Hate for Profit - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

Hate for Profit

Elizabeth Warren is right about the modus operandi (MO) of the Fox News propaganda machine.

It is also the mode of operation for the GOP and Trump supporters.

Hate for profit

Cheat for profit

Lie for profit

Discriminate for profit

Kill for profit

Destroy for profit

They don't mind committing any kind of crime or evil, because they believe it will profit them in the end

Black Sabbath may have Sold Their Souls for Rock N Roll, but the right-wing has sold their souls for a few dollars more

Quote:
https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...te-for-profit/

Elizabeth Warren's 'Hate-For-Profit' Label Might Just Stick to Fox News

The 2020 Democrat announced she'd rejected a town hall invitation from the network on the back of her trip through Trump country.

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/rover/profile_photos/0b1812cd-e29f-44af-a0d3-74c35dc4b603.jpg?fill=1:1&resize=80:*[/IMG]
By Charles P. Pierce

May 14, 2019

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/warren-1557862094.jpg?crop=0.575xw:0.862xh;0.136xw,0.138x h&resize=480:*[/IMG] Mark MakelaGetty Images

The big noise out of the 2020 campaign on Tuesday was Senator Professor Warren's declining an invitation to participate in a Fox News Town Hall. The big news, as SPW explained on the electric Twitter machine, was why she did it.

Fox News is a hate-for-profit racket that gives a megaphone to racists and conspiracists—it’s designed to turn us against each other, risking life and death consequences, to provide cover for the corruption that’s rotting our government and hollowing out our middle class...Hate-for-profit works only if there’s profit, so Fox News balances a mix of bigotry, racism, and outright lies with enough legit journalism to make the claim to advertisers that it’s a reputable news outlet. It’s all about dragging in ad money—big ad money...

But Fox News is struggling as more and more advertisers pull out of their hate-filled space. A Democratic town hall gives the Fox News sales team a way to tell potential sponsors it's safe to buy ads on Fox—no harm to their brand or reputation (spoiler: It’s not).
This is exactly right. FNC is a money-making enterprise, first, last, and always. The elite media's normalizing FNC as a legitimate news source was the dry run for normalizing the current president*. Nothing in SPW's explanation insults the people who imbibe this stuff, night after night. (That's our job, dammit.)

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/fox-1557862237.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=480: *[/IMG]

A woman strides by a poster of Bill O’Reilly outside Fox News headquarters in April 2017. Spencer PlattGetty Images

And the shrewdest thing of all is that SPW ran this play after an exceptionally well-received tour of West Virginia and rural Ohio, in which she walked into rooms full of the people whose concerns FNC allegedly addresses and took every question and every selfie. From Politico:

The 63-year-old fire chief, Wilburn “Tommy” Preece, warned Warren and her team beforehand that the area was “Trump country” and to not necessarily expect a friendly reception. But he also told her that the town would welcome anyone, of any party, who wanted to address the opioid crisis. Preece was the first responder to a reported overdose two years ago only to discover that the victim was his younger brother Timmy, who died. Preece said after the event that he voted for Trump and that the president has revitalized the area economically. But he gave Warren props for showing up. “She done good,” he said. Others agreed.

LeeAnn Blankenship, a 38-year-old coach and supervisor at a home visitation company who grew up in Kermit and wore a sharp pink suit, said she may now support Warren in 2020 after voting for Trump in 2016. “She’s a good ol’ country girl like anyone else,” she said of Warren, who grew up in Oklahoma. “She’s earned where she is, it wasn’t given to her. I respect that.”
A quote like that is what Warren's people would wish for if they found Aladdin's lamp on a shelf at the Piggly Wiggly.

So she didn't take this stand until she'd already gone deep into the FNC's target demographic and met its members face to face. This was very shrewd. It immunized her and her campaign against charges that she is somehow a'skeered of facing a FNC audience. (Not that people aren't slinging that one around anyway.) And, once that was accomplished, she was free to throw as much fire as she wanted back at the propaganda network, and "hate-for-profit" is a label that can stick.

Moreover, her contention that she's declining to help the huge news and entertainment conglomerate behind the FNC make more money is consonant with the general theme of her campaign: taking power back from corporations that misbehave. There is no telling where her campaign will end up but, up to now, she hasn't made a single mistake.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath9 View Post
Elizabeth Warren is right about the modus operandi (MO) of the Fox News propaganda machine.

It is also the mode of operation for the GOP and Trump supporters.

Hate for profit

Cheat for profit

Lie for profit

Discriminate for profit

Kill for profit

Destroy for profit

They don't mind committing any kind of crime or evil, because they believe it will profit them in the end

Black Sabbath may have Sold Their Souls for Rock N Roll, but the right-wing has sold their souls for a few dollars more
No, she's not. She couldn't be any more incorrect. Fox News has opened invitation to all Democratic candidates.

I don't buy into the "profit machine" - that makes no sense.

It's making her look like the racist.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:44 AM
Poorly Educated

I find it ironic how much time you spend on here preaching hatred and intolerance toward conservatives, who you accuse of being hateful and intolerant.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Yoink

As we speak they are inventing wars against North Korea and / or Iran and / or Venezuela

And of course the Military Industrial Complex (MIC) will oblige

Thousands of innocent men, women and children will die so that our POS POTUS can look macho

War for profit is one of their favorite rackets

all hate and money
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:13 PM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyguy View Post
I find it ironic how much time you spend on here preaching hatred and intolerance toward conservatives, who you accuse of being hateful and intolerant.
He's not lying. The most recent examples are the GOP making excuses for dotard donald separating Hispanic children from their parents and placing them in camps and refusing to help Puerto Rico which resulted in the deaths of thousands of Hispanic-Americans.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:48 PM
Revolution > Resistance

right-wingers basically have 1 option for news on tv, which is Fox, if a candidate is confident in their policy agenda then they should be more than willing to talk about it to everyone in the country, regardless of what you think of Fox the fact is it has a large audience and they would benefit from Warren's policies. It's unfortunate because Warren is one of the few candidates who actually has a solid agenda.

Anyway, Bernie accepted a townhall and it went well. Fox is going to crap on any Democrat's agenda, at least accepting a townhall you get a chance to defend it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:48 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath9 View Post
As we speak they are inventing wars against North Korea and / or Iran and / or Venezuela

And of course the Military Industrial Complex (MIC) will oblige

Thousands of innocent men, women and children will die so that our POS POTUS can look macho

War for profit is one of their favorite rackets
Dude...I studied in Cuba...I was still in Cuba when Venezuela began going downhill....that was ABSOLUTELY orchestrated by the Democrat's gov't.

As someone from the third World ...I can tell you straight...this idea that the Republicans are the only ones who push the USA military might and squeeze/manipulate situations in smaller countries is rubbish...the Democrats have plenty blood on their hands in all of the countries mentioned in your post....especially the current situation with Venezuela.

Dude...just ...don't try that my brother... don't
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:10 PM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

A lot of politicians nowadays really lack the class. She couldn't just reject the offer and apologise; no, she had to strike back, from the place where nobody can reach her.

When I am invited somewhere and I don't want to go there, I just say, "No, thanks". I don't say, "Oh, by the way, the host really sucks, and my pure angelic blood will be tainted if I show up in that unholy place". I wouldn't make a viable politician...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:20 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIncymon View Post
Dude...I studied in Cuba...I was still in Cuba when Venezuela began going downhill....that was ABSOLUTELY orchestrated by the Democrat's gov't.

As someone from the third World ...I can tell you straight...this idea that the Republicans are the only ones who push the USA military might and squeeze/manipulate situations in smaller countries is rubbish...the Democrats have plenty blood on their hands in all of the countries mentioned in your post....especially the current situation with Venezuela.

Dude...just ...don't try that my brother... don't
I guess far right conspiracy theories transcend cultures.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Yoink

fake news = propaganda = POS POTUS + USA media

https://www.alternet.org/2019/06/ame...rrorism-study/

Quote:
Americans are more concerned with ‘fake news’ than racism or terrorism: study

thekirbster https://www.flickr.com/photos/kirbyurner/21798121234/

written by Marissa Higgins / Daily Kos June 9, 2019

AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to Flipboard

Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to More15Share to Email

What’s one of the biggest problems Americans believe we’re facing in today’s age? According to a new survey released from the Pew Research Center, a good fraction of Americans believe fake news…

What’s one of the biggest problems Americans believe we’re facing in today’s age? According to a new survey released from the Pew Research Center, a good fraction of Americans believe fake news is a bigger problem than issues like racism (40%), sexism (26%), and terrorism (34%). And while fake news and media literacy are significantissues, these findings are fascinating and complex, in a way that requires some deeper digging.

As a background, this survey included responses from 6,127 adults in the U.S. It was conducted between Feb. 19 and March 4, 2019.

Almost seven out of ten people surveyed believe that fake news greatly impacts American’s confidence in government institutions. A little more than half believe fake news has an impact on how much we believe one another. Of course, given that our president perpetuates seemingly endless amounts of fake news—from racist immigration hysteria, to his claims about his border wall actually being built, to even this morning, boasting about a trade deal with Mexico that doesn’t exist—this isn’t surprising.

To add some complexity, however, it’s important to look at how this folds out in party lines. While 30% of Democrats who responded report encountering fake news, that number jumps to 49% for Republicans. What makes this even worse? One out of five responding Democrats reports they believe that journalists create fake news, while most Republicans believe that’s the case.

Yikes!

Here’s a weird predicament. According to a different survey, this time from Gallup and the Knight Foundation, 2 out of 5 Republicans label accurate (but negative) stories “fake news.” Specifically, these respondents believe that stories which are factual, but negative toward leaders or groups, should be categorized as “fake news.”

Again: Yikes.

Back to the Pew survey. Respondents put the blame on politicians more than journalists, though they feel it’s up to the media to correct the fake news problem. What’s frustrating about this is that respondents don’t tend to blame the people who are creating these fake news stories. This might be why conspiracy theorists and some “alt” news sources gain so much benefit of the doubt (and, scarily, credibility) on the web.

For some perspective, let’s look at where respondents ranked other issues. People were less concerned about immigration (38%) and terrorism (34%), but more concerned with drug addiction (70%), affordable health care (67%), and wealth distribution (51%).

Arguably, fake news has always been a problem, in that misinformation has always existed. The internet allows it to grow a lot faster. It’s possible that because we encounter news on the internet so often—and thanks in part to Trump’s love of the term “fake news”—people are more exposed to the concept than they have been in the past, and thus rank it as a higher concern. If people haven’t always been in the loop about misinformation or media literacy, they might feel that this is a sudden, rising problem and therefore new.

A term like “fake news” is also decidedly vague and abstract, which is why someone like Trump can weaponize it so freely. He can label any news he doesn’t like as “fake news” out of one side of his mouth, while spewing lies out of the other side.

Interestingly, a fair amount of respondents say they’ve changed their media consumption habits in light of the fake news phenomenon. What does that look like? Fact-checking news more and using different sources. Without a doubt, increased media literacy and questioning information is a good thing.

What’s not a good thing? Having a president that lies regularly. And mainstream media sources that use a lot of gentler words to beat around the bush. Keep in mind that, as found by the Washington Post, in his roughly two years in the White House, Trump has made 10,111 false statements. This breaks down to about 23 lies per day.

all hate and money
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Yoink

https://www.alternet.org/2019/06/adv...t-off-the-air/

Quote:

Advertisers revolt after Sinclair-owned TV station pulls truth-telling meteorologist off the air

Joe Crain (image via Screengrab).

written by Daily Kos June 9, 2019

AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to Flipboard

Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to MoreShare to Email

According to the Springfield (IL) Journal-Register, at least four advertisers have pulled their funding from Sinclair Broadcast Group-owned ABC affiliate WICS-TV, which is licensed to Springfield, Illinois and serves much of…

According to the Springfield (IL) Journal-Register, at least four advertisers have pulled their funding from Sinclair Broadcast Group-owned ABC affiliate WICS-TV, which is licensed to Springfield, Illinois and serves much of central Illinois and, through its full-power rebroadcaster WICD-TV, east-central Illinois. This is in response to Sinclair pulling meteorologist Joe Crain off of WICS/WICD for pointing out how alarmist and confusing Sinclair’s “Code Red” weather alerts, which Sinclair mandates its stations use despite not being official National Weather Service (NWS) alerts of any kind, are to viewers:
At least four local businesses have pulled their advertising from WICS-TV in support of meteorologist Joe Crain, who has been absent from the Springfield station’s broadcasts following his on-air criticism of the “Code Red” weather alert system.

[…]

So far, businesses that have pulled their ads include Sutton’s, Henson Robinson Company, Central Illinois Ace Hardware and Marx Fireplaces & Lighting.

All of these are businesses that operate in or near the Springfield, Illinois area, and all of the businesses are home repair/renovation-related in some form or fashion. A spokesperson for one of the businesses that pulled its advertising from WICS issued a very strongly-worded statement, albeit without mentioning Sinclair by name, strongly criticizing Sinclair’s cavalier attitude as a corporation:
“Corporate executives make irresponsible decisions without taking into account what the local viewers are feeling. That arrogance needs to stop. Joe Crain treated our sponsorship like it was very important. He was out in the community representing WICS-TV with class and dignity. His final act was to engage his viewers and recognize their concerns and he gets cut. That is ridiculous,” Sutton’s marketing director Max Bumgardner told the SJ-R. “Hopefully, the corporate office will see a new type of Code Red when they realize their revenues are affected by colossally bad decisions.”
Also, I will mention that, in addition to WICS, Sinclair operates two other television stations in the Springfield-Champaign, Illinois local television market: WRSP-TV, the Fox affiliate licensed to Springfield, Illinois, and WBUI-TV, the CW affiliate licensed to Decatur, Illinois. However, unlike WICS, which Sinclair operates and owns, Sinclair operates, but does not own, WRSP and WBUI; WRSP and WBUI are actually owned by a company called GoCom Media of Illinois, which appears to be effectively a shell corporation to allow Sinclair to exploit loopholes in what few concentration of ownership limits the FCC puts on over-the-air television stations.

However, GoCom Media technically controls the retransmission consent contracts to allow cable and satellite providers to carry WRSP (or, on cable systems in the eastern part of the Springfield-Champaign market, WCCU-TV, which is WRSP’s full-power repeater) and WBUI, and both WRSP and WBUI are not currently available via DirecTV in the Springfield-Champaign, Illinois market due to a retransmission consent dispute, meaning, as I live in the far-eastern part of the market, I currently do not have access to a Fox or CW affiliate as Fox is airing a large percentage of the games of the FIFA Women’s World Cup soccer tournament (notably, this inconvenience did not happen while the men’s World Cup was being played last year).

To summarize this story, Sinclair is losing advertisers in at least one market, not due to Sinclair forcing its stations to air right-wing, pro-Trump political propaganda, but due to Sinclair’s alarmist weather hype machine, and Sinclair’s use of shell companies to exploit loopholes in FCC concentration of ownership regulations is finally coming back to haunt them.

all hate and money
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:41 PM
Revolution > Resistance

If anyone is going to come down on Fox for it's lack of legitimacy then they should also come down on MSNBC and CNN. Obviously Fox resorts to exploiting people's fears and also the portion of the population that is driven by hate they definitely exploit that as well, it's not a news source at all, just propaganda, but if people are being honest they would come to the same conclusion w/ the other cable news channels, in the end it's all just propaganda.

The main problem isn't that they keep the country uninformed therefore it's useless, they keep the country misinformed therefore it's dangerous. Nearly every topic, war, climate change, healthcare, the status of the economy, etc it will all be covered in a way that keep corporations rich at the expense of anything and anyone. Cable news should be boycotted.

edit: boycotted by the people, not the politicians.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:01 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
Hate is cheap. Satisfaction is expensive.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Yoink

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimeclub View Post
Cable news should be boycotted.

edit: boycotted by the people, not the politicians.

Cable TV itself should be boycotted because of the cost, media consolidation / conglomeration, terrible service, Reality TV, etc.

We cut the cord about a decade ago and we don't miss it ($130+ / month) one bit.

We use an HD antenna ($30) for over the air TV (70+ channels, $0 / month), Netflix in 4K ($15 / month) and a PC for streaming.

Network and local news is also corporate propaganda. I prefer to watch Free Speech TV with Amy Goodman, Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartmann, etc. Plus pirated copies of Bill Maher on YouTube

all hate and money

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page