Self harm coping mechanisms (Trigger Warning) - Page 5 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #81 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 01:16 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairykins View Post
The last and only time, someone I am very close too, saw them and called me stupid. Honestly, it was a pretty heart-wrenching moment as I was at one of my lowest points.
Ouch, that's awful. People are so ignorant. I don't always take steps to hide them, but I absolutely never do anything to draw attention to them or bring them up myself because I know that's the type of reaction I'd get. That, or something pitying, and I can't stand pity. People who haven't been there just don't get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 06:46 PM
alien love gardener

Language: English, Stomatopodian
Depressing

hello I am anna I like patting bumbleebess and playing detective and I want tummypats pleas
post #83 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:51 PM
slowlygettinglessanxious

My Mood: Worried
Smile

Self Harm

There are some great tips in this thread, I will try and use them to help me to cope next time I get stressed.

post #84 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 PM
SAS Member

This might sound odd, but I get a pair of tweezers and start plucking the hairs on my upper thighs. Its where I used to cut (so it would be hidden under clothes - didn't want the problems many of you have of hiding scars ). Surprisingly satisfying!
post #85 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Amanda Grace

My Mood: Fine
thank you for sharing this! I was running out of ideas for coping and relapsed a few times in the past few months after 5 years cut free. I'll make sure to come to this thread if I am able to access it when having an urge/thoughts.

Amanda
post #86 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 09:25 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Wow, awesome thread. Unfortunately those techniques don't work for me.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #87 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:34 PM
SAS Member

I generally do a lot of things on that list already but snapping a rubber band on the wrist does sound physically satisfying, especially as I have PTSD. I am going to give it a try. I just want to *feel* something.

"Life is intrinsically, well, boring and dangerous at the same time. At any given moment the floor may open up. Of course, it almost never does..." - EDWARD GOREY
post #88 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Permanently Banned

meh... I'm just going to keep doing those things, but it's an addiction for me... an addiction where I think I might die without giving in
post #89 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 12:44 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
The thing to look into is to break the habit.

If there is a tendency to want to self-injure, try getting through one situation without doing it. Takes notes on how you felt. If necessary, replace the action with something that is healthier, like going outside with your headphones and walking.....get out in public where the temptation would not be present.

The key is to "feel the burn" of wanting to self-injure, but not doing it to see how you are able to get through it. Use thought techniques to help.

"I am better than this. I may not feel good now, but I will feel better in ten minutes."

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #90 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 09:59 PM
SAS Member

none of the links work.....
post #91 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:03 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethg1981 View Post
none of the links work.....

The original post was made a few years ago so the links probably became obsolete over time. If I see any others, I'll pass them along.
post #92 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 03:41 AM
absurdinista

I take too many benzos, and cut my wrist with a razor. I try to do it minimally, especially during summer. Unfortunately, it's goddamn July, and I got a little carried away.

I'm also restricting my calories, and I'm at an underweight BMI at the moment. There's a lot going on in my life emotionally, and I'm very fearful, and I noticed I was having trouble controlling my food intake, which I normally monitor more- so I decided to go strict for five days. It's not healthy, but it makes me feel like I can handle my emotions, or something.

Now I have to put a ton of foundation on my wrist for a presentation tomorrow, because if I keep wearing an arm band around my wrist at work people will start talking....oy.

//they値l clap when you die
they値l love you when you池e dead
and they値l understand
and you値l be forgiven then//
post #93 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Deep listener

My Mood: Doubtful
I also harmed myself when I was feeling really depressed and helpless. I still have some scars.
Cutting made me feel better, but I haven,t done that for some months, even though I am depressed and I'm so alone.
post #94 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:51 PM
SAS Member

I gotta say, as much as this is a wonderful list of things to do to help, I find myself focused mainly on the "eat a chili pepper" suggestion of the Disconnected list. You can't feel like crap if your mouth is flaring up haha. Seriously though, I love this full list, and I'll have to try some of the suggestions!
post #95 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 03:07 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Goofy
This post is absolutely fantastic! was actually feeling pretty crappy and wanted to cut. this stopped that. and just reading it made me smile??? is that weird? i feel like its weird?
post #96 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 10:16 AM
SAS Member

I could never give up SI; I need it to survive. I don't think it's a huge deal if you have control over it and never cut deep; I've been doing it for over a decade. I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's just something I have to do, and I couldn't give it up even if I tried. Anyone else who is not interested in recovery?
post #97 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 10:28 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci86 View Post
I could never give up SI; I need it to survive. I don't think it's a huge deal if you have control over it and never cut deep; I've been doing it for over a decade. I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's just something I have to do, and I couldn't give it up even if I tried. Anyone else who is not interested in recovery? :-p
I was so the same way. But I "snapped" out of it. Yeah it was surface stuff (even though I have scars) and I was always consistent but it was still awful for me to do that. Having to cover up, being judged by the people that do see it (especially now), etc. I so understand but looking back I'm like I could of done something else. I'm about 3 months clean . Its so not worth it.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #98 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 05:01 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
I have to say I'm glad I never got into cutting. Punching your knuckles bloody and and blue ain't smart either but atleast it didn't leave scars lol

-Well, this is awkward.
post #99 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:30 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci86 View Post
I could never give up SI; I need it to survive. I don't think it's a huge deal if you have control over it and never cut deep; I've been doing it for over a decade. I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's just something I have to do, and I couldn't give it up even if I tried. Anyone else who is not interested in recovery? :-p
I feel the same, and am in the same position, having been relying on it for 15 years or so. I would only want to stop doing it if the issues that cause me to do it went away first. It's like worrying about splashing the water while you're drowning.

I wish I could take more comfort from the strategies people suggest to avoid doing it. The truth is I can't settle for safe alternatives, or tricks to distract myself from the urge, I have to hurt myself.
post #100 of 110 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 04:48 PM
SAS Member

^I'm glad that there are some other people who share my opinion as well Thanks for the responses

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page