ocd/intrusive thoughts - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-10-2021, 01:47 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Dead
does anyone else also hear voices and see things ? they coment on my thoughts as well well the bad ones do the good ones are supportive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-2021, 08:50 PM
Hey, Hello, Bye

My Mood: Worried
I don't want to self-diagnose myself but I'm pretty sure I have OCD and have had it for years now. I am too scared to see a Doctor. I have many of the symptoms. I wash my hands excessively (Even before Covid). I am constantly repeating words in my head, like all day. I have to count things a lot, and then re-count them. Checking is also a bad habit, I am never satisfied that everything is fine and I didn't forget to do something.

I also have intrusive thoughts constantly. My mind shifts between the intrusive thoughts and me trying to neutralise them with positive ones.

Listening to music, whilst sipping a cup of tea in my cave.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 05:55 AM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLight94 View Post
#1 My fear of outbursts, Mouthing & saying curse words such as F**k, S***t, a***h*le in public or making fun of ppl loudly. It's a massive fear as that is the direct OPPOSITE thing I want to do ... I know its sounds so crazy & odd
It doesn't sound crazy to someone with OCD. I have had urges to shout things in public, but it's not something I usually experience. OCD obsessions are usually about the "direct opposite" of what we want to do. That's what makes intrusive thoughts/urges distressing. I have violent thoughts/urges and I'm horrified by violence. That's just sort of how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~UnDead~ View Post
does anyone else also hear voices and see things ? they coment on my thoughts as well well the bad ones do the good ones are supportive
Hearing voices is usually associated with schizophrenia, not OCD. But OCD is sometimes accompanied by psychosis, so just about anything is possible. I've never heard voices, but I have heard (and smelled) other things.

I can only link to the abstract, but

Quote:
Mounting evidence suggests that obsessive intrusions are often accompanied and amplified by perceptual experiences of different modalities (e.g., feeling dirt on one's skin while experiencing intrusive thoughts about contamination). Pilot studies conducted online with individuals endorsing mild obsessive–compulsive symptoms have linked the co‐occurrence of perceptual experiences and obsessions to the severity of subsequent compulsive behaviour as well as low insight. However, it is presently unclear whether sensory experiences accompany all types of obsessional thoughts or are restricted to certain preoccupations (e.g., contamination and aggression).
The study mentions auditory components of intrusive thoughts (ie. hearing a voice inside your head when you have the thought, which is actually normal for me) but doesn't mention hallucinated voices (hearing the voice as coming from outside of your head). Most of my perceptual experiences are somatic in nature (feeling my muscles respond to my thoughts, or feeling pain/throbbing/tingling/etc. if my health OCD is acting up) but I also have very vivid visual elements (like if I look at a balcony, I will "see" in my mind someone falling off). Sometimes I think I see or hear things IRL, but aside from one I'm not sure about, they don't quite reach the point of being true hallucinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Sucks View Post
I don't want to self-diagnose myself but I'm pretty sure I have OCD and have had it for years now. I am too scared to see a Doctor. I have many of the symptoms. I wash my hands excessively (Even before Covid). I am constantly repeating words in my head, like all day. I have to count things a lot, and then re-count them. Checking is also a bad habit, I am never satisfied that everything is fine and I didn't forget to do something.

I also have intrusive thoughts constantly. My mind shifts between the intrusive thoughts and me trying to neutralise them with positive ones.
Generally speaking, you want to deal with these kinds of problems sooner rather than later because they have a tendency to get worse over time. I understand being afraid of sharing this kind of stuff with other people, though. If people knew the kinds of thoughts/urges I get, they'd call the police.

I've been watching videos by this woman lately. She's delightfully kooky. She talks mostly about "pure O" OCD, but it's relevant to other kinds (contamination, etc.).

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 07:01 AM
Hey, Hello, Bye

My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Generally speaking, you want to deal with these kinds of problems sooner rather than later because they have a tendency to get worse over time. I understand being afraid of sharing this kind of stuff with other people, though. If people knew the kinds of thoughts/urges I get, they'd call the police.

I've been watching videos by this woman lately. She's delightfully kooky. She talks mostly about "pure O" OCD, but it's relevant to other kinds (contamination, etc.).

You are definitely not wrong there. It has been awful the past couple of years. The Pandemic has amplified it all. At first, it was manageable, but now it is everyday.

You are not the only one that gets really scary thoughts/urges. Everyone gets intrusive thoughts, which did help to hear, but I feel like mine are on the more extreme scale sometimes. I hate myself for thinking some things and have to neutralise them.

Listening to music, whilst sipping a cup of tea in my cave.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 01:14 PM
SAS Member

Language: Portuguese and English
My OCD has gotten pretty bad recently. Specially with cleaning. I have to spray alcohol in everything around my place, at least the places where I feel like they are dirty or contaminated with this coronavirus thing. Also, everytime I go for a drive and buy stuff like groceries or fast food, I have to spray alcohol all over these things too... A while back, I had the same problem with cleaning OCD, but I used to use bleach a lot. Now it's alcohol. LOL. I guess I am stuck at the same place once again... ;(

Also, everytime I have these cleaning episodes, afterwards I just feel exhausted mentally and physically. And I don't see a way to stop with this... Sadly I can't go to any doctors or take any pills because money's short here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page