fact,) before I could get tickets.

Quote:

🎸

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:46 PM
The King in Yellow

Language: Bocce... it's like a second language to me.
Quote:
OR, as I like to say, you're only paranoid if you're wrong.

The only thing that surprises me about this is that the left didn't go there first. Well, the left has been demanding that they "do something!". Well, this is something, isn't it? Maybe be careful what you ask for in the future? It's unconstitutional, of course - But since when does that matter these days?
I mean, the US directing it's shady surveillance programs toward it's own citizen's doesn't seem to working. Must be time to up the ante.

Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:01 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Man I hope I get to see Radiohead live at a smallish venue before they come for me.
Your comment made me think of this, you're Homer & swap TV with Radiohead

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:17 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

EDIT - Also, I don't think many people have been talking much about the specific issue I linked to in the article. Oh plenty of people have been talking about mass shootings for ages but don't blame them when their hysteria causes things like this. How could they have possibly known the government wants more power? Well, no matter. We can just blame it all on Trump. (Not that I wouldn't blame him. Just that he's only part of the machine that made it happen and it would still happen without him).
One of the many problems with these 'War on [insert epidemic]' type programs is that they almost always become a tool to further screw over minorities and other disadvantaged communities, and we're all going to be footing the bill on this BS. Both parties looove 'Big Gov', one of the few things I have to give libertarians credit for is they're more likely to mean what they say and help get rid of these types of federal programs, among other things.

Edit: As far as the modern additions to surveillance obviously W Bush's reaction to 911 really kicked it off but then Obama, despite running on making the government more open to the public, turned around and put everything together for a legitimate surveillance state. Bush and Obama set up the place pretty well for some authoritarian pr*ck to get in the White House and go full 1984.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:35 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
idk, looks like a lot of speculation over just a few non-specific words.

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:50 PM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Your comment made me think of this, you're Homer & swap TV with Radiohead

lol well sadly Radiohead doesn't have that effect on me, maybe MSI? (the band, not the company that makes motherboards.)

They do get me.

But nothing does really except time.

Quote:

🎸

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:57 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Quote:
Eh I think they sort of did imagine things, maybe not 100% but I mean people have been writing about dystopias for half a century or more.

Also the definition of mental illness is pretty much based on culture/politics a lot of the time yeah. That's why video game addiction specifically is in the dsm now,

edit:

Trump knows he can't touch guns because it would alienate his voter base, but he has to seem like he's 'taking this issue seriously' and really this sort of thing is probably what he wants anyway.

When he was running for president he said something like this:

"Well, look. This is so easy to answer. ISIS is recruiting through the Internet. ISIS is using the Internet better than we are using the Internet, and it was our idea," he said. "What I wanted to do is I wanted to get our brilliant people from Silicon Valley and other places and figure out a way that ISIS cannot do what they are doing. You talk freedom of speech, you talk anything you want."

"We have to see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening" in order to "close up" parts of the Internet."

"And then on second, we should be able to penetrate the Internet and find out exactly where ISIS is and everything about ISIS. and we can do that if we use our good people," Trump said. "But we should be using our brilliant people, our most brilliant minds."
Speaking of that:

This again lol. I am so done with this - the argument has been going on close to my entire life lol. Though apparently he brought up the internet too.

15 minutes onwards in that video reminds me of this:

'whose a bigger influence the president or Marilyn Manson? I'd like to think me but I'm going to go with the president.'

Nothing changes lol.

Quote:

🎸

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:24 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Ironically....what Trump is proposing with HARPA is exactly what the conservative pro-gun lobbies claim they defend with the 2nd amendment.

They are always chiming about "protecting oneself from the gov't" ....yet are willing to allow the gov't to experiment with our minds, instead of allowing stricter gun laws....way to go guys.

As the OP said....it is ironic that such a controlling idea is coming from the Conservatives...it's completely contrary to the NRA's talking point.

But then again...that is what happens when people stupidly adhere to one side of the political spectrum completely ...they go so far to one side...that they end up coming full circle and doing the opposite of their stated political stance.

1) The Conservatives, are so hung up on guns and protecting the 2nd amendment for the sake of having a well regulated militia to protect citizens from tyranical government...that they are willing to let the government experiment on people's minds instead of giving up their guns...thereby giving into the very government tyranny they claim to oppose.

2) Liberals so up their rear about abortion that some proposed a sex-strike as a political stance...ironically meaning, abstinence...the very stance the conservatives have had all along !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page