People smiling... - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:25 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raies View Post
So I would think this is actually relatively common here, but it has brought me quite a bit of anxiety over time.
Whenever I'm outside (not home), and someone looks at me (or doesn't even have to look at me, tbh) and smiles, I start feeling anxious (laughing at me?)

So do you others get anxious over this, or is it less common than I've thought... Also, do you know what you can do to work on this..?
As it feels like it's one of the main things causing me anxiety...

(Idk if this is the right place to put this, but w/e)
Yep. Same here. I interpret most people's smiles as fake and cheesy for some reason (probably low self esteem + paranoid); even belittling in manner. It sickens me so much; and they're not much better than the RBFs you accidentally glance upon as well (which to me, is scary as ****!). Ideally, true neutral + open faces are the most calming, but it appears that most people don't have this.

Idk. I might be garbage at interpreting nonverbal cues / expressions or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:33 PM
SAS Member

Every body asks me ' are you alright ' in such conditions... I feel hell during those moments.... I cant even watch the lecturer during classes....It held my career 3 years back.....
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:36 PM
I'm somewhat trash.

Language: American English
My Mood: Bored
Well I heard a quote once and it really affected me, it went along the lines of this.

'you must really think the world revolves around you if you take every look, chuckle or sigh as being caused by you.'

I thought about it for a while and realized that I tend to be critical of my self due to my situation, and most likely I'm projecting that on to others.
Yes there are people that probably judge me, but not everything is about me and I can take some solace in that.

So, I used to but not now, but then again it doesn't change much I tend to get anxious around to any person I don't know personally.

"
Touch every county, let yourself be land.
Open all the inches to help you understand.
Never try to justify a listless sense of longing
With any sort of weakness,

Just play this song and go to Tixis.
"

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:37 PM
SAS Member

I begin to smile weirdly such that i can see the reaction on his/ her face....It is hell... When the lecturer is " she "..The students turn around and look at me...Like i have been eye teasing.....due to this i was absent for 2/3 of the year at college
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Pink Soul of Light

Language: English, Elvish
My Mood: Angelic
I still smile, even when anxiety is heightened..

Jed Silvershade... The Pink Flame of Light
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:06 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raies View Post
So I would think this is actually relatively common here, but it has brought me quite a bit of anxiety over time.
Whenever I'm outside (not home), and someone looks at me (or doesn't even have to look at me, tbh) and smiles, I start feeling anxious (laughing at me?)

So do you others get anxious over this, or is it less common than I've thought... Also, do you know what you can do to work on this..?
As it feels like it's one of the main things causing me anxiety...

(Idk if this is the right place to put this, but w/e)
Theres only one person that can smile at me and not make me anxious... I'm pretty sure people are not laughing at you? I am trying to act like they do and laugh too. Take more space?
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:20 PM
SAS Member

Actually its not a thing that can be controlled in my case.... I have consulted with a psychiatrist but it didnt workout.. I also jad antidepressants tablets but they had other disadvantages
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 PM
Inactive user

I find it pleasant. When people coincide in smiling and look each other accidentally the feel mostly it's nice, maybe I'm not explaining it well, but there are papers written about this.

Secretive signature.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:15 PM
King of Carrot Flowers

My Mood: Fine
I actually find it comforting when people smile at me in public. That way I know they don't feel threatened by me or aren't disgusted with me. I can't help but smile right back at them!

May the wind be always at your back.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:02 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Lonely
I usually feel relieved when people smile at me. It's only when I hear someone laughing nearby (especially if they're in a group) that I start to get especially self-conscious. I would even prefer a pity smile over laughter.

Everybody wants to go to heaven
But nobody wants to die
I can't fear death, no longer
I've died a thousand times
Why explore the universe
When we don't know ourselves?
There's an emptiness inside our heads
That no one dares to dwell
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:56 AM
SAS Member

My mind won't accept that people are positive towards me when they smile.....I can't help myself..I begin to get over conscious about it and i struck in fear... It happens all the day whenever i get to see people even a single person..
I'm pretty sure that i smirk or put on a face that makes my expression weird.......People also try to avoid me....Specially for parties.....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page