The Relationship Between OCD and Feeling Safe - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

My Mood: Relaxed

The Relationship Between OCD and Feeling Safe

Whenever I look up resources about OCD, one thing that doesn't get mentioned enough is the feeling of safety.

Based on my personal experience and based on what some counselors have told me, I think the feeling of safeness might be one of the core aspects of OCD.

My OCD has kept fluctuating from 0 to 100 throughout various stages. Every time it was at 0, I've noticed one common theme - I always felt the safest in that period of time. And in all those instances, I have been spending most of the day in my house. No job or school. So always residing inside the comfort zone (the home) and never leaving. I know that's not the best way of living life, but I'm just saying it for the record in regard to OCD.

And whenever my OCD was at max, it was because I was undergoing some major shift (like moving to a new unfamiliar place). Or getting accustomed to some kind of change. OCD is like a speedometer for me that shows me how far away from '' home '' I am getting. And by home I just mean the comfort zone and familiar territory.

And this is how everyone is when they are a child. Transitioning from the warm, safe comfort of your home to your first day at school is one of the most uncomfortable experiences of life. Most kids cry when this happens. So could OCD just be a manifestation of this when you're an adult? A safety behaviour to deal with the discomfort of leaving your comfort zone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 03:54 AM
SAS Member

is ocd not caused by anxiety, i used to have it and i was performing rituals when ever i ahd anxiety about going out, such as light switches or checking for stuff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page