What age did you first feel depressed? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
bricked

What age did you first feel depressed?

I was in elementary school probably when it first hit. I was alone and bullied quite a bit and did feel suicidal. People commented on my low self esteem, and that was around the time when I first saw a psychologist at the school (who wasn't much of a help unfortunately). So I'd say about 11 years of age. Then it lingered off and on throughout school years and still does until today.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:33 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
Well I'm not sure it was depression when I was younger since I enjoyed my childhood but for as long as I can remember there's always been a tinge of sadness there behind everything. Even my happiest times and memories there was a sadness beneath it and it never really goes away. It's gotten worse as I get older. The sadness and this off feeling never really goes away even when I feel happy.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:57 PM

Language: sarcasm
Age 11 or possibly younger. My parents had an awful divorce, not to mention they had a really unhealthy relationship in the first place.

My parents divorced when I was 7. I didn't really understand what was going on until a little later. I just don't remember being younger than 10 very well, so I can't claim much about it. I do remember in 4th grade (age 9-10) I was starting to struggle in school and skipping my daily homework. So possibly around then.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:54 PM
bipolar

I think about 21 or so. I can remember being over in Perth and standing looking down into the Swan River wondering what the hell I was going to do. In other ways my life was actually okay - I was over there with my gf but I could tell something was very wrong with me.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:17 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfan69 View Post
I was in elementary school probably when it first hit. I was alone and bullied quite a bit and did feel suicidal. People commented on my low self esteem, and that was around the time when I first saw a psychologist at the school (who wasn't much of a help unfortunately). So I'd say about 11 years of age. Then it lingered off and on throughout school years and still does until today.
I don't have depression but anxiety. I'm sorry to hear that you have depression and was bullied and felt suicidal! Wish you well
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:25 AM
SAS Member

probably second year of college

i just lived anxiously and ignorantly before that. i also had a couple friends. But by that second year of college i didnt really have anyone left and delved a lot more into my thoughts, and fell into that hole. was a rough 3 years that i still a constant pull that i feel would take me back down there if it could. sometimes i want it to, that 'give up' part of my mind.

a
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:46 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
its hard to say. i wasn't very self aware - i was always anxious and confused as long as i can remember. i don't really remember what it felt like though. i was suicidal at 13, and not happy since 6 or 7. probably depressed? no one really acknowledged that i could have valid meaningful feelings until i was an adult and i definitely had no idea what that was all about.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:13 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Age 6

All about some Noca
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:23 AM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
I have no idea but I was never very pleased with the world. I think the more I learned about how things are the more depressing it got.

/WYSD
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:25 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Unhappy

LOSS ADVANCEMENT...

BSc 3rd

2nd girlfriend lasted 4.5 years. she ran away; all employers too.
fired... 32 jobs. first time hurt (apprenticeship) they chose one girl from all of us. downward spiral. domino effect. one knock over / knocked out.... spreading like cancer to soul. 1 micron of 3rd finger dislike building a mountain/wall/barrier/barricade/defence against me

too many short perks / treats... promise of niceties

life's presented to children as too good
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:01 AM
SAS Member

Not sure but probably around 10yrs old when my dad left, things turned sour very quickly. A toxic home environment, dread of school along with my horrendous shyness/anxiety soon made life zero fun. I slept as much as possible, dropped out of school before I turned 15 and then stayed in my room fantasising about the life I could never see myself having then coming back to reality and wishing for death.

We've all got a little bit of royal blood in our veins, we're all in line for the succession, and if nineteen million, four hundred thousand, two hundred and eight people die, I'll be king tomorrow. It's not very likely but its a nice thought and helps keep me going.

P.COOK

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:05 AM
womfn

I think it must have been in high school when my life went to **** after changing schools. I had to go somewhere where I didn't know anyone and I was painfully shy. No one seemed to like me. I couldn't relate to anyone. It was the first time I was truly alone and hated it.

There were times in elementary school where I was alone but I just walked around and watched people. That wasn't really an option in high school. I was worried I'd get bullied so I kinda just stuck to one place.

But being alone in general at that age and time was a shock to me. I didn't know I was that horrible socially because I nearly always was with somebody I was familiar with and at least somewhat comfortable with. But when I suddenly didn't have that, it was really bad. I didn't "live" for years, I was only trying to survive.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:13 AM
SAS Member

At 13 I constantly thought about killing myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:58 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

I think I was 16 when I first experienced severe depression. My mother told me, "Stop moping around the house and go clean your room."

That helped me a lot.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:08 PM

I think around age 20 or 21. I was feeling really low then. I didn't know what to do with myself in life or what my life purpose was. {I still don't} I think it was a phase because it seem that as the years went by and after I started to build up my Faith in God I slowly started to get out of that low state of mind without being aware of it. My depressed phase seem to be over now because recently in the last 6 months I haven't had a depressed day. Even before the 6 months I had those days when I would feel really down. It seem that ever since my Family and I have moved to a whole new State in the US not only have my physical location had change drastically but also my mental and spiritual mindset. I also been thinking about the things I want in life since moving here. Creating ideas. Getting into the idea of Manifesting and Believing more in God and having Faith and Hope. Back then I wasn't doing this. Creating and manifesting. This caused my depression back then.
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
I don't have depression but anxiety. I'm sorry to hear that you have depression and was bullied and felt suicidal! Wish you well

Thanks lily , it comes and goes but the psychological wounds are hard to heal.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:11 PM
Cooking Chicken

8th grade. It sucked.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:24 PM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
I'm fairly surprised at some of the answers. I think "Life stinks" was probably the first coherent thought I was ever capable of. I guess I'm just kind of surprised to see people here who thought everything was fine for close to two decades.

/WYSD
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:38 PM
My guitar gently weeps

Never remember a period of not being depressed. My home was always sad, crazymaking, unstable and violent. My mom left really early on for a year. Both my parents are untreated mentally ill. I stayed with relatives that I've been told didn't treat me well.

There might have been a few months early on before little baby me realized no one was coming to help and life was hopeless and unsafe, but it set in pretty early. I look at pics from very young and I look very sad and disconnected already. The few clear memories I have from then are terror. Yea so I shut down/repressed/depressed my emotions really early on.

Miles to go before I sleep.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:00 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I'm fairly surprised at some of the answers. I think "Life stinks" was probably the first coherent thought I was ever capable of. I guess I'm just kind of surprised to see people here who thought everything was fine for close to two decades.
personally, i was lucky on the family-front of life and had a good childhood. I was just shy till highschool, then the shyness turned to anxiety in high school, and all of that didnt pile up unhealthily till college. I'm simplifying some stuff a bit, but i'm just generalizing things. I'm sure if you asked high school me at some point i'd be "my parents SUCK!"...but yea..i just sucked lol

a

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page