sleeping problems - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

sleeping problems

I know that anxiety can cause sleeping problems. But I've had a really strange problem for probably the past couple of months. Almost every night, I "wake up" around 1 or 2am, look at the clock, nearly panic, thinking it's late in the afternoon and stumble around the house until I finally realize it's not time to go to work. I say "wake up" because it's almost as if I'm sleep walking.

I don't have this problem on the week-ends, so it must be related to anxiety about not getting up on time. But, the weird thing is, my job isn't super strict about me coming in at a certain time. I try to relax before I go to bed and I tell myself that there's no need to worry about getting up. I have two alarm clocks set- one electric, one battery operated in case of a power outage. Man- it sounds like I'm obsessive. But, honestly, I don't feel overly concerned about it normally. It's just my sleeping self seems to be obsessed with waking me up prematurely.

I used to just get this once in awhile when I had something important to get up for. Now, it's almost every week day. I do really want to do well at my current job, so that may have to do with it. But- it's really weird. I'm starting to fear for my sanity...ha. Anyone else have simliar problems?

Sometimes I wish I were someone else, but then why not just try to be the person I want to be?

Crazy girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Re: sleeping problems

Damn...I was really hoping someone could relate. I guess it is kind of weird.

Sometimes I wish I were someone else, but then why not just try to be the person I want to be?

Crazy girl
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 08:18 AM

I used to have problems with waking up several times during the night. The only thing that helped was a quarter dose of Sominex (half of one pill).

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 06:28 PM

Once in a while I'll have a month or two where I do nothing but sleep...
But I usually only sleep 1-4 hours a night. (for instance, tonight I slept for almost exactly one hour)

Don't think that's exactly what you're looking for, but hey, at least that means you're not the weirdest person in this thread!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyg
Damn...I was really hoping someone could relate. I guess it is kind of weird.
Actually, I don't think this is weird at all. At times, when I was working days (hated it with a passion...), on occasion, I'd wake up around midnight-1 am in a panic because I thought I had overslept. More than a few times, I actually got up, started getting ready to go to work, letting the dog out, feeding the cats... things like that but when I looked at the clock, I'd see that I had about 3 more hours before I needed to get up.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 07:21 PM
SAS Member

I very rarely wake up to my alarm ringing. I almost always wake up a few minutes beforehand so that I can turn it off before it goes off. That's really common.

I've never done the sort of sleep-walking you describe though.

AIM: adamhoef

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
SAS Member

I very rarely have any problem sleeping. Overall I sleep great.

I remember waking up a few times when I worked grave not knowing if it was day or night or if I was supposed to work or not...waking up in a panic....I know what you mean about that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for all the responses! It does help to know some of you have experienced something similar at some point. Annie- your experience sounds really similar to mine. I just wish I could go back to only having it once in awhile.

I used to sleep through the night no problem. Though, like Adam, I'd usually wake up right before the alarm clock. Even if I would set the alarm clock for a different time, I'd used to be able to wake up right before it went off. Weird. It's like suddenly my internal clock is messed up.

Crazy girl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page