Panic attacks that mimic temporal lobe epilespy? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking

Panic attacks that mimic temporal lobe epilespy?

Hi,

I don't really know how many people experience what I'm experiencing, but it would put me in a world of relief to know if there is anyone out there who has panic attacks that mimic temporal lobe epilepsy. So I get almost all the symptoms of temporal lobe epilepsy (deja vu, staring spells, feeling of intense fear, strange odor, rising sensation in the chest). It was really bad one week and I felt like I was going to have a seizure at one point (started to have a metallic taste in mouth) ((scarily enough, the night before this metallic taste, I had a dream that a doctor told me to watch out for a metallic taste in my mouth). I started taking Ativan at night and this helped ease the sensations and let me fall asleep.

So I went to see a neurologist and had a video EEG, but they said they found nothing wrong with me, even though I reported having strange smells and deja vu experiences throughout. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, could I be having panic attacks that mimic temporal lobe epilepsy? I also used to have internal shaking in my body and strange breathing noises in my ears, which seemed to correlate with the panic attack episodes.

**MOST IMPORTANTLY, if anyone has these panic attacks that mimic temporal lobe epilepsy, what medications do you take and find the most helpful? I really want the rising feeling in my chest to go away as it gets worse and worse and it feels like I'm dying and I need relief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 03:13 AM
SAS Member

I do not have these but my significant other has temporal lobe seizures, although has not been tested for them yet due to insurance issues but a doctor has said that is most likely what they are. It is possible that maybe your doctor did not catch it the first time but whenever you have these spells try to go to the doctor asap (urgent care or same-day appointment).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page