American Politics - Better candidates? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Do you believe there are better candidates in American politics than the ones we have?
Yes 16 88.89%
No 2 11.11%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed

American Politics - Better candidates?

Hypothetical question (and poll) for Americans (regardless of where you are on the political spectrum).

Do you believe there are better candidates for POTUS than the ones who are most talked about? If so, who are they? Give them some exposure (however small) here on SAS.

And also, it's fine to talk about candidates for other American political offices.

EDIT - Also, the question was somewhat botched but you know what I mean (hopefully).

/WYSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Not A Low Calorie Food

I voted yes because I believe there has to be. I don't have anyone in mind. Just stating that I think the current crop of people we are being offered is slim pickings. I would probably vote for Sanders but his age and his health are worrying factors. So I would be stuck with Biden otherwise. And I just think there has to be somebody better than Joe Biden (whose age and health are also very concerning if he were to win).

/WYSD
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 10:48 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I voted yes because I believe there has to be. I don't have anyone in mind. Just stating that I think the current crop of people we are being offered is slim pickings. I would probably vote for Sanders but his age and his health are worrying factors. So I would be stuck with Biden otherwise. And I just think there has to be somebody better than Joe Biden (whose age and health are also very concerning if he were to win).
I'm on Tapatalk so I can't vote but I agree with you completely Dave. Bernie was our best hope but you see what they did to him.
Probably all a moot point anyway once Trump installs himself as king of America.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnynihilist View Post
I'm on Tapatalk so I can't vote but I agree with you completely Dave. Bernie was our best hope but you see what they did to him.
Probably all a moot point anyway once Trump installs himself as king of America.
Well, I mean, among the ones we have/had to choose from, Sanders was probably the closest to how I'm thinking but on the other hand, I think a whole lot of better (potential) candidates have been summarily locked out and we are all just kind of backed into uncomfortable corners and forced to bicker among ourselves when maybe we don't have to do that at all.

/WYSD
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 11:10 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnynihilist View Post
Don't start up with all "king" stuff. We outlawed that and it won't change.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
Don't start up with all "king" stuff. We outlawed that and it won't change.
OK. But do you believe there should be better candidates than the ones we have or not? You can argue in the other threads.

/WYSD
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 11:50 AM

Language: American English, Gibberish
So long as this establishment is not cracked, then sadly I would go with no. I thought that there was until recent (as you've read.)
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 12:08 PM
SAS Member

Jesse Ventura is the first that comes to mind. He has all the qualifications, he hates both of the traditional parties--which he calls "gangs" because their supporters adhere to a gang mentality, and he's big enough not to be physically/mentally threatened or bullied by others.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 12:25 PM
Dum di dum

Language: Dansk, English, und ein bisschen Deutsch
There obviously are better candidates, but for them to have a chance I think you'll need a better political climate, better political media, better voters and/or a better electoral system.
There's a lot I like about America, but your politics is too divisive and your news (at least seem to be) too sensationalist and too much an echo chamber.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 12:29 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Basically we always end up with candidates who all want the same thing which is to enrich themselves and their rich friends. Which has been the status quo for quite some time now.
Money always wins out in America.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 01:08 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
OK. But do you believe there should be better candidates than the ones we have or not? You can argue in the other threads.
There's always better candidates. We have who we have and then it changes. That's the good part about our country. If we could get Congress to pay attention....

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 01:09 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
Jesse Ventura is the first that comes to mind. He has all the qualifications, he hates both of the traditional parties--which he calls "gangs" because their supporters adhere to a gang mentality, and he's big enough not to be physically/mentally threatened or bullied by others.
That is the appeal of our President.

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 03:42 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
That is the appeal of our President.
Yes, it sure was. The establishment thought he was an X-factor when he ran. Sadly, I don't know (I certainly don't think so) if he really did anything better for the public after 4 years. The final body count of the coronavirus will be on his watch, for instance. It baffles me how more people do not see the rousing failure.

That said, the difference with Jesse Ventura and a guy like Trump is that, in comparison as candidates, Trump is/was far less qualified. Ventura was mayor and governor, was a Navy SEAL and did his duty in Vietnam, he's a biker and part of a motorcycle gang, and his upbringing is very much middle class.

They're both social pariahs though, in distinct ways.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 05:24 PM
SAS Member

I'm not American but there must be a better way than multi-billionaires being the only candidates.

Isn't it the dream of most American kids that one day they could become president, that's one of the biggest lies ever sold to the American public!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 10:22 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthe? View Post
I'm not American but there must be a better way than multi-billionaires being the only candidates.

Isn't it the dream of most American kids that one day they could become president, that's one of the biggest lies ever sold to the American public!
A lot aren't, but they are politicians, and in a way, that's worse.
We have been repeatedly screwed over and over by people who would go in and promise stuff and then personally gain from it and that wasn't the intent.

President Trump as money, yes, but he has lost a lot. He doesn't take the salary of the Presidency. He doesn't do foreign business, all stopped prior to his candidacy. He has been the only one who has been able to stand up to these people and thumb his nose at them because we want to the same thing to them!

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
True but he's a bit too much like Trump IMO. I don't much care for his personality. I feel like we need someone who everyone wants to like even if they don't agree with them. Ventura just isn't that guy.

/WYSD
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 09:21 AM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I'm not American and I'm not voting in the poll, but I think of the main candidates running Bernie was the best option but I kind of knew he'd never get to win the primary. I was very disillusioned by what the media did to Corbyn in my country so I was paying a lot of attention to the US because there are lots of parallels every election. It's a shame he couldn't even become the dem nomination (like Corbyn was the leader of the labour party for a short time.) This leads me to believe that although it's bad here the US election process is slightly worse in some ways because nobody who isn't neoconservative can even make it to the actual election at this stage.

Trump was particularly bad because if you listen to everything he said before running in 2016 it was completely different to his platform when running in 2016 where he tried to pretend to be a nationalist lol. Since then there's been all the crap in Iran which should surprise nobody who paid attention to him. You also have to be effusive in support of the state of Israel as well. Probably vice versa perhaps. It got pretty bad here in the UK, it was less bad in the US this election because Sanders is Jewish. You have a lot of US thinkpieces too 'Well Sanders isn't an antisemite like Corbyn' 'Corbyn is like Trump' oh **** off lol. They did the last one with Sanders too obviously.

I'm less aware of other candidates I know of Jill Stein though but she wasn't running in the 2020 election. It's almost impossible to get any recognition as a third party candidate I think 2016 was probably the year third party candidates got more attention than usual like Jill Stein, and Gary Johnson got some attention from the media. People don't have a lot of time and information isn't efficiently distributed about policy etc. Obviously the mainstream media are just looking to find someone who fits the status quo fairly well, and benefits the upper class.

The main advantage to running as a left wing third party candidate is less pressure to focus on dem party band-aid issues like strict gun control. But like in general the dem party is quite trash and creepy:

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/3609

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 11:13 PM
Dum di dum

Language: Dansk, English, und ein bisschen Deutsch
Quote:
President Trump as money, yes, but he has lost a lot. He doesn't take the salary of the Presidency. He doesn't do foreign business, all stopped prior to his candidacy. He has been the only one who has been able to stand up to these people and thumb his nose at them because we want to the same thing to them!
Trump and family are making lots of money from his presidency and there is an obvious conflict of interest using his hotels for official stays and having foreign leaders stay at his properties.
Are you seriously unaware of this or just ignore it?
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 12:00 PM
···---···

I hope AI gets good enough that we can replace all politicians with them. I know that's a long way off. But I feel that any human who manages to get popular enough to get elected has to be somewhat evil, selfish, backstabbing, etc. You basically have to lie and promise things you can't deliver on to get elected.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmorning View Post
I hope AI gets good enough that we can replace all politicians with them. I know that's a long way off. But I feel that any human who manages to get popular enough to get elected has to be somewhat evil, selfish, backstabbing, etc. You basically have to lie and promise things you can't deliver on to get elected.
Yeah but what is "good" AI?

/WYSD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page