Why are we so depressed? - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 12:12 PM
SAS Member

I think that there are a fair number of people out there who don't mind lying to themselves about the harshness of reality. Or they adopt a pretty intricate web of false beliefs (maybe without even fully realizing it) to protect themselves against the gloom of life.

Think about the things that you hear people say all the time:

"There's someone for everyone"
"Everyone is good at something"
"Everything works out in the end"
"Everyone has something to offer"
"Everything happens for a reason"
"God has a plan for everyone"
"Suicide is never an option"

etc.

As much as I'd like to believe in these statements, I have a deep-seated resistance to them because they just seem so contrary to what appears to me to be totally obvious. It's not the case that everyone has a great talent, or that everything works out eventually, or that everyone will sooner or later find their true love. We don't live in a Hollywood movie with some scripted happy ending.

I think that's why I'm not religious: it's not that I resist the idea of a greater being or creator, but rather that I just can't accept the kind of optimism that tends to be associated with religion. It feels artificial, at least to me.

That's why I'm as gloomy as I am: I find it difficult to lie to myself. I see life's harshness just as it is. The only problem is that I haven't yet figured out how to deal with it once I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 02:02 PM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
Me, because I know I must face my fears. The gulf of avoidance, temporarily pretending what I know I need and want to do isn't something I need and want to do is a weight. That weight manifests as depression. Its my unconscious telling me I am not in the place i need to be.

Hopefully i am now strong enough to get there, though. One small step at a time.

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 03:10 PM
SAS Member

How do we know depression wasn't as prevalent in ancient times? we would mostly only know about the lives of important people that left a mark in history, not a demographic likely to overlap with chronic depression I would think. But nowadays anyone with access to the Internet can share their story.

Beyond that, I think it's just inherited illness, life circumstances or a mix of both.

Then add to that how underdeveloped mental health science is compared to most other forms of medical science and the problem grows since easy cures are then often rare.

Then add that many forms of depression require significant effort from the person to improve, not just take these pills or get this surgery, which of course is a tall order for the depressed.

And finally add a pinch of not finding other refuges for our struggles than coming to communities like this one that by nature are a bit of an echo chamber and will make it seem like serious depression is everywhere.

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 05:12 PM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Well there are some factors unique to modern life that contribute. There's also an increase in inflammatory illnesses due to lifestyle including asthma, allergies, epilepsy, diabetes also includes depression because inflammation contributes to depression.

You can compare the rate in more recent history and how it's getting worse over time too:

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...illennial-who?

Quote:
Depression may be on the rise among younger millennials even as typical risk factors such as substance use and antisocial behavior fall, a new study in the International Journal of Epidemiology suggests.

Researchers looked at two groups of millennials in the United Kingdom, one born between 1991 and 1992 and a second born between 2000 and 2002.

The researchers said they found that overall symptoms of both depression and self-harm had increased by age 14 in the younger cohort compared to the older one.

Symptoms of depression increased from 9 percent to almost 15 percent between 2005 and 2015 — the years of each group’s respective check-in — while reported self-harm increased from almost 12 percent to more than 14 percent.

What’s more, the younger millennials reported lower overall risk factors such as smoking (3 percent compared to 9 percent) and drinking alcohol (43 percent versus 52 percent), as well as fewer anti-social behaviors (28 percent versus 40 percent).

While this newest research came from the United Kingdom, similar findings have been made in the United States.

For instance, a 2018 report from Blue Cross Blue Shield found that diagnoses of major depression had risen 47 percent for millennials in 2013.

The U.S. Census Bureau has used the year 2000 as a cutoff birth year while the Pew Research Center sets it back to 1996.

But whether the younger group in the U.K. study represents the limit of the millennial generation or the beginning of Generation Z, the results are clear: The kids are depressed and it’s not clear why.

The study did find younger millennials slept fewer than eight hours per night (11 percent versus 6 percent) and had higher body mass index (BMI) scores than their older counterparts (7 percent scored as obese compared to 4 percent in the older cohort).

But the researchers cautioned against drawing any single conclusion from this data.

Instead, these results, “suggest relationships between these factors might be more complex and dynamic in nature than currently understood,” the study authors wrote.
https://time.com/5609124/us-suicide-rate-increase/

Quote:
U.S. suicide rates are at their highest since World War II, according to federal data—and the opioid crisis, widespread social media use and high rates of stress may be among the myriad contributing factors.

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 09:07 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Lack of belonging and loss of hope, I think.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:06 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
I am aware that I'm not good enough for life.
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 09:51 AM
biohacker

Language: english, arabic
My Mood: Angelic
you are depressed because you have low baseline of good brain chimerical serotonin noradrenaline dopamine GABA etc..

currently on: anafranil 75mg/d, magnesium1g/d, olanzpine 20mg/d, caffeine 240mg/d, nicotine 6mg/d, lorazepam 2.5mg/20d, trihexyphenidy 10mg/month, theanine 1cup/month
check out my:
receptors function database>> https://rebrand.ly/SAS-RFD
hamilton depression self rating scale>> https://rebrand.ly/HDSRS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page