ocd/intrusive thoughts - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

ocd/intrusive thoughts

Anyone else here suffer from ocd/intrusive thoughts?

Mine has been really bad lately, to the point where I feel like jumping through a window to make it stop lol. :c Just really awful thoughts that I don't want and they won't go away no matter what I do.

So much is triggering it when I try to keep away.

see, i'm real...if you want me to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 01:14 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnormal Thought Patterns View Post
Anyone else here suffer from ocd/intrusive thoughts?

Mine has been really bad lately, to the point where I feel like jumping through a window to make it stop lol. :c Just really awful thoughts that I don't want and they won't go away no matter what I do.

So much is triggering it when I try to keep away.

I know this feeling. And honestly i deal with it by giving it attention and then rationalizing it. Trying to bury it deep down only makes it worse:/... for instance if i felt like i didnt put my car in park or something. Id allow the thought to come forward but then id instantly say, but if i didnt put my car in park id feel it move, or my keys wouldn’t have came out the ignition. Or my car wouldnt have beeped when i locked it with the remote. Therefore my car is parked and i know I’m alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 11:39 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Dead
yea i do about hurting other people , going places on my own , i cant do that at all my partner has to come with me everywhere

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 08:05 AM
SAS Member

I've been having this thing where for the past few months, I keep thinking about going over a balcony. I know the room because I've stayed in it before and when I lie down at night sometimes I just keep thinking about it. Over and over and it won't stop, like I have to grip the bed sometimes just to remind myself I'm safe. I can feel it and I can see it. Whenever I stay at hotels, I struggle to be on the balcony and it's not because of the height, I just keep getting this urge to go over.

So come rain on my parade
'Cause I want to feel it
Come shove me over the edge
'Cause my head is in overdrive
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 12:29 PM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
The important thing to understand is...

Everyone has intrusive thoughts. Often about ****ed up ****. You just don't see it, because they don't talk about it. It's absolutely 100% normal. Intrusive thoughts are literally how our brains function. They have nothing to do with responsibility.

What people without OCD don't have, is the (either genetic, or environmental, or both) predisposition to be particularly bothered by the thoughts.

ERP (CBT) is the best treatment, try to get this (I am currently trying for to access). But until then, or failing that:

1. Don't make it worse. Don't fight the thoughts, you can't. Don't perform actions to make you more safe (it will make things worse).
2. Accept this is an artefact of the way all brains work. Don't go heaping shame or guilt on yourself, where its possible to avoid it.
3. Try acceptance and commitment therapy. Try the leaves on a stream meditation (my favourite for all things cognitive). Do this daily for 10 mins. Its worth a try.

Be kind to yourselves, above all else. I understand the ****ing misery this can cause, am sorry you all struggle with it. It's not your faults.

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 06:20 PM
UnDeRrAtED

Language: SPanish and English fluently
the truth of the matter is ocd or intrusive thoughts are meaningless unless you give it power and meaning. but of course thoughts that stem from ocd or rumination are often different causes for distress significant or not though i can relate. Ive had ocd like thoughts repetitive enough to form paranoia and concern. Thing is if you care what theyre like that is key. knowing you care about yourself and those around you. Otherwise people probably would think you should be locked up and thats just ocd talking.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 03:41 AM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
I've been there. OCD is hell.

I use Schwartz's Four Steps to manage mine. It took me several months to get them under control, and they still bother me from time to time, but you can do something about them.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 08:17 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascades View Post
I've been having this thing where for the past few months, I keep thinking about going over a balcony. I know the room because I've stayed in it before and when I lie down at night sometimes I just keep thinking about it. Over and over and it won't stop, like I have to grip the bed sometimes just to remind myself I'm safe. I can feel it and I can see it. Whenever I stay at hotels, I struggle to be on the balcony and it's not because of the height, I just keep getting this urge to go over.
I have the exact same thing. It's why I never go on balconies. It gets to the point of nearly inducing a panic attack if I don't snap myself out of it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 03:00 PM
SAS Member

I get intrusive thoughts. They come out of nowhere, seemingly and I don't want them yet they're there. It tortures me sometimes, but I recognize I'm not my thoughts. I also use Klonopin, CBD oil and hemp. I can't drink because I'm on probation and a lot of meds

Late Bloomer or Dead Man, idk
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 05:32 PM
SAS Member

I have OCD as well. intrusive thoughts rule my life sometimes. Rationalizing through them is the "compulsion" aspect.
They're horrid. I despise them. The more i worry about them though, the worse they get.
Someone else said the same thing I learned awhile ago. They mean nothing, everyone gets them.
Guess the trick is to recognize its a thought and then move on.
Sorry you get them. they suck!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
I've been there. OCD is hell.

I use Schwartz's Four Steps to manage mine. It took me several months to get them under control, and they still bother me from time to time, but you can do something about them.
hi, sorry i took so long to reply. ^-^'

thank you for link. i'll look more into this and see how it goes. i've heard you have to stay with the thought that's bothering you and try to accept the thought, but that is so terrifying to me lol. >.<

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 03:14 PM
Royally F***ed

Quote:
hi, sorry i took so long to reply. ^-^'

thank you for link. i'll look more into this and see how it goes. i've heard you have to stay with the thought that's bothering you and try to accept the thought, but that is so terrifying to me lol. >.<
It's best to dismiss the thought as irrelevant static. The point is to neither believe the thought, nor fear it, but note it, dismiss it as irrelevant, and turn your attention to something else. The thought gains its strength from the emotional charge that you give it. The less attention you pay to the thought, the sooner it fades.

These thoughts are basically waking nightmares. Like dreams, they have no objective reality. You may dream about something terrible happening, but nothing terrible is actually happening. Intrusive thoughts are the same. You have a waking dream that something terrible is going to happen, but nothing terrible is actually going to happen. But like dreams, they can feel very real. When I was dealing with my own thoughts when I was first learning this stuff, I would say, "Oh, I'm sleeping again," whenever I had the thought.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
It's best to dismiss the thought as irrelevant static. The point is to neither believe the thought, nor fear it, but note it, dismiss it as irrelevant, and turn your attention to something else. The thought gains its strength from the emotional charge that you give it. The less attention you pay to the thought, the sooner it fades.

These thoughts are4 basically waking nightmares. Like dreams, they have no objective reality. You may dream about something terrible happening, but nothing terrible is actually happening. Intrusive thoughts are the same. You have a waking dream that something terrible is going to happen, but nothing terrible is actually going to happen. But like dreams, they can feel very real. When I was dealing with my own thoughts when I was first learning this stuff, I would say, "Oh, I'm sleeping again," whenever I had the thought.
yep, that's exactly what i heard. it's been really difficult to program my brain to practice doing so because it seems like i can never let myself perform therapeutic techniques like that. same with mindfulness or meditation or breathing exercises. it's like no matter how much i try to get into the right mindset and let things happen, i become too self aware and then can't accept what i'm doing, idk. i get close to dismisisng the thought and accepting it; then my brain tells me that i shouldn't accept it or something will happen. it's soo annoying. i should keep trying tho for sure, hopefully i will make a breathrough sooner than later.

also, i saw your signature and you seem to be a person of culture.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 07:19 PM
Royally F***ed

Quote:
also, i saw your signature and you seem to be a person of culture.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 02:15 PM
SOS Member

My Mood: Scared
I check my bedroom door over and over again. And every night I have to do my rituals - checking doors and windows are properly locked, gas stove is turned off, my pc is properly sshutted down and making sure no water leakage from pipes - over and over again.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 02:47 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim11 View Post
I check my bedroom door over and over again. And every night I have to do my rituals - checking doors and windows are properly locked, gas stove is turned off, my pc is properly sshutted down and making sure no water leakage from pipes - over and over again.
Doesn't your PC have sleep mode? I never shut mine down unless I'm going out.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 03:43 AM
SOS Member

My Mood: Scared
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Doesn't your PC have sleep mode? I never shut mine down unless I'm going out.
It has a sleep mode but I never use it. Funny, I feel safer if I shut it down. I'm weird that way.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page