Quit smoking and depression - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quit smoking and depression

Hi all, I am doing an abstinence from nicotine till 1 October, I used nicotine as an antidepressant and now feel much worse, I was thinking about a medication useful for depression that interact with the same receptors of nicotine like bupropion, SA is more under control but I don't have a social life but I can work without problems.

I was thinking tha these depressive attacks were a form of withdrawal syndrome from nicotine but I remeber having these also when I was a nonskomer so I think they are natural in my brain chemistry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 01:38 AM
SAS Member

I want to start by commending you on your fight to get rid of these habits if you don't want them in your life, takes balls. You seem to have identified the problems with it though. You've left a hole where one of your coping methods used to be and there's nothing to fill the gap yet. It's hard enough just dropping a habit or behaviour that we use to get by, something with chemicals like nicotine involved is so much harder, hence the troubles so many people have quitting. They want to, but they still need it in their life to get by and there's nothing to replace it so they go back. I don't really know what to suggest sorry Hopefully someone wise can help you out.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I had to restart, too depressed, but I will not surrender to the addiction.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 01:13 PM
Oneironaut

Didn't realise smoking mitigates depression. I might have to stay on the ciggies after all.

"...If only I could be so grossly incandescent..."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 01:30 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
Next time you quit just look it at it differently, feel good about it,You should have a refreshed feeling that you are no longer nicotine's *****, It will really rob you of your life and could cost you a fortune in health expenses in the end, I used Copenhagen for 30 years and tried ti quit many times by throwing away the can only to be back at the store buying another can in a few hours, finally somehow one day I just gave it up for good, I think it has been 12 years now since I quit, I would probably be missing teeth and have mouth cancer by now if I didn't.I have also spared myself spending at least 21,000 dollars in the past twelve years. Just try to stop it,tobacco products are put out there to suppress you, to kill you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 02:39 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Flirty
Ever considered switching to vaping? I smoked for several years and kept failing trying to give up previously. Switched over to vaping and haven't looked back since, and I've now quit smoking cigarettes for about two years. The last time I did have a cigarette at a party it tasted absolutely vile to me, I had to give it away. And this is coming from somebody who could easily get through a pack of 20 in a night out previously.

The good thing about vaping also is you can regulate the nicotine strength, so if you are used to a higher intake you can gradually work your way down if you want to wean off completely as they do the juices with low nicotine and also nicotine free.

My Neck, My Back, My Anxiety Attacks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 PM
ghostly

ive been trying to quit as well. ive cut it down to 3 cigs a day but cant get it to 2.
ive also been a bit less happy lately so this could explain it.
i also think for me its not so much nicotine withdrawal but the habit and the association with relaxing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

believe in urself
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiguanGiant View Post
Didn't realise smoking mitigates depression. I might have to stay on the ciggies after all.
Nicotine is well reported to be bad for anxiety, for depression the studies are few and not very convincing and there are reports of people who say that nicotine helps with depressione and is also my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainrider88 View Post
Next time you quit just look it at it differently, feel good about it,You should have a refreshed feeling that you are no longer nicotine's *****, It will really rob you of your life and could cost you a fortune in health expenses in the end, I used Copenhagen for 30 years and tried ti quit many times by throwing away the can only to be back at the store buying another can in a few hours, finally somehow one day I just gave it up for good, I think it has been 12 years now since I quit, I would probably be missing teeth and have mouth cancer by now if I didn't.I have also spared myself spending at least 21,000 dollars in the past twelve years. Just try to stop it,tobacco products are put out there to suppress you, to kill you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiosa View Post
Ever considered switching to vaping? I smoked for several years and kept failing trying to give up previously. Switched over to vaping and haven't looked back since, and I've now quit smoking cigarettes for about two years. The last time I did have a cigarette at a party it tasted absolutely vile to me, I had to give it away. And this is coming from somebody who could easily get through a pack of 20 in a night out previously.

The good thing about vaping also is you can regulate the nicotine strength, so if you are used to a higher intake you can gradually work your way down if you want to wean off completely as they do the juices with low nicotine and also nicotine free.
I will consider vaping but I don't feel the urge to quit because I smoke a little: 2-3 cigarettes per day, more if is a difficult day and I am more depressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt moyt View Post
ive been trying to quit as well. ive cut it down to 3 cigs a day but cant get it to 2.
ive also been a bit less happy lately so this could explain it.
i also think for me its not so much nicotine withdrawal but the habit and the association with relaxing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, when the amount of nicotine inhaled is under 5 cigs per day I think that the withdrawal syndrome is not that strong, in my case is endogenous depression that drive me to smoke to alleviate the symptoms, maybe I need a better antidepressant instead of smoking.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 04:14 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Ferdinand View Post

Yes, when the amount of nicotine inhaled is under 5 cigs per day I think that the withdrawal syndrome is not that strong, in my case is endogenous depression that drive me to smoke to alleviate the symptoms, maybe I need a better antidepressant instead of smoking.
I agree with you about the antidepressant. I have never been a smoker myself (not tobacco at least), but I have suffered with different kinds of addictions and anti-depressants are not only good for your overall confidence and well-being, but they also after a few weeks of being in your system tend to "take the edge off" aka you have less of a chance of having a panic attack from something like a nicotine withdrawal

Both a Sufferer and Conquerer, Here to help in any way I can
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:28 AM
SAS Member

same goes for me too.
I also used to smoke hash cigarettes back then.
But when i stopped it, it caused me serious depression.
Then one of my friends suggests me to start vaping because it is healthy to smoke.
so i bought an e-cigarette from ECig-City promo codes.
Now i am all good.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:07 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I quit smoking about 15 years ago but took up vaping last year, I guess I missed it even after all that time.

It's in my head that I want to quit vaping though. I don't think it's 100% harmless. There are different opinions, the jury's still out.

I looked into getting on Chantix/Champix (vareniclene). It's a smoking cessation medication. But turns out I couldn't take it along with the antidepressant I'm already taking.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:39 AM
Duke Duck

My Mood: Goofy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Ferdinand View Post
Hi all, I am doing an abstinence from nicotine till 1 October, I used nicotine as an antidepressant and now feel much worse, I was thinking about a medication useful for depression that interact with the same receptors of nicotine like bupropion, SA is more under control but I don't have a social life but I can work without problems.

I was thinking tha these depressive attacks were a form of withdrawal syndrome from nicotine but I remeber having these also when I was a nonskomer so I think they are natural in my brain chemistry.

Did the depression completely go away when you were on nicotine? Or did it only reduce?

Maybe it was just a source to increase dopamine levels, and now that you've stopped it you're experiencing lower dopamine levels. You could try other ways to increase levels. Eg: Daily rigorous exercise (high speed cardio and weights)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page