OCD-ish thinking - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

OCD-ish thinking

Hi,
I have a strange thing happening to me that impacts my leisure time
I have an OCD-like urge to remember a lot of information in my mind, for example if i read a book or watch a movie i try to memorize as much info from them as possible, and if i forget details after finishing a book or movie, i beat myself up if i canít recall as many things as i could from them
This anxiety makes me wanna read or watch again said book/movie because i worry always that i didnít fully understand them
This makes a relaxing time feel like a chore, because i donít treat them like experiences and move on, i ruminate over the fact that i am not good enough if i donít remember a lot from books/ plots from movies
Any thoughts on breaking this cycle and being able to be in the moment and then move on?
(i need to break this nasty cycle because i don't want to watch Batman v Superman and worry about it so pleasd help )

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 12:38 AM
Greenmail

No one actually cares if you have memorized them. All you need to do if someone asks is to look it up on your phone and it will remind you of what happened. Thats is how memory recollection works.

Team DOG
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 01:17 AM
SAS Member

i can't give you any tips but i also have a similar problem watching movies/tv shows. and for me it's always reallyy important to thoroughly understand something *sigh*

It wasnít my day. My week. My month. My year. My life. God damn it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 09:50 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
It similar for me! Whenever I don't understand a word in a movie or a show I instantly look it up in a dictionary so I know exactly what that character meant. And if I don't understand fully what has happened in a scene I think about that scene for the rest of the movie and it is making it so hard to concentrate on enjoying the rest of the movie! I also often look up "<movie title> explained" on youtube after I've finished watching and I've found that helps a lot! Hope it helps you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisiblehandicap View Post
No one actually cares if you have memorized them. All you need to do if someone asks is to look it up on your phone and it will remind you of what happened. Thats is how memory recollection works.
I think that isn't the main problem here. I think the fact that op feels the urge to remember as much as possible without wanting to is the issue. That's how it is with me but Mark might feel different about it so tell me if I am wrong!

Let positivity flow into your life!

My social anxiety blog > http://www.realanxiety.com/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Yeah that's the idea
Like i struggle to watch a movie with as little pauses as possible to not break the immersion or fall in that cycle and rethinking scenes in my head

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page