Why are we so depressed? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 03:23 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
The main thing that has diminished over time has been people's sense of identity and purpose - who am I, and what meaning does my life have? Historically this has been tribes - a sense of community where you all work together to survive. Over time, religion became the main source - even now, people often identify themselves and others based on their religion (and associated appearances). The idea of dedicating yourself to a community of people with shared beliefs and world views, all serving a higher power of some sort, gave a lot of people a sense of identity and purpose. Now that more people aren't orthodox in religious practice, or outright reject it (agnostic/atheist etc), that sense of identity and purpose is gone. One of the most common things that people who 'recover' from depression mention is that they found some meaning in life, and that helped them to understand who they are. So, I think that understanding who you are, and what purpose your life has (/you want it to have), whether that's from religion or elsewhere, can help to address depression (alongside medication, counselling etc). x

<3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 12:34 AM
bipolar

I know why I get depressed - it's because I'm defective. I'm incapable of functioning to my full potential, or often even functioning much at all. I lack resilience, strength, and often confidence.

I'm not under any illusions at all. Society and most other people seem to be doing just fine. It's me that's ****ing broken - not them. If I weren't I'd be out there with them doing what they're doing.

I imagine it's partly biological. I can be fine one minute and then it comes over me like a wave. It scares the living **** out of me. Much worse than the mania.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 02:12 PM
drifting in mist

'Depressed' is a new term for an age old problem. Modern first-world living conditions lift the burden of having to constantly worry about food and safety, so there is more energy left for self reflection and self sabotage. We have to create new purposes for ourselves because survival needs and religion are on the wane. I'm at a loss to understand people who just blithely float through life.

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 04:28 PM
Permanently Banned

Because we're all goth

post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 04:56 PM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryDude View Post
Because we're all goth

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 04:57 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post

hahaha
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 12:08 PM
SAS Member

To me it's a mixture of both. There are places that are "happier" than others. There are cultures that have less "stress" than others.

But some of us also have the genetic predesposition to depression and anxiety.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 11:44 PM
SAS Member

Several reasons. Social media is one people point to which has its merits as social media makes people see their own shortcomings, but even more it makes people broadcast their own shortcomings through the veil of anonymity which creates an air of negativity. It's good for people to be honest, but it comes with drawbacks too. On a similar note, we also have the world wide news 24/7 telling us about every bad thing that's happening in the world.

The state of society is another reason. The economy is falling apart. Inflation has skyrocketed and people are working their asses off just to be able to afford housing and college, which some people still think is the only option. A global society now means there is much more competition in the job market than before.

I think the most impactful difference is that we are aware of our own meaninglessness. Back in the 50s, the meaning of life for most people was told to them in the form of Christianity or the nuclear family. Deviation wasn't as common or acceptable. And as close minded as the mentality is, most people didn't have to search for their own meaning so most people didn't have some existential crisis. Now everyone has to find their own individual meaning and if someone can't find their purpose, it makes them depressed. Society doesn't have a conclusive value system anymore and a lot of people don't bother to develop one of their own. They have nothing to stand for, no purpose
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 12:44 AM

"It's not your fault." - Robin Williams Good Will Hunting

post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 10:37 AM
MyViewsMatter

My Mood: Inspired
Social Conditioning.

The media, entertainment, movies, music all conditioned society to believe that this is the perfect image or we must have this to be happy. Then we become victims because they seem so happy with those conditions and we don't have it. Then some people spent their entire lives trying to get that to be happy. Before they realized it, their whole lives passed by already and they are still waiting to be happy.

David R Hawkins talks about how in the progress of development, you go from "having" to "doing" to "being". At first, we think it's what we have (money, car, house, new iPhone, marriage, grandkids) that will make us happy/fulfilled. Then as we let go of that, we move to "doing". It's when you do, or hustle, work hard, grind mode, take action in order to be happy. But you could spend your whole life "doing" that and still not be happy because we always want more. After you do something and get that thing, you'll always want the next thing... and the next thing. People always think it's when I finally make X amount of money or become a millionaire then I'll be happy. But there have been reports that people who do finally get that money are now more paranoid of losing it or needing more. It's an endless cycle. As you let go of that, we move to "being" where you realized it's not what you have or what you do but you just have to "be" happy now. Right now. In the present moment. It's about each step along the way, not the end goal. Because the end goal is future-based and the "having" and "doing" is about focusing on the future. But "being" is in the now.

Remember, your views and what you have to say matter to others AND to yourself
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 11:54 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSxo View Post
The main thing that has diminished over time has been people's sense of identity and purpose - who am I, and what meaning does my life have? Historically this has been tribes - a sense of community where you all work together to survive. Over time, religion became the main source - even now, people often identify themselves and others based on their religion (and associated appearances). The idea of dedicating yourself to a community of people with shared beliefs and world views, all serving a higher power of some sort, gave a lot of people a sense of identity and purpose. Now that more people aren't orthodox in religious practice, or outright reject it (agnostic/atheist etc), that sense of identity and purpose is gone. One of the most common things that people who 'recover' from depression mention is that they found some meaning in life, and that helped them to understand who they are. So, I think that understanding who you are, and what purpose your life has (/you want it to have), whether that's from religion or elsewhere, can help to address depression (alongside medication, counselling etc). x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy extrovert View Post
Several reasons. Social media is one people point to which has its merits as social media makes people see their own shortcomings, but even more it makes people broadcast their own shortcomings through the veil of anonymity which creates an air of negativity. It's good for people to be honest, but it comes with drawbacks too. On a similar note, we also have the world wide news 24/7 telling us about every bad thing that's happening in the world.

The state of society is another reason. The economy is falling apart. Inflation has skyrocketed and people are working their asses off just to be able to afford housing and college, which some people still think is the only option. A global society now means there is much more competition in the job market than before.

I think the most impactful difference is that we are aware of our own meaninglessness. Back in the 50s, the meaning of life for most people was told to them in the form of Christianity or the nuclear family. Deviation wasn't as common or acceptable. And as close minded as the mentality is, most people didn't have to search for their own meaning so most people didn't have some existential crisis. Now everyone has to find their own individual meaning and if someone can't find their purpose, it makes them depressed. Society doesn't have a conclusive value system anymore and a lot of people don't bother to develop one of their own. They have nothing to stand for, no purpose
This is the real cause that no one wants to talk about. People used to have more community and social structure. People belonged to their tribe/group/society where there were common expectations and clear norms. "Here we do A." Now it's "Some individuals do A, some do B or C or D or E." Individualism has become the only norm. It's not surprising that in this current bizarre artificial world where we're all just individuals in a vacuum with no community, no sense of time or place and few commonalities that many people have developed depression.

People are social animals and we have a psychological need for purpose. Individualism is toxic as f*** and needs to go.
post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 11:40 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswhat View Post
This is the real cause that no one wants to talk about. People used to have more community and social structure. People belonged to their tribe/group/society where there were common expectations and clear norms. "Here we do A." Now it's "Some individuals do A, some do B or C or D or E." Individualism has become the only norm. It's not surprising that in this current bizarre artificial world where we're all just individuals in a vacuum with no community, no sense of time or place and few commonalities that many people have developed depression.

People are social animals and we have a psychological need for purpose. Individualism is toxic as f*** and needs to go.
I agree... personally, I'm depressed because I barely feel a connection with anyone other than my girlfriend and maybe my mother. With other people, it's like meh... I like some of them, but I don't feel close to any of them. I don't feel as if they particularly care about me either. Either they already have their close friends, or they don't care about genuine social relationships. I definitely feel like I don't have that much in common with the people I've met, like old classmates, coworkers and the like.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 12:49 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
It's this wretched society. If you're not depressed living this way, you probably are and just don't know it yet.

/WYSD
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 02:56 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
It's this wretched society. If you're not depressed living this way, you probably are and just don't know it yet.
Hahaha I like your way of thinking mate.

Kind of like "If you aren't depressed, you aren't thinking hard enough" as I've heard before.

The world is f***ed ... it seems like everyone is driven by the pursuit of money and other material possessions. F**k that.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 05:36 AM
bipolar

Bipolar disorder.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 08:44 PM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
I think its societal. Back in the Depression era, there was a lot of suffering but the cultural attitudes were a lot of "we're in this together" kind of thing or even a don't worry be happy mentality.

They were def not in the money but sang about. Today, the song would be "we're not in any money and life is a bowl of something very unpleasant, not tasty, this sucks in fact, everything sucks" ...but maybe tough times make tough people. I don't know.

I know for certain is that anxiety shares 50% comorbidity with depression, so if you have one, it'll feed the other.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 10:22 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
for me personally, it's because I went through a lot of bad experiences when i was younger. Everyone around me was supposed to prepare me for adult life, instead they just left me mentally scared. The world is cruel. There is no real help. There is no understanding, people only want results and if you don't have them, then somehow you did something wrong.
As for modern society I think depression has always been their, it's just that now it is more acceptable to talk about it. Most people suffer from some form of depression. But for others it seems to linger around and affect every aspect of their life.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 10:26 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Cool
never had gf

The world is quiet here.

"The world...what a glorious place! Seek your dreams, and they will lie stretched out before your eyes. If the endless wind guides your restless spirit, seize it! Raise your flag, and stand tall!"
--One Piece
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 11:49 AM
alien monk

total alienation

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 12:06 PM
SAS Member

Language: English.
When I was younger, I had a large group of friends, but as I got older, things got harder. I dealt with things just fine, but I eventually just felt odd or different some how, than others. Like I was an alien. It made me feel alone and sad. Throughout High School, I remember crying a lot. I'd always try to put myself out there, but eventually I got depressed because it seemed like the friends I had didn't care about me or I was naive and got manipulated by them. Got to the point where I felt like I couldn't trust anyone because of being betrayal from all my friends, who I thought was my friends...

It can be traumatic or a death, which was the second for me. When my brother killed himself, my Depression got worse and I sort of thought and had this mentally that nobody would probably would want me around or wanna talk to me. I got an idea stuck into my head and I'm trying to get it out.

"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it." ~Tori Amos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page