What happened with my anti-psychotic withdrawal after 7 months! horrible :( - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

What happened with my anti-psychotic withdrawal after 7 months! horrible :(

Hi everyone, it didn't let me post back to my old thread in here back in February but here's the link: https://www.socialanxietysupport.com...fects-2219961/

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
Thank you jtd1974, I'm down to 1.75mg now.
I see that on February 26th I was on 1.75 mg. I reduced in quarters as Noca recommended for about a month according to how I felt as my psychiatrist recommended. Eventually I got down to 0.25 but only took that one for one day rather than for about a month like the other doses. After I felt a high general anxiety and anxiety for no reason, not the really serious anxiety from worrying I tried it for, so I will say it was a withdrawal symptom and on September 26th, 7 months later, I felt I had to take from 0.25 to 1.75 again and then it quickly went away or else I hardly notice it. I was almost there and then I just made one mistake and this happened! I couldn't only take back to 0.5 but 1.75! All that work and I'm back to 1.75! I feel I could not take any higher but once I tried up to 2.5 mg. After I also felt that I couldn't go down in quarters but I have to do it in 0.125 reduction for about 1 month and I counted and it's 16 steps to get down to 0 mg from 1.75 and that's more than a year plus the 7 months that went down the drain. I feel so disappointed, discouraged, sad. I wish this was over with! I don't know why this happened! I've never heard about this happening to anyone but of course I'm not experienced! i think I need support or info or both and it would be helpful and greatly appreciated. I feel this is wasting my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca View Post
Taking Metformin with an anti-psychotic should prevent most if not all weight gain. I don't know how much it would do after you already gained the weight though. If a doctor says "x psych med doesn't have withdrawal", they are probably lying. I once had a psychiatrist lie to my face and tell me that Effexor didn't have any withdrawal syndrome, the psych med essentially most notorious for its hellish withdrawal syndrome. "Discontinuation syndrome" is simply a euphemism created by the big pharma, they really mean withdrawal. I should note that the average doctor doesn't care what the patient has to go through as long as it doesn't kill them in the near term, because then they might be liable. They don't care if you have to go through withdrawal because hey, it isn't like they have to share in your misery.

If you are going off the med, at 2mg which is two 1mg pills?, simply cut the pills(as long as they aren't long acting) and decrease by a 1/4 pill every 3 days and you should be fine. I had to cut my Zyprexa pill into quarters to wean off the last little bit. It was easier to drop from larger doses to smaller doses but really difficult eliminating the drug altogether without horrible withdrawal.
What do you mean as long as they're not 'long-acting'? I'm sorry it was really difficult eliminating the drug altogether especially the last little bit but I'm glad you did it! Yeah I think there's sth behind the scenes in Big Pharma that's hidden and then probably psychiatrists are fooled too. I once had to cut an anti-psychotic I tried for only a short time into more than the lowest dose to get off of it and not have any withdrawal symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby View Post
Yeah, well at least I think I'm not psychotic. For me I get put to sleep, and apparently I take it for something else too but I don't remember. I'm pretty bad at paying attention to why, not the most healthiest of attitudes when it comes to mental health. Come to think of it, I've been prescribed a couple different anti-psychotics now, hmmm. Anyway, I actually stop taking mine from time to time. Every now and then I get pissed off about them. Last was maybe a fortnight ago, for 1 week. Basically a week of 1 hour to 0 sleep each night, and more agitated and jittery. I felt fine having no sleep though. I felt better than when I do get sleep. I can't think of any other side effects that I get.
I don't have sleep problems but I drank chamomile tea before and then I felt sleepy! So if you're taking an anti-psychotic just to get to sleep, I'd recommend trying a good brand chamomile tea. I forgot which brand it was that I took so sorry! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 06:42 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
With long acting or slow release tablets, they usually have a special coating that slows absorbtion. So cutting the pill in half would break the coating and stop that slowing effect.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd1974 View Post
With long acting or slow release tablets, they usually have a special coating that slows absorbtion. So cutting the pill in half would break the coating and stop that slowing effect.
Ok thanks for your info! So why would they want to slow it down? is it bc of toxicity like something to do with biology? Thank you

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I feel better now about this bc I feel that God has a purpose for everything. We have to trust God. it says in the Bible/God's Word, 'Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe/trust in God. Believe/trust also in me (Lord Jesus)'. I've learned/watched a lot of Joel Osteen's sermons and also Dr. Charles Stanley's so I've learned a lot about how God works but acknowledgement with support, info would still definitely be appreciated.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:19 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
Ok thanks for your info! So why would they want to slow it down? is it bc of toxicity like something to do with biology? Thank you
The coating slows down the release of the drug so that it lasts longer. If you break a long acting tablet in pieces, it will release the drug all at once which will a) give you a higher dose of the drug which can cause side effects and b) it wont last as long as it was intended to. Drugs that end in CR, SR, XL, Contin etc are long acting drugs, though that isn't a complete list. Drugs that are enteric coated shouldn't be broken either.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca View Post
The coating slows down the release of the drug so that it lasts longer. If you break a long acting tablet in pieces, it will release the drug all at once which will a) give you a higher dose of the drug which can cause side effects and b) it wont last as long as it was intended to. Drugs that end in CR, SR, XL, Contin etc are long acting drugs, though that isn't a complete list. Drugs that are enteric coated shouldn't be broken either.
I see, thanks! Another concern, disappointment, discouragement I have with how my anti-psychotic withdrawal went is that I would always feel like lying down. I just wanted to express that, but having things to do everyday can help.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I think anti-psychotic drugs are dangerous the way it makes me feel. I even felt tired/lethargic/unmotivation to get up and write this but bc my head would hurt I got up and I also tried to take supplements that would make my head feel better and it goes away as when I was busy during the week. I also thought I don't have any friends to have motivation

Any more support would be greatly appreciated
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 06:36 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Why are you taking an anti-psychotic ?

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Why are you taking an anti-psychotic ?
I had really serious anxiety from worrying before. After I've been withdrawing from it as I was fine doing the things I couldn't do before but I took this anti-psychotic before as it was the only one that I felt had some effect taking it and I took it for a few months twice. The only difference was I was taking a Naturopathic supplement and I went to deal with the situation I was worried about and was also observant with another situation.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

God blessed me a lot but my life is not blessed. I'm afraid I will start gaining more weight again also. I took the medication at 10 PM and I felt like sleeping until 2:30 PM! I know it's the anti-psychotic as that is how it made me feel before!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:05 AM

@lily

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Fernando View Post
@lily

Thank you Mondo!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I feel that Big Pharma or whoever is behind this company or corporation either is lying or doesn't have all the info to psychiatrists regarding withdrawal of their drugs. They've made me really sad on one part. I almost got off of it in about a year and then now I'm back up. it has affected me so much especially when I have no friends right now who I'd like to be friends with and who I feel really likes me as a friend. it affects my self-esteem even more bc of my self-image of this medication.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page