Screen & Internet Addiction - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
a bundle of joy

Screen & Internet Addiction

I assume it's very common among the socially anxious, but I have an issue with Internet addiction. Some people call it screen addiction, since it usually involves a computer, TV, smartphone, or tablet. To paraphrase Wikipedia's list of categories of Internet addiction, they are:
  1. online relationships
  2. adult websites
  3. gaming
  4. browsing / search for information
  5. gambling, shopping, and other compulsive behaviors conducted online
  6. virtual reality

The "browsing / search for information" one applies the most in my case. I have serious difficulty stopping. This is because Internet is my stress relief and I am not in the habit of filling my free time with other things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:09 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed
For me its not an addiction, its a time consumer, an escape. If i could be partying away with friends or going out somewhere with some buddies i sure as hell wouldnt be staring at a stupid screen all day long.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:55 AM
SAS Member

Yeah, certainly very common amongst the socially anxious.

I'm like you in that the 'browsing / searching for information' applies most to me as well. I love devouring new information. Devouring new information brings me stress relief as it serves as a temporary escape for me.

For me it's both an addiction and time-consumer.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 01:11 AM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
How come when people are doing anything else all the time it's never an addiction but it's only an addiction if it's something society doesn't want you to do?

/WYSD
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:13 PM
Pandora’s Birthright

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad1231234 View Post
For me its not an addiction, its a time consumer, an escape. If i could be partying away with friends or going out somewhere with some buddies i sure as hell wouldnt be staring at a stupid screen all day long.

Some people will always need help. That doesn’t mean they’re not worth helping
– Meera Reed
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
a bundle of joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
How come when people are doing anything else all the time it's never an addiction but it's only an addiction if it's something society doesn't want you to do?
I'm not bothered by the fact that I'm a regular Internet user but by the fact that it gets in the way of anything else worthwhile. If anything, 2017 society is decidedly in favor of Internet amusement.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:38 PM
Poorly tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyShifty View Post
I'm not bothered by the fact that I'm a regular Internet user but by the fact that it gets in the way of anything else worthwhile. If anything, 2017 society is decidedly in favor of Internet amusement.
But if you enjoy it so much that you're choosing to do it, is it really getting in the way of anything you'd rather be doing? Sounds to me like you're simply choosing what's preferable to you.

/WYSD
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Self-absorbed but it's ok

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead
I've been having a serious internet addiction starting from the age of 13-14. In my case, it always increases when I have to deal with frustration or depression. I would be addicted/attached to a few people I met there during that age. First they treated me well and we were kind of developing very good and profound friendship, but then those few people treated me in the totally opposite way (i'm saying ''people'', but all of them were actually male. So probably I should say ''men'' instead, but that was friendship). The problem was I was totally long-term lonely during that time. Now, after about 8 years the situation repeated again, this time a lot worse.

So I have an advice for people here not to get too attachet to the people on the internet unless you're planning to comunicate with them soon in real life.

For me it's a bigger issue and very complex, having to do not only with the internet. All I can say is that the internet is a cursed invention for people like me. It's worse than most of other addictions because it has a social component in it too.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
a bundle of joy

@WillYouStopDave

It doesn't feel like a voluntary choice. It feels more like I have no control over how I spend my time. Maybe that's not an addiction or a social anxiety question but a time management one. But I can hardly see the difference. It's like, "Hey I have a few spare hours and no plans. I guess I'll play around the Internet and get nothing out of it like I do every other day." And I don't even plan to do this consciously. It just happens.

@SorryForMyEnglish

Thanks for posting. That's an interesting topic. Personally I don't think an online friendship is inherently bad, nor is the Internet as a whole inherently bad. The danger lies in how we use it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:24 AM
Poorly tuned

Quote:
@WillYouStopDave

It doesn't feel like a voluntary choice. It feels more like I have no control over how I spend my time.
But actually, you do. It is a voluntary choice whether it feels like one or not.

/WYSD
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:52 AM
#SaveTheOA

Quote:

Thanks for posting. That's an interesting topic. Personally I don't think an online friendship is inherently bad, nor is the Internet as a whole inherently bad. The danger lies in how we use it.
Yes well, how we use the internet becomes a habit. I find myself logging in several different sites that I check into every single day and it's like a repeat every single day. Yeah sure, we can break habits and form new ones but it's pretty hard. Yeah, how we use the internet sounds like a good habit to form where we use the internet wisely like anything. You sound like Irresistible by Adam Alter. I couldn't even finish a chapter cuz the internet is irresistible. I can only really get myself to read books on the toilet during #2 only. Don't bash us baby, even people who are not socially anxious use their internet unwisely.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:56 AM
Aly
Social outcast

I have a very bad internet addiction, and I've had it for years. It's all I do when I'm not at work or out with friends. It doesn't bother me though. love to escape reality. I can't imagine spending my time doing something else. I'd be so bored.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:15 AM
#SaveTheOA

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/brain-ha...rs-60-minutes/

^That's cool, they say you get anxiety and the fight/flight feeling in the time you don't check your phone/apps/social media. You get anxiety and depression in the time you spend away/in the time leading up to wanting to check your phone/apps/social media. When we do check our phone/apps/social media we relieve that anxiety!!!!!!!!1 Well these addicting devices are only this way cuz it stimulates your dopamine baby.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:38 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
I'm on the internet all the time at home, but I wouldn't say I am addicted to it, I just have nothing else to do.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:28 AM
prince charming

I live off grid half of the year. No tv, no books, no phone, no internet, no radio, no people, no nothing. Just me and the outdoors. Only in sort of emergency situations I can go online/make a call. I've been looking forward to being in this situation for years. I't very tough at times. I've come to realize that what stands between me and being on a downward spiral is often information of some sort. It was a shock when I realized this. Being able to discover something new seems to be an antidote for the feeling of being stuck. It works, but in the end it doesn't help me to change my life. In fact, time is passing by and I am still stuck. Life is about people, weather I like it or not. It was on the top of my agenda when I was out there in the woods having one of the worst crises of my life. I've been back in society just a couple of weeks now and I'm having an awful hard time to not spend my time in front of this screen. It steels my time, hinders progress and I'm letting it. I'm definitely addicted. I lull myself into sleep with the idea I'm connecting to people here. It's a half truth.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:37 AM
ghostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan Jie View Post
I live off grid half of the year. No tv, no books, no phone, no internet, no radio, no people, no nothing. Just me and the outdoors. Only in sort of emergency situations I can go online/make a call. I've been looking forward to being in this situation for years. I't very tough at times. I've come to realize that what stands between me and being on a downward spiral is often information of some sort. It was a shock when I realized this. Being able to discover something new seems to be an antidote for the feeling of being stuck. It works, but in the end it doesn't help me to change my life. In fact, time is passing by and I am still stuck. Life is about people, weather I like it or not. It was on the top of my agenda when I was out there in the woods having one of the worst crises of my life. I've been back in society just a couple of weeks now and I'm having an awful hard time to not spend my time in front of this screen. It steels my time, hinders progress and I'm letting it. I'm definitely addicted. I lull myself into sleep with the idea I'm connecting to people here. It's a half truth.
that seems really cool, do you mean you live in the woods for half the year?
but i agree with the bolded part. its a hard truth, and i wish it didn't have to be that way

believe in urself
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:53 AM
prince charming

@mt moyt Yeah I do. The irony is that it's detrimental to my mental health if I'm stuck with myself without the above for too long. Didn't see that one coming since I thought of myself as being alone most of the time anyway. It's not the same thing with a screen in front of you at all.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Hermit

My Mood: Scared
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00DBINE View Post
I'm on the internet all the time at home, but I wouldn't say I am addicted to it, I just have nothing else to do.
I feel the same. It's like I am in a jail for a crime I didn't comit, the jail door is open but there's nothing out there for me. Every time I try to pass from that door, I see people walking outside happy, like they are high on some substance, so I prefer to stay inside than leaving the house and getting depressed.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:41 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, Korean, something else soon
i search for stuff a lot. i think i'm going to solve all my problems all way by googling stuff i guess. not really. im always thinking of questions i need answered. so distracting.

know yourself, love yourself
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Self-absorbed but it's ok

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead
I’m immersing myself into things to the point of feeling the absence of my existence. Not so much when I post cause I express myself that way and if I express something I’m aware of my existence and that I have a personality and stuff.

But when I just browse and read things I feel this way.. I remember being addicted to point and click adventure games (not casual ones) and I would replay them many times as a teenager and a little later. Those games were more interesting and stimulating than my life. There were people as characters in most of them and I wouldn’t talk to real ones most of the time so it was kind of a substitute. Also you play for some character so it’s not you, but someone else. Its not like I had a lot of games. I would just download them I have a temptation to immerse myself into that again because of going back to intense depression and frustration.

Sorry for not currently replying to your posts addressed to me. I will do that later (hopefully in a few days) because now I can't Please, don't take it personally because you have nothing to do with it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page