"Boys Will be Boys" Sweatshirt pulled from Australian stores citing sexism - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
Closed Thread

post #21 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:23 PM
Game Designer

Language: English, Spanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creationist Cat View Post
Offended would be the wrong word. I am concerned about the harm caused by putting rape apologist slogans on children's clothes.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're seeing something that isn't there. Boys will be boys is an old saying and it's directed towards kids. Let boys be boys, go out and play and do boy things. Even if there was one that says Men will be Men again there's no hidden message there. Quit being offended by every little thing and you'll live a much happier life.

Cured of SA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:26 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaibhlan View Post
You're seeing something that isn't there. Boys will be boys is an old saying and it's directed towards kids. Let boys be boys, go out and play and do boy things. Even if there was one that says Men will be Men again there's no hidden message there. Quit being offended by every little thing and you'll live a much happier life.
Well your ignorance and lack of social awareness doesn't change anything, and fortunately the store acknowledged how problematic the shirt was and got rid of it without dragging this out. The world is going to continue changing for the better even if people like you are left behind.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #23 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:43 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
[

Offended would be the wrong word. I am concerned about the harm caused by putting rape apologist slogans on children's clothes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:

Well your ignorance and lack of social awareness doesn't change anything, and fortunately the store acknowledged how problematic the shirt was and got rid of it without dragging this out. The world is going to continue changing for the better even if people like you are left behind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rape apology? Over a shirt that says boys will be boys. Where is your mind at? When I think boys will be boys, I think digging in dirt, farting, doing destructive things like jumping off furniture. Sorry I don't think about rape. Maybe you need to separate yourself from thinking every boy is a rapist and this shirt must mean that.
post #24 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:46 PM
Game Designer

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm pretty sure they said that to stop people from complaining about something so minor. Like when the CEO of Twitter apologized for eating at Chick-Fil-A during pride month or Jimmy Fallon apologizing for humanizing Trump. Ignorance and lack of social awareness? Who cares about things like that. Nobody is getting offended but the people who claim it's offensive. The world is getting tired of all this Political Correctness and Social Justice nonsense, you're the one who'll be left behind while the rest of us grow up and move on.

Cured of SA
post #25 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:48 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlyone1 View Post
Rape apology? Over a shirt that says boys will be boys. Where is your mind at? When I think boys will be boys, I think digging in dirt, farting, doing destructive things like jumping off furniture. Sorry I don't think about rape. Maybe you need to separate yourself from thinking every boy is a rapist and this shirt must mean that.
Or maybe you need to learn what rape culture actually is, but I don't have the energy to be your teacher so you'll have to do your own research if you want to stop being ignorant and part of the problem.
post #26 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlyone1 View Post
Well said. I'd like to give benefit of the doubt that this person is a troll, but there are people who actually think like this...
post #27 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:50 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I'm more bothered about clothes like the ones mentioned in this video:

And that adult women are so easily manipulated by capitalistic forces and that capitalism seems to promote gender inequality by promoting sex based competition (and specific kinds.) It also increases personality differences in more developed countries, but I think this is more weighted when it comes to men overall (not 100% sure though.)

I don't care that the top was removed though and I find these discussions and news stories are usually used to distract which is why I've brought up other things in my post. Conservatives live for this **** tbh.
Your link does not open YouTube, it tries to download things to my computer.
post #28 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:50 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

Or maybe you need to learn what rape culture actually is, but I don't have the energy to be your teacher so you'll have to do your own research if you want to stop being ignorant and part of the problem.
Sorry that I don't associate rape with the phrase boys being boys. If that makes me ignorant then so be it.
post #29 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:59 PM
Almighty

What happened to my rape culture meme?

What about this one. It's even better:

Kneel before me worms. I am God.
post #30 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:18 PM
Dum di dum

Language: Danish, English, tiny bit of German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I'm more bothered about clothes like the ones mentioned in this video:

And that adult women are so easily manipulated by capitalistic forces and that capitalism seems to promote gender inequality by promoting sex based competition (and specific kinds.) It also increases personality differences in more developed countries, but I think this is more weighted when it comes to men overall (not 100% sure though.)

I don't care that the top was removed though and I find these discussions and news stories are usually used to distract which is why I've brought up other things in my post. Conservatives live for this **** tbh.
I can agree with it a lot of the way, but girls are generally allowed to be "cool", "sporty", into "action" and generally boyish far more than boys are allowed to be girly, so I think the video paints a too bleak picture of what girls are told to be in society.
Whatever kids are like is obviously fine and should be fine (as long as they're not harming others). It might be harder to find friends that share your interests if you're say a guy that's into playing with barbie, but you shouldn't be ridiculed for it.
However, just as wrong as those saying boys and girls have to act according to gender stereotypes are those that say being a boy is itself an oppressive act and that maleness and gender differences must be eliminated. People need to stop politicising gender in either direction.
post #31 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:31 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Your link does not open YouTube, it tries to download things to my computer.
OK that is really weird, when I posted this on my phone it was an embedded youtube video not a link wtf...

edit: I guess we can't embed videos that way anymore? What is happening to this forum it's falling to pieces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milco View Post
I can agree with it a lot of the way, but girls are generally allowed to be "cool", "sporty", into "action" and generally boyish far more than boys are allowed to be girly, so I think the video paints a too bleak picture of what girls are told to be in society.
Whatever kids are like is obviously fine and should be fine (as long as they're not harming others). It might be harder to find friends that share your interests if you're say a guy that's into playing with barbie, but you shouldn't be ridiculed for it.
However, just as wrong as those saying boys and girls have to act according to gender stereotypes are those that say being a boy is itself an oppressive act and that maleness and gender differences must be eliminated. People need to stop politicising gender in either direction.
I didn't post the video to endorse it in it's entirety, I think a lot of conclusions people come to are kind of simplistic as well (like it's not mentioned but the reason the girl's computer has less functions is because they think they will sell less so the answer is to ignore the girl one, but that can be difficult when people gravitate towards stuff that is targeted at them especially at a young age, hell you can't get adult women to stop buying expensive overpriced deodorant even though the male ones are better and cost less,) but I meant the clothing part of the video specifically.

Also I see the rigid expectations on both sides as a problem, and they are definitely more rigid for boys yes, but since we were talking about clothing that came to mind.

I definitely think we are doing something wrong though because like I say personality differences are more pronounced in developed countries, we have these polarised messages being forced at people from a young age, you have this small percentage of males that do well and then increasing numbers who just give up on life because they can't compete with the insane subgroup, and even though girls everywhere have lower self esteem than boys, it's significantly worse in developed countries.

In Western countries when people get rich, they get dimorphic (I don't think this applies globally in every area because look at East Asia physical and style trends + we're weird.) You see this in studies which show greater preferences for physical dimorphism in very urbanised Western areas (with high concentrations of super rich people,) you also see this with height:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...002/ajhb.22980

I think it has a really big impact on sexual competition actually, of course also economic competition (but that's moreso because we're increasingly automating away jobs,) where most people can't compete.
post #32 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:38 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Nothing was censored, though? It was pulled from stores after a backlash, that's not the same as censorship.

And "boys will be boys" is a saying that needs to die out anyway imo.
post #33 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:46 PM
SAS Member

This is a true "facepalm". I wish one of these companies beset by brainless SJWs would just say "No." They would get more love and press if they would stand up to these idiots rather than caving in and pulling the item. Even though SJWs like this are an extremely small sector of the world population, social media allows these fringe voices to seem like they're larger than they are. If someone complains about something, it's easy to magnify it via social media.
post #34 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:57 PM
Game Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavenders View Post
And "boys will be boys" is a saying that needs to die out anyway imo.

Cured of SA
post #35 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:00 PM
banana enthusiast

My Mood: Bored
Was about to reply, but then it hit me. Dammit, I keep falling for Gwyn's tricks....
post #36 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:00 PM
Game Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedOver View Post
This is a true "facepalm". I wish one of these companies beset by brainless SJWs would just say "No." They would get more love and press if they would stand up to these idiots rather than caving in and pulling the item. Even though SJWs like this are an extremely small sector of the world population, social media allows these fringe voices to seem like they're larger than they are. If someone complains about something, it's easy to magnify it via social media.
They are definitely a vocal minority. I don't know why companies keep giving into their demands. Pretty much every company who does eventually starts to lose buisness. If they don't like the sweater they should just not buy it.

Cured of SA
post #37 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:40 PM
SAS Member

Headline should read, "Company gets clowned by some internet trolls."
post #38 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:50 PM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Brooding
post #39 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:10 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Telling boys that it's wrong to act like a boy sounds like the real sexism to me.
post #40 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:44 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
"Boys will be boys" is a "rape apologist slogan"? Jesus christ give your head a shake. This statement is too ridiculous to warrant an intelligent response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape in space View Post
Was about to reply, but then it hit me. Dammit, I keep falling for Gwyn's tricks....
Touché
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page