taking walks during the day - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
ThirdEyeGrind

Angry

taking walks during the day

This is something I wanna do but am pretty terrified to do. Seeing as I have all day doing nothing (since my recent resignation of my job), I atleast should take a walk or something. I'm just terrified for some reason. Its rediculous. If it was at night time I could do it but its too cold at night here. This is pretty sad, but any tips to help my blown out of proportion irrational fear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 AM

Oh man I love taking walks but I always fret because there'll be all these cars with people inside breezing by. I focus on walking, the sun, the feel of my body in movement and wear sunglasses so I don't have to ever worry about eye contact
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 PM
SAS Member

Would listening to music help? No one will usual talk to you if you have headphones on. Maybe it would also help to have a destination and a reason for going- like to buy milk or post a letter or something.

And by the way, its not crazy to be scared, I went through a phase like that. I was living in the city on a street that had a lot of fancy fashion/PR/marketing offices on it and the uppity people milling around used to freak me out so much I avoided leaving the apartment.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenie View Post
Would listening to music help? No one will usual talk to you if you have headphones on. Maybe it would also help to have a destination and a reason for going- like to buy milk or post a letter or something.

And by the way, its not crazy to be scared, I went through a phase like that. I was living in the city on a street that had a lot of fancy fashion/PR/marketing offices on it and the uppity people milling around used to freak me out so much I avoided leaving the apartment.
I was going to recommend the headphones trick and you beat me too it. I also take my ipod with me when I have to take the bus in case the other people on it seem unfriendly. (why are people who ride buses so weird?)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 04:50 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALoner View Post
(why are people who ride buses so weird?)
Yeah what is it with buses?!? I hate catching them around here because everyone appears to be either on parole or suffering from an intellectual disability.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:05 AM
SAS Member

Hmm maybe start off small by walking say just to the end of the street for teh first few days (better than not going out at all). THen gradually extend the length of the walks.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:01 AM
SAS Member

I was gonna recommend headphones and sunglasses too, and a dog! I walk every day, either with my dog, or because I have no choice since I don't drive and hate taking the bus so much (why are people who ride buses so wierd??). Every single day, though I've been doing this for years, I have anxiety before I head out, but I know how much better I'm going to feel afterward so I force myself to go. My poor dog follows me around waiting for me to actually get out the door, it's like torture for the poor guy 'cause he can tell I'm getting ready to go but it takes me so long to actually get gone. Anyhow if you can muster the strength to shove yourself out the door, after you've been walking for a while, your breathing will slow and your body will relax a bit which actually helps to ease anxiety -- it's nothing drastic and it's not like the anxiety disappears completely for me, but I feel better and a little braver part way through the walk and for awhile after I get home so it does help a bit. It's definitely worth it to me.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:32 PM
SAS Member

It's impossible not to walk around when on campus. But I find it a lot easier to do so when it's winter time and everyone in snuggled up in coats and have on scarves or their heads down to avoid the wind. In the summer/spring, I like to listen to my iPod while walking around.

random thought: Oddly enough, when I was walking around the ridiculously crowded NYC for a couple of days, I felt really comfortable. Maybe it was the lights, crappy air quality, and the fact that distracted New Yorkers know how to walk at fast and assured pace (a common quality of SASers)

The main key is distraction. Repeat mantra. Listen to music. Carry something in your hand(s). Know where you want to go.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Born Of Blotmona­

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
I want to get into daily walking as well just to get out as I'm not working or schooling but I'm sometimes nervous as well, step by step I suppose(literally)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 11:57 AM

Yeah, I'm usually all gung-ho when I step outside but get agitated as I move along. Too many cars, too many people, too many kids, I just want to walk somewhere peaceful where I can be alone for awhile. I usually end up high-tailing it home a.s.a.p. :P
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 02:06 PM
SAS Member

It's really nice walking through cities alone at night. Probably also dangerous :/

The music thing can work though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page