Suddenly focussed on breathing - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Suddenly focussed on breathing

Since a week I have been so focussed on my breathing, that it feels like i’m slowly going crazy.
I cant stop thinking about it, even when im doing other things to try to change focus, its always in the back of my mind.

Already started again with seroquel 25mg twice a day, but it has yet to kick in.

Does anyone recognize this, or has anyone ever dealt with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:11 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
That used to be one of my main problems and I still get it sometimes. I would notice any changes in my breathing if they were too shallow or I couldnt get a full breath. The onky thing that helped me was knowing that although I cant stop thinking about how I'm breathing there is really nothing bad that can result from being so focused on it. You are not going crazy at all you just need to remind yourself of that. Also focusing on your breathe is quite a common symptom of anxiety so you are not alone.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:14 AM
The Loser

Language: English, Dutch
My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnemarieB View Post
Since a week I have been so focussed on my breathing, that it feels like iím slowly going crazy.
I cant stop thinking about it, even when im doing other things to try to change focus, its always in the back of my mind.

Already started again with seroquel 25mg twice a day, but it has yet to kick in.

I have it sometimes as well, but I just acknowledge the part that I'm being focussed on it, and then continue with what I am currently doing. Like watching TV or playing a video game. I don't have any experience with medication so, can't say anything about that.

"Like a book isolated on a shelf with no one to read it yet judge it for its amount of pages. I feel such way."

"Just because you're breathing, doesn't mean you're alive."

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:15 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, Spanish (kind of)
My Mood: Dead
it's not so much of a problem for me, but once in a while when i have nothing to do i suddenly focus on my breathing, if anything it's annoying and it also makes me feel a bit nervous. it eventually stops when i play a game or start doing something that requires a lot of focus to do, like a competitive activity.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Wanted for questioning

My Mood: Innocent
I think it's one of those things that everyone has at some point. I doubt anyone will be able to read this thread and not suddenly feel really focused on their breathing.

Like anything though, no matter how common it might be, if it's a problem for you, you should see a professional about it.

What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for your reply!
It’s helpful to know i’m not the only one with this issue.
I admire how you deal with it. Im not quite there yet, by far, but i’ll keep trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stacks View Post
That used to be one of my main problems and I still get it sometimes. I would notice any changes in my breathing if they were too shallow or I couldnt get a full breath. The onky thing that helped me was knowing that although I cant stop thinking about how I'm breathing there is really nothing bad that can result from being so focused on it. You are not going crazy at all you just need to remind yourself of that. Also focusing on your breathe is quite a common symptom of anxiety so you are not alone.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for your reply.
I remember in the past having moments of this breathing focus but then it always passed somehow. Now it just doesn’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthDominator View Post
Quote:
Since a week I have been so focussed on my breathing, that it feels like i’m slowly going crazy.

I have it sometimes as well, but I just acknowledge the part that I'm being focussed on it, and then continue with what I am currently doing. Like watching TV or playing a video game. I don't have any experience with medication so, can't say anything about that.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

That used to work for me too, in the past, when I would sometimes have moments like these. But somehow i cant seem to snap out of it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledapple View Post
it's not so much of a problem for me, but once in a while when i have nothing to do i suddenly focus on my breathing, if anything it's annoying and it also makes me feel a bit nervous. it eventually stops when i play a game or start doing something that requires a lot of focus to do, like a competitive activity.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, Spanish (kind of)
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
That used to work for me too, in the past, when I would sometimes have moments like these. But somehow i cant seem to snap out of it now.
yeah, there are times when that is the case for me too, but usually it goes away when you have most of your attention focused elsewhere, but everyone is different. i would help you somehow if i could lol
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Yes, I am. I have already had a consult by phone with my psychiatrist.
She advised me to start with the seroquel 25mg again, which I had recently stopped taking (not cold turkey but very slowly).

She also pointed out an app for mindfulness to try. Which I have been doing now, about 3 times a day.

And this Friday I have an appointment with her and we’ll continue on this topic again.

I just don’t understand that something that i did without thinking for 35 years, now suddenly doesn’t seem to be an automatic thing anymore.
I’m so afraid i’ll never get rid of this ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudChaser View Post
I think it's one of those things that everyone has at some point. I doubt anyone will be able to read this thread and not suddenly feel really focused on their breathing.

Like anything though, no matter how common it might be, if it's a problem for you, you should see a professional about it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page