"OCD Project" reality show - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

"OCD Project" reality show

"OCD Project" is a new VH1 reality show. Similar to "Obsessed", it follows people who have various obsessions and rituals. Six people move into a mansion together and work with a doctor to try and rid themselves of their compulsions. It airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. EST and the premiere episode will be re-airing several times between now and then. It's pretty interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 02:29 PM
SAS Member

It looks very intense. Thanks for letting us know.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 02:56 PM
SAS Member

I don't think I would like a show like this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 03:45 PM
SAS Member

Im sorry but that doesnt sound appealing, using disorders for entertainment?

"reality tv" no thanks

If its on VH1, its probably not focused on "treating" the disorder.... more like "showcasing it".. an animal in a zoo comes to mind, sry if that came of as negative
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Is anybody watching this show? It's pretty scary and the way some of the people describe their compulsions gets me nervous sometimes because I have OCD tendencies, although not as severe as them. "Mystikhybrid" -- the show is indeed focused solely on treating their problems. The doctor is pretty effective. Actually, he's getting pretty radical right out of the gate, requiring them to stop their rituals cold turkey by a certain time. I don't know how some of them will be able to handle it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:46 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

I watch this every Thursday, It's really intresting. I don't think they're using peoples disorders as entertainment..It's just kinda like a guide for people who do have similar disorders. It shows people that you can overcome OCD and not let it affect your life.

@IcedOver- yeah it is pretty scary how OCD really affects these peoples lives..I didn't think much of it until I started watching it.
Theres a girl on the show that kinda has something similar to me, but mine isnt no where as extreme as these people.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:49 PM

Any one watch yesterdays show?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Daydreaming

Ive been watching it, I find it interesting and sad. I can relate a little bit to them, but like some said, not that extreme. I thought the part about putting food on a toilet was crazy!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:45 PM
In 'da 707

I've seen one episode. Was pretty interesting. I hope stuff like this will help to lessen stigma and increase understanding.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelynn View Post
I thought the part about putting food on a toilet was crazy!
Yeah, that was a bit extreme. I can't believe they actually ate it!

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:22 PM

Yeah I didn't think that whole eating food out of a toilet was ok..im not OCD..but I'd never do that. I guess they have to go to extremes to heal these people.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Tom
SAS Member

I hate all reality TV. After just watching the first episode, I can say that I WILL be watching this show! Not for entertainment, but as something that I can relate to. I am curious to see how the blonde girl (Kristen) turns out with her situation. Also, the 35 year old guy (Kevin, I think) really does look like Aaron Eckhart.

All I can say is that my life is pretty plain,
I like watching the puddles gather rain.
And all I can do is just pour some tea for two,
And speak my point of view,
But it's not sane, it's not sane.

- Blind Melon
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Yes, I immediately thought Kevin looked like Aaron Eckhart. I haven't yet caught the last episode. I'm also curious about Kristen because she seems to be suffering so much; I feel so bad for her with her sad face and her skin that's been ruined and rubbed raw. Cody, the young guy, seems to really be trying hard. When he was doing his personal journal, he was really resisting the urge to rub his nose, which is great.

If you like this show, you might also want to watch "Obsessed" and "Hoarders" on A&E. Both are pretty much the same as this without the mansion stay.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 PM
SAS Member

A kindly warning to OCD sufferers: this show is triggering. Now you must watch it, of course.

The toilet-eating is probably the most effective shock video I have seen since 2001. Herr Freud's field day. It certainly triggers our social obsession with cleanliness. If you think about it, a toilet bowl freshly scrubbed with bleach-laden Lysol Cleaner is way more sterile than a plate from the cupboard.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

After watching the most recent episode, I don't feel that Kristen will be successful in the treatment. She's unwilling to put in the work necessary. The doctor was right to be harsh with her. She came to get treatment and this is the treatment he's giving, so she can either get with the program or get out. It's sad.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:22 PM
SAS Member

I struggle with OCD myself...the "counting" kind. On one hand, I can understand where people would think that it is profiting from others' illness, but I do think it's good in that it really shows true OCD. I think that the term OCD is used too loosely in society. For example, people that are extremely organized or clean are labeled as having OCD by friends and family members. OCD goes much further than that. So I hope that people will take a look at this and understand exactly how debilitating OCD can be. Rituals take over your life, and you lose all enjoyment of activities because you're so focused on your compulsions.

I think it is done in a professional and tasteful way, and is along the same lines as "Intervention". I see no problem with it.

Kaley

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."

www.anxiouskaley.com Offering experience and hope to myself and others with anxiety
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 PM
stillborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedOver View Post
"OCD Project" is a new VH1 reality show. Similar to "Obsessed", it follows people who have various obsessions and rituals. Six people move into a mansion together and work with a doctor to try and rid themselves of their compulsions.
The entertainment industry is faring well on their mission to exploit every known psychological illness. It's just dehumanizing in my humble opinion.

what cannot be said will be wept
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do you even watch the show? If you did, you'd find that it's not exploiting the illness but is instead centered on helping and raising awareness of it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page