OCD/Autism question. (A bit long) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

OCD/Autism question. (A bit long)

I don't want to be thought of as somebody who's constantly looking for things that are wrong with them, but I've got some serious questions about the way I behave, which I have tried my best to ignore; but which may in truth be causes of SA.

As, I just mentioned in another thread, when I was a kid I was always avoiding people (I still am obviously), but I also but also I used to have some weird behavioural traits, some of which I still have.

I remember sometimes walking around the playground at school by myself, twitching my hand. I remember teachers looking at me funny because of it. Also the teachers used to wanted to send me to a speech therapist. I hated loud noise (still do).

And then there was the obsessions; I used to scrub my hands with soap until the skin bled. I used to imagine there was some kind of slime on me that I had to keep scraping off. I had to keep opening and shutting the car door to make sure I hadn't trapped the cat's tail or something.

Most of the physical obsessions and rituals have now gone, but now I have mental ones. As I said in another post, I am obsessed by peoples ages, and I have to keep thinking about ages and dates of birth whenever I watch a film for instance. I can't feel any kind of mental calm until I've finished thinking about it. I get odd thoughts about my bones breaking that sometimes I struggle to get rid of. I have to do some kind of weird prayer thing before I climb into bed, even though I'm not religious.

I was just wondering if anyone else recognises these traits, or if anyone else personally has them. I fear it may be some kind of Autism? Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
It sounds a bit like autism and OCD to me, but I would seek out a psychologist/psychiatrist for a proper diagnosis. The loud noises and scrubbing your hands could be sensory related, but if you don't have other sensory issues (see my siggy for link to checklist) it's probably not SPD.

I like patterns, especially with numbers. I like when my car's odometer "rolls" to a cool number, like 88,888 or 12,345 or 2,468 etc. I had a therapist tell me I had OCD thoughts but I've had other people with SPD tell me they have the same thoughts so it might not be OCD: I sometimes have quicks visions of awful things happening, like losing control of my car and going off a bridge into the water or falling down the stairs while carrying my son.

Moms and Dads group at SAS:
Moms and Dads
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Your Assumptions

It's the overall picture that determines a diagnosis. Various isolated traits aren't very specific to any disorder because there's a lot of overlap - there's not enough here to go on. Once a clinician has enough of the pieces that fit a diagnosis they make one. Most people don't meet all criteria and don't have to. The diagnostic line varies between instruments and clinicians, confusing matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lly View Post
I remember sometimes walking around the playground at school by myself, twitching my hand. I remember teachers looking at me funny because of it. Also the teachers used to wanted to send me to a speech therapist. I hated loud noise (still do).
That could be stimming - one of the autism criteria. In high functioning people it's claimed they mostly outgrow it or never had it. It's not exclusive to autism though. Similar with the speech issues and noise sensitivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lly View Post
And then there was the obsessions; I used to scrub my hands with soap until the skin bled. I used to imagine there was some kind of slime on me that I had to keep scraping off. I had to keep opening and shutting the car door to make sure I hadn't trapped the cat's tail or something.

Most of the physical obsessions and rituals have now gone, but now I have mental ones. As I said in another post, I am obsessed by peoples ages, and I have to keep thinking about ages and dates of birth whenever I watch a film for instance. I can't feel any kind of mental calm until I've finished thinking about it. I get odd thoughts about my bones breaking that sometimes I struggle to get rid of. I have to do some kind of weird prayer thing before I climb into bed, even though I'm not religious.
Those look like OCD type obsessions and rituals more than autism ones. Autism and OCD overlap and are often comorbid.

Autism obsessions usually revolve around a special interest. The more circumscribed and unusual, the more it appears consistent with autism.

It's best to look at the core autism criterion which is the deficit in social and emotional reciprocity. It's a complicated matter though. As it's a spectrum it'll vary much between people with the same diagnosis and manifest differently in higher functioning individuals.

You can also not meet the diagnosis but be far enough along the spectrum it causes you problems that should be taken into account.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd_one_out View Post

You can also not meet the diagnosis but be far enough along the spectrum it causes you problems that should be taken into account.
I don't intend for it to be taken into account. I've already indicated in another thread that I'm seeking help for SA by going to a doctor, arranging counselling sessions and generally trying to tell few people about it. That's enough for me lol.

Asking about this is more just curiosity.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page