Stop hurting your beautiful skin! *self harm coping skills* - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Stop hurting your beautiful skin! *self harm coping skills*

?Lame intro?

Man it sucks to want to hurt your self
But their is always a way, and it will ALWAYS get better. The tips are all from my personal use and experience. I have done every one of them and at some point in some situation they worked. I have not self harmed in over 4 years! (: I used to every single day, and trust me I still think about it when I get into my darkest moments,But I always come out on top. You can too!

?Tips?

1.) RUBBER BAND IT
While wearing your fave rubberband, flick it on your skin. Feel that burn? Flick it a few more times. Red marks swell, and the stings get stronger. But no cuts (:

2.) IS IT COLD? ( My absolute favorite)
Grab 2 ice cubes. Put one in each hand and make a fist. Hold your hands above your head allll the way. Super cold huh? Starts to reaaaaly hurt after a little time. Taking that pain from your mind and out into your body. Do you also feel the ice dripping down your arms? Imagine that the blood. But instead it's just water. And your just holding ice. Your simbolizing the 2 things most cutters look for in cutts, ( at personal experience ) the pain( from the ice) and the dripping of *blood* ( from the cold water dripping)

Keep your bodys beautiful lady's and gents!

These two are the only ones iv herd that didn't sound stupid and that actually worked. Let me know what you think or if you try any of if they help! ((:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 04:27 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
We have a thread already but thanks for sharing. None of those helped, I just had to stop on my own cold turkey. I'm about 5 months clean .

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Pensive
Thank you....I forget the coping mechanism sometimes. I haven't done it in a while but the ones you suggested really help me sometimes...I've definitely done those, recently. I also take freezing cold showers....it may sound strange but it somehow helps calm me down (when I'm out, and done with it). I also put in earbuds and listen to metal sometimes, really loud. Probably the thing I do most is just run, or work out. Glad you posted this because I have a lot of scars. Almost all of them can be covered up by a t-shirt, but...it's really difficult trying to explain them to a doctor or a gf. Hopefully someone will see this and really think twice about starting. Once I started it was reeeeally hard to stop and I hear it's that way for everyone that does it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 05:17 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
Yeah the scars are annoying. I always wear long sleeves anyway, but at doctors when I get blood drawn or something I can't hide it. I don't do that anymore and I regret I ever did.

I don't get the self-harming urges anymore. Now it's more the feeling I want to painlessly "break" something about my body eg, sometimes i cut off my eyelashes or shave off my eyebrows, to "break" something
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheSame View Post
Thank you....I forget the coping mechanism sometimes. I haven't done it in a while but the ones you suggested really help me sometimes...I've definitely done those, recently. I also take freezing cold showers....it may sound strange but it somehow helps calm me down (when I'm out, and done with it). I also put in earbuds and listen to metal sometimes, really loud. Probably the thing I do most is just run, or work out. Glad you posted this because I have a lot of scars. Almost all of them can be covered up by a t-shirt, but...it's really difficult trying to explain them to a doctor or a gf. Hopefully someone will see this and really think twice about starting. Once I started it was reeeeally hard to stop and I hear it's that way for everyone that does it.
I take freezing cold showers too. And it helps sometimes. Or I take really hot ones. But burning my skin isn't fun. I really wanna cut but idk. I'm trying to stop. I'm so proud of you for resisting.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
We have a thread already but thanks for sharing. None of those helped, I just had to stop on my own cold turkey. I'm about 5 months clean .
I'm so proud of you for being clean 5 months now. That takes a lot of strength. I wish I has your strength. I admire you.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Pensive
@3677 , this thread will probably be deleted but I wanted to tell you, I hope you really think about it, think long and hard about the consequences of SH. You've no doubt heard all this before, but I used to self harm, a lot, and I have scars now that I can't get rid of. I'm probably going to get tattoos over some of them, but unless I get tattoos all over my chest, stomach, shoulders then some are still going to be there. It's like an addiction. I'm not trying to preach...I know you know this already. Try some of the things in this link. http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...arning-183993/

What I've found (through a lot of therapy and a lot of just trying to stop, on my own) is that the feeling usually goes away, eventually. Sometimes it does last, sometimes quite a while which is why I use the coping mechanisms I mentioned. Scars don't go away though, a lot of times they don't fade. Make no mistake about it, burning or scalding yourself in the shower with hot water...that's self harming and you need to stop. Idk if you're in therapy or not but you might seriously consider talking to someone about it...I did, and talking it through step by step helped me to stop. It hasn't been all that long since I've done it last (only a few months) but I did stop, and ffs, if I can do it I know you can do it. You should be proud of yourself for trying, and for talking about it here but I would really try to talk to a therapist. Don't give up fighting against it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 12:40 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3677 View Post
I'm so proud of you for being clean 5 months now. That takes a lot of strength. I wish I has your strength. I admire you.
Strength? If you want to quit you can. In the past I didn't want to quit so I didn't. When I made up my mind to quit that was it. There were some relapses here and there but I knew I wasn't going back to the "routine".

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Monster

Yeah, the reason I self harm is to self harm. I guess I don't get why other people do it if they actually care about themselves or how they look. If the scars bother you, what was the point in the first place?

I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

You shut your mouth. How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page