Strong silent types = Bore? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 02:17 AM

Strong silent types = Bore?

My SA causes me to try to pull of that strong silent mysterioso vibe, which I'm totally not trying to do to maintain a coolness, but I think it comes across that way.

It's usually okay in semi-serious moments. But as soon as the vibe of the room picks up to a more cheery social kind of vibe, I shut off. Then I feel like I'm ruining the group vibe, like I'm creating tension.

I think I turn into a Robert DeNiro except w/o the talent, grit, and badass reputation. So it doesn't exactly work in my favor.. What can I do to just loosen the hell up???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:48 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy

Re: Strong silent types = Bore?

I would say to let your guard down and to try not to be self concious.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 02:47 PM
SAS Member

I generally come across the opposite, I think. I mean, in order to cover up my self consciousness, I'm overly giggly and giddy. Sometimes, I guess it's OK, but in serious situations, not OK at all. It would be great if somehow we could meld our 'public' personas creating the perfect amount of serious and giddy...heh.

Sometimes I wish I were someone else, but then why not just try to be the person I want to be?

Crazy girl

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 03:25 PM

I have a lot of problems dealing with serious social interactions. I have such a strong desire to laugh. Whenever I'm in a room and everyone is silent, I have to literally force myself not to laugh. This last happened at a funeral! How embarrassing

I do better in casual social interactions, especially when the people are liberal, because I can be pretty crazy.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusfruit
I have a lot of problems dealing with serious social interactions. I have such a strong desire to laugh. Whenever I'm in a room and everyone is silent, I have to literally force myself not to laugh. This last happened at a funeral! How embarrassing

I do better in casual social interactions, especially when the people are liberal, because I can be pretty crazy.
Well, have you ever thought, maybe you're just a FUN PERSON?

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sienna08
Quote:
Originally Posted by venusfruit

Well, have you ever thought, maybe you're just a FUN PERSON?
lol That's a positive way of looking at it I definitely like to have fun.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page