Social Anxiety and ADHD - Social Anxiety Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 17

Social Anxiety and ADHD


I have SAD and ADHD and I'm not sure how to cope with both at the same time. I currently take medication for my ADHD, and it really helps me concentrate, but dramatically increases the physical symptoms of my anxiety (ex: faster heart rate, breathing, more shaking and stuttering, redder face). I've tried different types of medication but have had the same issue with all of them.

I also notice that it's really hard for me to talk at a normal pace with people. When I'm uncomfortable I stay very quiet because I feel too anxious to speak, but when I am comfortable I can talk someones head off because I have so many things going through my head and I want to say something before I forget it. I wish I could just talk back and forth with someone normally, and feel comfortable about it.

Does anyone else have SAD and ADHD and deals with these issues and knows ways to cope with them?
skyler33 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 02:53 PM
SAS Member
 
darth maul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 185
My Mood: Relaxed
Could you give more information about your ADHD like who diagnosed you when and what symptoms you had.Anxiety and depression can mimic the symptoms of ADHD.

There is no cure for social anxiety only remission and relapse.
It seems the only way for some sa members to feel good about themselves is to insult other sa members.It gives them a sense of superiority and satisfaction that could never have in their real lives.
darth maul is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 02:57 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler33 View Post
I have SAD and ADHD and I'm not sure how to cope with both at the same time. I currently take medication for my ADHD, and it really helps me concentrate, but dramatically increases the physical symptoms of my anxiety (ex: faster heart rate, breathing, more shaking and stuttering, redder face). I've tried different types of medication but have had the same issue with all of them.



I also notice that it's really hard for me to talk at a normal pace with people. When I'm uncomfortable I stay very quiet because I feel too anxious to speak, but when I am comfortable I can talk someones head off because I have so many things going through my head and I want to say something before I forget it. I wish I could just talk back and forth with someone normally, and feel comfortable about it.



Does anyone else have SAD and ADHD and deals with these issues and knows ways to cope with them?


Yes sure about SAD & I think I have ADHD too


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dorayaki is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Where Have I Gone Wrong?
 
MonkeyMan213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Not where I want to be.
Gender: Male
Age: 22
Posts: 70
My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler33 View Post
I have SAD and ADHD and I'm not sure how to cope with both at the same time. I currently take medication for my ADHD, and it really helps me concentrate, but dramatically increases the physical symptoms of my anxiety (ex: faster heart rate, breathing, more shaking and stuttering, redder face). I've tried different types of medication but have had the same issue with all of them.

I also notice that it's really hard for me to talk at a normal pace with people. When I'm uncomfortable I stay very quiet because I feel too anxious to speak, but when I am comfortable I can talk someones head off because I have so many things going through my head and I want to say something before I forget it. I wish I could just talk back and forth with someone normally, and feel comfortable about it.

Does anyone else have SAD and ADHD and deals with these issues and knows ways to cope with them?
I know exactly what you're talking about, as I have Social Anxiety, ADHD and I also take medication to help me focus. I have similar effects with the medication I take, which makes my heart faster than without it, but I still need it. I feel the same way you do, as I am quiet around people I don't know or don't talk to much. With people I know well, like my parents or a friend, I can talk so much without being anxious. But with other people, I either am too afraid to say anything, or I don't want to say the wrong things. As I get older, it's gotten a bit easier, but I'm still no where near where I want to be. I don't really know much good advice, except to practice talking to people you're not comfortable with. I should be doing the same thing, and I know that if I practiced, I'd be able to get better at keeping up a conversation with someone I don't know and also feel comfortable about it.

I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant.


It is what you do with the gift of life


that determines who you are. -Mewtwo: Pokemon The First Movie
MonkeyMan213 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth maul View Post
Could you give more information about your ADHD like who diagnosed you when and what symptoms you had.Anxiety and depression can mimic the symptoms of ADHD.
I definitely have ADHD. ADHD runs very deeply in my family, and I was first diagnosed with it as a kid, way before I had any anxiety issues. I started taking medication for it about a year ago, and had to get tested again for that since ADHD doesn't last into adulthood for many, and I was again diagnosed with it. You could be right, though, that anxiety or depression could be making it worse
skyler33 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan213 View Post
I know exactly what you're talking about, as I have Social Anxiety, ADHD and I also take medication to help me focus. I have similar effects with the medication I take, which makes my heart faster than without it, but I still need it. I feel the same way you do, as I am quiet around people I don't know or don't talk to much. With people I know well, like my parents or a friend, I can talk so much without being anxious. But with other people, I either am too afraid to say anything, or I don't want to say the wrong things. As I get older, it's gotten a bit easier, but I'm still no where near where I want to be. I don't really know much good advice, except to practice talking to people you're not comfortable with. I should be doing the same thing, and I know that if I practiced, I'd be able to get better at keeping up a conversation with someone I don't know and also feel comfortable about it.
Exactly!! Talking to others is good advice I actually started working as a waitress a few months ago (which is something that I never thought I'd be able to do because of how much I'd have to talk to people, but I needed a job and there was an opening) and I really do think it has helped me learn somewhat how to better talk with people, or at least to strangers. The only problem is when I had to stop for a while to study for finals, I noticed I started going back to my anxiety levels before working there, and when I started work again talking was a lot harder than it was before. I want to get better at talking to people I know but am not close with, but so far I don't feel like my job has helped me with that
skyler33 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 07:53 AM
Where Have I Gone Wrong?
 
MonkeyMan213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Not where I want to be.
Gender: Male
Age: 22
Posts: 70
My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler33 View Post
Exactly!! Talking to others is good advice I actually started working as a waitress a few months ago (which is something that I never thought I'd be able to do because of how much I'd have to talk to people, but I needed a job and there was an opening) and I really do think it has helped me learn somewhat how to better talk with people, or at least to strangers. The only problem is when I had to stop for a while to study for finals, I noticed I started going back to my anxiety levels before working there, and when I started work again talking was a lot harder than it was before. I want to get better at talking to people I know but am not close with, but so far I don't feel like my job has helped me with that
At least you got that job in the first place. Even though you never thought you'd be able to do it, you still did. Consider that an improvement, since you went out and talked to people you didn't know for the job. I've thought about being a waiter, but I realized that I would be really bad at it, since I wouldn't be able to be very lively with every customer. Maybe your anxiety was related to studying for finals, since they definitely put a lot of stress on you. Even though it seems a bit odd, that may have been the case.

I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant.


It is what you do with the gift of life


that determines who you are. -Mewtwo: Pokemon The First Movie
MonkeyMan213 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:31 AM
SAS Member
 
Daxi004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Age: 27
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler33 View Post
I have SAD and ADHD and I'm not sure how to cope with both at the same time. I currently take medication for my ADHD, and it really helps me concentrate, but dramatically increases the physical symptoms of my anxiety (ex: faster heart rate, breathing, more shaking and stuttering, redder face). I've tried different types of medication but have had the same issue with all of them.

I also notice that it's really hard for me to talk at a normal pace with people. When I'm uncomfortable I stay very quiet because I feel too anxious to speak, but when I am comfortable I can talk someones head off because I have so many things going through my head and I want to say something before I forget it. I wish I could just talk back and forth with someone normally, and feel comfortable about it.

Does anyone else have SAD and ADHD and deals with these issues and knows ways to cope with them?
I have SAD and ADD.
Try to say easy things, try to trust yourself that you can speak without thought or planning.
Just open your mouth and and let some words come out. It is called improvising. Almost every time I done this to get by I have not said anything too strange that anybody else cared to point out, even though I've might been feeling weird and shallow the whole conversation.
It's a start?
Daxi004 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:38 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Language: English
Gender: Male
Posts: 1
My Mood: Tired
I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and was on Ritalin up until the age of 15-16. Now as an adult I find myself wondering if I should be taking it again as I find it so hard to concentrate and focus on tasks. I have also suffered from major depression and anxiety issues since my late teens. I have often contemplated whether or not a childhood on Ritalin contributed to these issues.

Sorry there doesn't appear to be an actual answer here for you just thought it was an interesting post that resonated with me somewhat.
precariat blues is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan213 View Post
At least you got that job in the first place. Even though you never thought you'd be able to do it, you still did. Consider that an improvement, since you went out and talked to people you didn't know for the job. I've thought about being a waiter, but I realized that I would be really bad at it, since I wouldn't be able to be very lively with every customer. Maybe your anxiety was related to studying for finals, since they definitely put a lot of stress on you. Even though it seems a bit odd, that may have been the case.
I definitely was proud of myself for being able to go there and get the job! I have improved these past few years through therapy and forcing myself to talk and look at people, and I don't think I would have been able to go get that job a year ago.
And that's exactly what I thought about waiting before I tried it. I'm definitely not the most personable server who works there, but I get the job done. And I do really like talking to people, it just makes me anxious and I'm not very good at it. I think you should try it if you want. Though it hasn't cured my social anxiety, I do notice that if I have been working a lot recently I don't feel as anxious when I have to talk to strangers outside of my job. And even though I probably did feel more anxiety than normal when studying for finals, I don't think that affected this. I took a break from work before I really had to start studying, and didn't come back until after exams were over, so I wasn't stressed about school at work. I just notice that when I have been working many days in a row I feel more confident talking to people, but if I haven't been working for a while I start to go back to feeling how anxious I was before starting the job
skyler33 is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 04:09 PM
Where Have I Gone Wrong?
 
MonkeyMan213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Not where I want to be.
Gender: Male
Age: 22
Posts: 70
My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler33 View Post
I definitely was proud of myself for being able to go there and get the job! I have improved these past few years through therapy and forcing myself to talk and look at people, and I don't think I would have been able to go get that job a year ago.
And that's exactly what I thought about waiting before I tried it. I'm definitely not the most personable server who works there, but I get the job done. And I do really like talking to people, it just makes me anxious and I'm not very good at it. I think you should try it if you want. Though it hasn't cured my social anxiety, I do notice that if I have been working a lot recently I don't feel as anxious when I have to talk to strangers outside of my job. And even though I probably did feel more anxiety than normal when studying for finals, I don't think that affected this. I took a break from work before I really had to start studying, and didn't come back until after exams were over, so I wasn't stressed about school at work. I just notice that when I have been working many days in a row I feel more confident talking to people, but if I haven't been working for a while I start to go back to feeling how anxious I was before starting the job
That makes sense, since you do it for a a few weeks at a time, you get more used to it. Once you take a break, for a few weeks, it gets harder to get back into the swing of things since you stop for a while. I would love to be able to talk to people, since I always like making friends, it's just that I'm not good at it, which can only be worked on by doing it constantly.

I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant.


It is what you do with the gift of life


that determines who you are. -Mewtwo: Pokemon The First Movie
MonkeyMan213 is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by precariat blues View Post
I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and was on Ritalin up until the age of 15-16. Now as an adult I find myself wondering if I should be taking it again as I find it so hard to concentrate and focus on tasks. I have also suffered from major depression and anxiety issues since my late teens. I have often contemplated whether or not a childhood on Ritalin contributed to these issues.

Sorry there doesn't appear to be an actual answer here for you just thought it was an interesting post that resonated with me somewhat.
I think it's very common for people with adhd to also suffer from anxiety and/or depression, so you may be feeling like this just because of that alone. I take adderall which doesn't (directly) make me feel more anxious in my head, it just increases my physical symtoms, but I've never heard of people having problems like yours caused directly from having taken stimulants years ago (but I also wasn't on medication as a child so I wouldn't really know)

Maybe you could try low doses at first or another type of medication and see if they help or hurt more, if you feel you feel you need that extra help
skyler33 is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhelou View Post
I have SAD and ADD.
Try to say easy things, try to trust yourself that you can speak without thought or planning.
Just open your mouth and and let some words come out. It is called improvising. Almost every time I done this to get by I have not said anything too strange that anybody else cared to point out, even though I've might been feeling weird and shallow the whole conversation.
It's a start?
Yeah, I've been trying to stop overthinking what to say before I say it because I know it just makes me more anxious and sounds a lot more forced. When I don't plan what to say it sounds much more natural, but I also notice I often end up stumbling words or avoid talking in general out of fear of saying something weird or stupid. Saying "easy things" does sound like a good idea to start, but I want to get to a place where I can talk to almost anyone about almost anything easily and without fear or hesitation
skyler33 is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan213 View Post
That makes sense, since you do it for a a few weeks at a time, you get more used to it. Once you take a break, for a few weeks, it gets harder to get back into the swing of things since you stop for a while. I would love to be able to talk to people, since I always like making friends, it's just that I'm not good at it, which can only be worked on by doing it constantly.
I completely understand what you're saying about making friends. Talking to people at work has helped me be less anxious in basic conversations, but not in getting closer to the people I already know. I absolutely love meeting new people, and I can often "make" a friend, but I'm terrible at keeping them. I never start conversations or invite people I'm not already really close to to hang out because I have this feeling in the back of my head that I'll annoy them or they don't actually like me and are just being nice. I know it's irrational because these people will talk to me and invite me to hang out with them, but I still would get those feelings if I ever thought about being the one to initiate anything. Eventually people usually stop trying to talk to me because they think I don't like them. It also affects my love life because guys obviously don't think I'm into them if I always look like I'm actively ignoring them
skyler33 is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:05 AM
SAS Member
 
Daxi004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Age: 27
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler33 View Post
Yeah, I've been trying to stop overthinking what to say before I say it because I know it just makes me more anxious and sounds a lot more forced. When I don't plan what to say it sounds much more natural, but I also notice I often end up stumbling words or avoid talking in general out of fear of saying something weird or stupid. Saying "easy things" does sound like a good idea to start, but I want to get to a place where I can talk to almost anyone about almost anything easily and without fear or hesitation
Whenever you have motivation, keep practicing, focus on easy positive things... then one might get to be comfortably complicated with other people. I'm sure you'll get where you want!
Daxi004 is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 AM
GrandCustodian of Synosis
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Gender: Male
Age: 39
Posts: 567
how about an Ensam-6 patch with gabapentin and rosmaranic acid as the alternative
Tone is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:04 AM
GrandCustodian of Synosis
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Gender: Male
Age: 39
Posts: 567
The Stimulants present a mystery in people prone to Axiogenia because they will start out as an antianxiety and then reverse to causing anxiety, whereby the reverse occurs to early to think of it as a comedown rebound withdrawal between doses. Feels like the dopamine boost doesnt last long then everything else it does lasts throughout the drugs significant blood levels, changing the effect in the middle of a dose for certain people prone to this.. double plateau drugmed

Im interested in people who feel good the first 60 to 100 minutes of a stimulant, then it turns foul and to speculate why this occurs in a subgroup
Tone is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ritalin (Methylphenidate) A Godsent For Social Anxiety - My Experience anxious96 Medication 7 04-27-2016 07:24 PM
Social anxiety, depression, and ADHD all related? mbs Secondary Disorders 21 06-08-2013 10:15 AM
Can ADHD smyptoms really be resp. confused with social anxiety symptoms? nameuser Coping With Social Anxiety 1 01-18-2012 09:48 PM
Bipolar spectrum or ADHD? crayzyMed Medication 51 02-25-2011 05:08 AM
Need some advice with ADHD medication and social anxiety medication jerishac Medication 7 02-09-2011 12:35 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome