Obsessing about the afterlife? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
User Requested Permanent Ban

Obsessing about the afterlife?

Does anyone else do this? Could it be OCD? The strange thing is, I'm an agnostic, but I've been obsessively thinking about scientific explanations for an afterlife and now I can't stop, it's driving me nuts. I went to see Avatar this afternoon and couldn't even concentrate. It's really taken over my mind. I wonder if it's a real problem or maybe I just have to much time on my hands, but I'm finding it impossible to focus on anything else now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:48 PM
SAS Member

heh more like lookin forward it, im agnostic too, but it doesnt mean you dont believe in an afterlife

just take some solace in knowing your going the same place a lot of people u like have gone too i guess
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:51 PM
SAS Member

It sounds like it could be ocd related.

I ponder this thought too from time to time. Like what am I here for, what's my purpose, is this all leading up to something?

I guess only time will tell... "Way of the future".

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:05 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Blah
You beat me to the punch, I'd been thinking about starting a thread aimed at atheists asking what they think happens after death besides decomposition.

Anyways, I have had some recurring disturbing revolving scary(not scary as in gory) thoughts about creation and death and stuff, and I am scared of it, and I think about it, but I wouldn't say I do it as obsessively as you do.

The reason I do it I guess is cuz I'm afraid of death..........But while I was watching Saw a while ago, I think the way to get over this fear of death, to get over this obsession with what happens after death is by following Amanda's advice which was:

"The cure for death itself. The answer is immortality. By creating a legacy, by living a life worth remembering, you become immortal."

Us SA'ers don't exactly live life to it's fullest potential so we obsess with death because we're afraid to die having lived only a mediocre life.

Anyways, if you find any scientific explanations for what happens after death please post them here cuz I'm interested in that too. I don't believe in God, I don't believe in heaven, I don't believe in angels, but I do believe in psychics, in ghosts, maybe in reincarnation, I don't know, I havn't really done research in that.........

Also, there's something that sticks out in my mind that I've seen on some of the ghost specials or whatver I've seen on tv-See, I heard once that psychics or whatver can sense things when they're in a room because the body leaves behind electrical signals or electrical something long after they've left a a place......So I feel like after death, maybe we don't just decompose, maybe we become "energy" and that's what psychics sense as ghosts???? Maybe we live on another plane of existence, not some mystical heavenly plane, but a plane that can be explained scientifically.......Because like I said, I do believe in ghosts, yet I don't think that's connected to God or anything cuz I'm an atheist.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Permanently Banned

umm... to paraphrase Woody Allen, I don't want to live forever through my work, I want to live forever by not dying...

nobody knows what happens (I didn't read the thread)... why fixate on it? Focus on living your life... however you want.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:12 PM
chubby 11 year old girl

I think about this a lot too. I'm not afraid of being dead though because if there is an afterlife, great, but if this is it and we just turn to dirt (which is what I think is more likely) I'll be nonexistant, so I won't care anyway. It does make loved ones dying much harder to deal with though.

I obsess more about how I will die. That freaks me out a lot more because there are so many horrible ways to go.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
your going the same place a lot of people u like have gone too i guess
Oh ****
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:45 PM
:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitrock View Post
The reason I do it I guess is cuz I'm afraid of death..........But while I was watching Saw a while ago, I think the way to get over this fear of death, to get over this obsession with what happens after death is by following Amanda's advice which was:

"The cure for death itself. The answer is immortality. By creating a legacy, by living a life worth remembering, you become immortal."

Us SA'ers don't exactly live life to it's fullest potential so we obsess with death because we're afraid to die having lived only a mediocre life.
Agreed.

I've been thinking a lot about this as well. I'm an atheist too. I don't believe in the afterlife, I don't believe in souls or ghosts. The only part of you that can 'live on' after death is your name and your legacy. If you've achieved something in your life worth remembering - people will remember you, tell the grandkids stories about you etc.

But I haven't accomplished anything in my life. I haven't left any impression on anyone. That and I haven't lived. I can't say that I've had a happy, good life, because I haven't.

I go back and forth between fearing death because I haven't done anything worth being proud of and because I've never been truly happy with my life. and then to thoughts of accepting/wanting death (and ceasing to exist) because I think "it can't be any worse than what I've been doing with myself every day, nothing. And besides it doesn't matter if anyone cares about you after you've died. You wouldn't care or even know about it because you're dead."

but more importantly, I fear the physical pain that comes with death and I can only hope I get a painless death.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Well I've been reading a lot about near death experiences and the subjective perception of time flow, and I think it's totally possible that upon death your mind creates either a "heaven" or "hell" based on your own sense of worth, your motivating factor in life, and your expectations. Since your consciousness can't conceive the possibility of not existing, your perception of time is shifted so that you remain in this state of mind for what you perceive to be eternity.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Permanently Banned

Does sound like OCD. I can't concentrate on other stuff either when I'm obsessing over something.

I never worry about an afterlife. I assume we cease to exist upon death, just as we didn't exist before conception. I figure it's logically impossible to worry about non-existence. If you don't exist, it's not like you'll be there to worry about it. If you take that view, then I guess the only thing one could worry about with regard to life ending is the potential discomfort of the dying process and that being dead rules out the potential for ever doing anything that's left on your to-do list.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:04 PM
huh
SAS Member

Sometimes I think about it, but not obsessively. I'm worried about how I'll die rather than what happens after I die. I just hope it's quick/painless rather than prolonged and agonizing.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:46 PM
HTF
SAS Member

I love reading about the afterlife, love paranormal, and have personally found some good evidence that there is one.
I used to think about it alot, and how i would go.

“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”- Charles Manson
youtube.com/htf111 (concert videos ive taken)
----
FaceBook (feel free to add me) u can talk about anxiety on my wall, i don't mind
----
Associated Content (my writing)
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 08:20 PM
ISFJ

Language: English
My Mood: Fine
I get obsessed about wanting to know... I've read many books, always looking for answers... I want to know so badly, and at one point I thought suicide would be my answer. I didn't understand why I was in such a state of mind, but even today I'm extremely curious about the afterlife... I'd love to get into paranormal research, as I'm extremely intuitive, thus have the ability to become psychic.

“You Learn More From Failure Than From Success. Don’t Let It Stop You. Failure Builds Character.” – Unknown
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Permanently Blessed

I think about it frequently. It is not OCD. I don't think people ponder their mortality enough. Death is too much of a taboo in our society. We really need to ask ourselves what happens after we die. I am fascinated by the Near Death Experience account. I have read several books, and I can't get enough of it.

http://anxiousradiocat.blogspot.com/

Chronicling my SA, and thoughts of the deep issues of life.

Back in the high life again.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:16 PM
SAS Master

I'm agnostic. Sometimes I think about it and it really scares me to think if reincarnation happened. If you kept getting reincarnated into different lives you'd eventually end up with a really ****ty life where you get Ebola or something. Of course, you would eventually land on a really sweet life, like being Tiger Woods.

Mostly I don't think too much about it though and just hope that death is the actual end to life. I don't understand why people want to believe in an afterlife. So it is probably more of your OCD that's keeping you thinking about it.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:02 AM
The Tragic Princess

If I didn't believe in an afterlife, I'd have no problem doing what cannot be talked about on this forum. This life isn't worth it to me and the whole leaving a legacy thing does not appeal to me. I don't care what people think about me when I die, I want life now and if we cease to exist it won't matter anyways, neither will anything else I do here. Since I'm having such a sucky life, the only thing keeping me going is my belief.
To OP: I don't think you have OCD, I think you're human. We all think about these things. On a side note, is Avatar any good?

"I feel like a helpless puppet being manipulated in some major scheme."~ Squall Leonhart

"Sometimes a person has to be loved before they can become lovable."~Ravi Zacharias

"As we have gotten more open-minded, we have become more closed-hearted."

My avatar is my art...www.myspace.com/illlaymedown
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:24 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
I wouldn't mind an afterlife as long as I don't have sa during it.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 03:54 AM
SAS Member

Remember what it was like before your were born? Well, that's likely what it will be like after you die. You didn't always exist in the past, so there is no logical reason to assume you will always do so in the future.

At least, I hope that is the case. It would be terrible if people were forced to exist forever no matter what. I've only been here twenty-three years and I'm already tired of it.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitrock View Post

Thats a good point, I guess it's important to live life to the fullest, even though for us SAers generally we usually don't live life to our full potential unfortunately
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illlaymedown View Post
If I didn't believe in an afterlife, I'd have no problem doing what cannot be talked about on this forum.
Me neither, but I wouldn't do it immediately. I'd like to have a little bit of fun first. I wish I knew for certain there was no afterlife, that would be so liberating. I think it would actually give me more of a reason to live.

And Avatar was awesome, you should check it out, especially if the 3d version is playing anywhere near you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page