Trying to start a language learning thing, but my OCD prevents me from doing so. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Trying to start a language learning thing, but my OCD prevents me from doing so.

This has actually been going on for years, whether it be a language book or something on a site. In this case it's the latter. I'm trying to start something on a language site, but if I click the button and get a "dirty thought" while I'm doing so the entire thing is contaminated and now I must go back and press the button without having a "dirty thought." I guess I should just do it in spite of having a "dirty thought," right? If you have OCD you probably know what I'm talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 07:09 AM
SAS Member

I know what you're going through. The only advice I can really give you is to label the thought just what it is (an intrusive, OCD thought that's just a picture and/or words), accept that as someone who is dealing with OCD that it is going to happen to you occasionally, but continue on anyways.

You have to decide what you value more. Do you value learning a new language more, or do you value strengthening intrusive thoughts more?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page