Premature Greys - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Premature Greys

Since i was about 15 i've had a few scattered white hairs mixed in with my black hair. Last year i got tired of it and started dying it but even after I've dyed it i'm constantly paranoid and checking the mirror to see if i can see any. It really affects my confidence if i'm out somewhere and i think i can spot a white hair.

Do you think stress caused this? (i'm really f%[email protected]*#! stressed ) although my mother said she got premature greys early too. Is there any supplements or vitamins you can take to prevent it?

Btw when i say grey i really mean white hairs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Permanently Banned

No, I don't think stress has anything to do with it. Though clearly the grey hairs are causing you a great deal of stress.

My guess would be genetics, given that your mother had the same issue. Some people just have hair that goes grey early. Way back when I knew a guy who had salt & pepper hair before the age of 30, a look you'd expect on a guy a couple decades older.

My suggestion would be to simply not worry about it. Yeah, I know, much easier said than done. But things are as they are and you'll have just as much grey if you endlessly stare in a mirror counting the greys or if you don't, so why waste your life on something you can't change? And, if stress, did actually cause this (which I doubt) then obsession over it sure isn't going to reduce your stress.

I'm 36 and I can find a few grey hairs on my head if I search. In the summer of 1999 I first noticed that my hair was thinning. It used to drive me nuts. I tried minoxidil & finasteride (both failed) and I was forced to simply accept that I was losing my hair. Accepting that made me feel a lot better than staring in a mirror at how much I had lost, and saved a lot of time that was wasted on something I have no control over.

I know it seems like a HUGE deal to you, just like hair loss used to seem like a huge issue to me. Trust me, basically nobody else cares about your hair and you'd feel a lot better if you had the same lack of concern.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:38 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Hey, I'm only 34, and my hair is (at least) 50% grey. Runs in my family. Stinks, too, because I've always had beautiful red hair - one of my few "assets." Now I have to dye it every 5 weeks.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunus View Post
Hey, I'm only 34, and my hair is (at least) 50% grey. Runs in my family. Stinks, too, because I've always had beautiful red hair - one of my few "assets." Now I have to dye it every 5 weeks.
The OP is male, an advantage in this case. Greying hair makes a man look "distinguished" -- George Clooney, for example.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

^ Yep, gotta love double standards!

Actually, even if it were the reverse, I'd still be dying my hair. I wanna look my age, dang it!

But, alas, it seems to be a losing battle...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 PM

there is absolutely nothing wrong with grey hair on a man
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Permanently Banned

I got my first white hair when I was 17. It didn't get too bad until I hit my 30s. Then people kept telling me how much white hair I had. I started dying it to stop people from being so obnoxious. I also don't like getting or even looking older. People just look a lot older with white hair.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
I didn't shave for about 4 weeks+...then i looked in the mirror(for some reason) and noticed a few Grey hair on my beard. I got upset and shaved right away. I look young again.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Too School for Cool

I love me some salt and pepper hair. So distinguished.

- I'mma be the syrup she can be my waffle.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:58 AM
is getting over herself

I'm so grateful I still only have a few white hairs. I'm dreading the day I'll have to start really dyeing it. But yes, the double standard is alive and well - I really don't care if a man's hair is grey or not, nor do I care about it on other women. but me? no!!!!!!!!!!!!

Live Cage Free!!!! or, at least be wild caught.
SnowFlakesFire:

You can rebuild your self-esteem. Rebuild it into a way that others cannot destroy it anymore.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:36 AM
SAS Member

I'm a 29-year-old female and I have more grey hairs than my 67-year-old uncle. I really should go buy some hair dye, but I guess I'm either too lazy or I just don't care enough.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 05:45 AM
Gentle Impulsion

My Mood: Angelic
I have a pure white hair right in the very front and I think it's kind of cool =]. It's not very noticeable at all but to me though xD.

I hope when I get older my hair goes super white and not gray. slicked back pure white ponytail, awwww yeahhhh =D

Flowers in her hair
Demons in her head
Drugs in her veins
Madness in her mind
Love in her soul
Storm in her heart
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 AM
SAS Member

I have had grey hairs since I was bout sixteen, but not that many. I pluck them out with tweezers everytime they grow back.

I think it is just a case of individuel hair folocles being damaged. If people hit their heads they sometimes end up with grey patches over the place of inpact because bloodflow to that part of the scalp has been adversely effected by the scarring.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
My stepmom noticed a few on my head this fall - my eyebrows are light. It's hard to tell if it's grey or bleached blond. I say it is the latter, of course .

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Permanently Banned

Location: East Coast. Occasionally I may be located at an anime convention.
I had the most stressful semester this fall and I grew some grey hairs in some of my front strands. So yeah stress can definitely play a role.

I've also heard of people who have been through traumatic events and had their hair turn white as a result.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Anx-Free 2 months

Dude you should start a new trend by dying your hair a specific color. I always thought people unique hair colors were interesting. Maybe all white/gray/silver sounds cool. Then again i am a fan of anime lol.

I wish people would stop trying to label my glass and just fill the other half up...
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Burnt-on cheese

I have no idea what does that. I tend to doubt if it's seriuious or even that uncommon though.

My ex-boyfriend had black hair but I noticed some silver ones. He was 32

And I know baldness is a different thing, but my dad went bald as a teenager.
Oh and then there's the opposite thing. He is 68 but most of the hair he has is still black

So I think it's a variable thing among people and actually grey or white hair can be quite beautiful
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:32 PM
subtastic

I have a few. I noticed them when I started parting my hair differently.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 PM
SAS Member

As a hairdresser, I see premature grey on people all the time. I have seen it on children as well. It is definately genetic and stress has nothing to do with it, just to answer your question. I think it gives you character. Your a guy, so yes you will get away with it. I wouldn't dye your hair though, its not necessary. If you have just a couple and it really really bothers you, run a wand of mascara over them if your hair is short. No one will ever know.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page