"Switching Perspectives" on one's mental issues - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

"Switching Perspectives" on one's mental issues

After having a wisdom tooth extracted yesterday I got another perspective on life in such a way where... I kinda half-forgot about my mental issues.

Like, this morning I went "ooh right... I take SSRIs hahaha i forgot"... just because of being so caught up in having to change my focus to taking extra care of my oral hygiene now. Very interesting and quite liberating. I still had several mini attacks of anxiety this morning but they had a "fresh angle" which is always nice and interesting.

Has anyone had similar experiences where something sidetracks you from your daily life to the point where your anxiety/depression "is viewed thru another scope" or "takes the back seat" in some way?

Ahhh. life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:52 AM
SAS Member

Yeah, that sounds familiar. Usually it happens to me when something significant is happening with a loved one. Health wise. I can get focussed on that and kinda forget my own anxiety, or at least have it be less present.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:44 AM
Tired

Language: English
I was more bothered by my neck problem than my mental health problems when that was bad.

Currently given I am struggling to find any goals whatsoever that have value to me, I am not overly fussed about my mental health problems either. They aren't such a barrier to achieving my current ambitions of not moving from the bed.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:42 AM
#SaveTheOA

Congrats on giving birth! When I gave birth the doctor shouted, "it's a boy!" I mean, when he pulled out my tooth. That was a funny doctor, or he chose to be silly to relieve my anxiety. But yeah! During these times of near death my whole perspective switches and I feel and behave normal. I think it's because we're shifting our thoughts and life energy to preserving our life from imminent death. So I shouldn't worry now about my future because when it comes it will be a death or life situation in which case my imminent death will transform my perspective and I will be free to take action because I will behave and feel normal.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:47 AM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
Has anyone ever wondered why there isn't any such thing as a mentally ill sparrow?

/WYSD
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 05:02 AM
SAS Member

Yup. Less complex brain.
Would love one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Has anyone ever wondered why there isn't any such thing as a mentally ill sparrow?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 05:37 AM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnemarieB View Post
Yup. Less complex brain.
Would love one.
Or perhaps it's just a more natural brain. Even when humans are "normal" they're not. Compared to everything else that lives we're pretty freaky in just about every way.

/WYSD
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:18 AM
You tell me

Yeah usually when something even more pressing is occurring. Like how my SA abates when I'm panicking over other stuff that needs to get done. This is why I've wondered if social anxiety is to some extent, a modern problem. Like if I were more desperate and in a life or death situation, like occupied by acquiring basic things like food and shelter, and this was feasible, or I was in a war, would I even have socially anxiety? It's almost like if you're an anxious person the baseline anxiety is always there and gets channelled into whatever pressing concern you have in the moment. But then again being socially accepted is a life or death situation too, so I'm sure the SA would be there again when getting along in a group became the most pertinent thing in the moment.

Also existential nihilism can buy you moments of 'why-the-****-do-I-even-care?'. But again everything is too brief before brain relapses into its habitual neuroses.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:46 AM
SAS Member

Hmm. Well, I am experiencing this currently. Apparently, I got a kick to the rear regarding future job prospects, finding my own place, school stuffs, etc. Well, the social anxiety in the bubble of thinking of these things has taken a back seat. Essentially; I focused on the end-point (getting a better job, getting my own place), and glossing over the granular details of social interactions that may take place between the aspiration of doing so, and actually achieving the outcome.

Unfortunately though, it kind of generalized my worries. But with anything, I suppose I'll somehow manage through this. It's like "Aw man.... Gah... Gotta bite the bullet, and just do it" as opposed to "Oh, no! Job interview, new people, it's all overwhelming!!" Either that, or it's being homeless or on unemployment....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cheeky
i kinda forget about my anxiety whenever im just outside, maybe just looking around me and noticing flowers blooming or how beautiful the sky is looking. i believe that we get so caught up with all the negative things in our lives that we never notice the small but important details that fly right over our heads! most of the time, the things i worry about don't even concern me or in any way harm me. not too long ago, I noticed how beautiful life actually is, and I don't wanna sound cheesy or whatever, but i think i can finally say im happy with myself and where im at right now. sure, i have my obstacles almost everyday, but it's not the end of the world.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:55 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rains View Post

Also existential nihilism can buy you moments of 'why-the-****-do-I-even-care?'. But again everything is too brief before brain relapses into its habitual neuroses.
Ahhh existential nihilism. I've been leaning towards some nihilistic ideologies lately and I've found that it is both a blessing and a curse. I believe my SA has gotten better, but I am also more depressed because nihilism is depressing. When I'm in one of my existential nihilist moods I think to myself, "Wait a minute... Why the **** would I care what people think of me?" and proceed not to care too much, or at least not as much. It is definitely refreshing in a way, but strange to have such a different perspective from the one that I've always had before.

"How could you tell if your instincts were just hope in disguise, and if your hope was really desperation parading as possibility?" ~Laini Taylor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page