NVLD & Asperger's Syndrome - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

NVLD & Asperger's Syndrome

Has anyone here been diagnosed with either NVLD (Nonverbal Learning Disorder) or Asperger's Syndrome?

I was tested and then diagnosed with NVLD at age 18 by a therapist. While a lot of the symptoms professionals list seem familiar to what I experience, not everything matches up. I'm guessing my case is milder than what others are dealing with. For example I've never had problems with balance and coordination, which was one of the commonly listed symptoms. I received an MVP award while on the high school track team, so that doesn't seem to be an issue. I understand all forms of humor and non-literal language well, so I was surprised to see that problem on the list.

Most of the other common symptoms are definitely noticeable though. I never excelled in math courses, and my poor spatial visualization makes driving in unfamiliar areas difficult without a map. I've had problems socializing and fitting in, and I feel as though I'm misinterpreted a lot. Also, I can be emotionally sensitive and my five senses are highly receptive too. I'm not very organized, I'm very spontaneous - more tell-tale signs of the disorder. The most common NVLD trait is preferring verbal language. I'm a freelance writer (poetry/ fiction) and have favored verbal art from a young age, so this fits my personality well.

More information on NVLD is available on this website. http://www.nldline.com/

I mentioned Asperger's Syndrome because there are similarities between NVLD and AS. The following page contains articles on the topic. http://www.nldline.com/as_vs_nld.htm

There's plenty that can be discussed about these conditions, but I'm mainly posting this to see if anyone on these boards has either AS or NVLD. One of my sister's co-workers supposedly has a strong case of AS, but I haven't actually met the guy. I've never known anyone who's been diagnosed with either, it seems to be rare. It's been difficult having no one to relate to on those terms, and I'm sure NVLD has contributed to my social anxiety. After searching, I didn't find much on the topics here. Feel free to contribute to the thread whether or not you've been diagnosed with either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:33 AM
SAS Member

re: NVLD & Asperger's Syndrome

hello! my mom has AS so I inherited a lil bit of the characteristics.. im guessing that im just barely on the autistic spectrum...anyway WrongPlanet.net is a website just like this one that has to do wit AS and a lot of other learning disorders you should definitely check it out!

Born under a bad sun with a blue moon in your eye
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 01:51 PM
SAS Member

WOW thanks so much for the information/links. The NVLD description fits me to a T and I am pretty sure that this is what I have, although I have never even heard of it before. PM me if you want to talk more about it

"We teach people how to treat us."

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
SAS Member

I'm not diagnosed, but I suspect Asperger's Syndrome. I fit most of the traits of it and it would explain a lot about me and how my childhood was. I would agree that you check out Wrong Planet. I post there too.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/dazed_girl/
"To err or not to err? That is the question"-Graciously Organized Design
Currently reading: The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie
Currently playing: Freeware
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:13 PM
SAS Member

Re: re: NVLD & Asperger's Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojez
hello! my mom has AS so I inherited a lil bit of the characteristics.. im guessing that im just barely on the autistic spectrum...anyway WrongPlanet.net is a website just like this one that has to do wit AS and a lot of other learning disorders you should definitely check it out!
I am dealing with a client that lives in one of the group homes I deal with at work. Is it normal for them to be so rude? The guy I deal with is very rude one second and the next he isn't. He is like jykell and hyde. But I think he may have other troubles like antisocial personality disorder. I have never dealt with anyone with Aspergers and I been doing this since I was 19. He is the most challenging client I had to deal with. I love to get some pointers how to deal with him better.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper
Quote:
I am dealing with a client that lives in one of the group homes I deal with at work. Is it normal for them to be so rude? The guy I deal with is very rude one second and the next he isn't. He is like jykell and hyde. But I think he may have other troubles like antisocial personality disorder. I have never dealt with anyone with Aspergers and I been doing this since I was 19. He is the most challenging client I had to deal with. I love to get some pointers how to deal with him better.
trust me when I say that I feel your pain! even tho it would seem that I should be an expert about this stuff....I'm not. People with aspergers can be really belittling and hurtful but the weird thing is they're not doing it on purpose. The thing you have to understand is that when they say something rude to you IT DOESN"T SOUND RUDE TO THEM. so the next time this guy runs his mouth instead of getting frustrated just tell him that what he said hurts you or something. People with aspergers often times are diagnosed with borderline personality disorder cuz they just blow up at random things. You can't change him because what he does is completely normal in his eyes. The best advice I can give you is to become an expert on aspergers not only will he make more sense to you but he might appreciate that you're putting alot of effort into getting to know him. Good luck (you're gonna need it!)

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:14 AM
SAS Member

you can PM me with any questions or if you need some more advice

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 03:36 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
you can PM me with any questions or if you need some more advice
Thanks. We are just giving positive feedback when he says something appropriate and ignoring him when he doesn't in a hope he will learn. We tried confronting him and he end up throwing furniture and other things at staff and hitting them. We just ceased giving him any corrective feedback. We don't have enough staff to use Physical intervention on him all of the time. So we are trying to find a least restrictive way in dealing with him. They have him on 4 different psychotropic meds and that hardly keeps him calm. We also need just one extra staff to just deal with him. His bad times are in the morning and around supper time. There is a lot of commotion that goes on at these times. He goes around pushing everyones buttons including the staff. I think the high stimulation isn't a good thing for him. My wish is for an extra staff to take him out of the house at these times. He is okay 1:1 with staff. It is just when there are other people near him. He will say things to the team leader regarding her sexual relationship with her boyfriend, telling people they smell like crap, etc. I think he likes her and who blames him. She is good looking. It seems he is jealous of her having a boyfriend. He sexually abuse his sister, so this might be it. He was also abused when he was younger. The whole family is messed up. He used to be in a facility for underage sex offenders. When he turned 18 they let him out and we had to house him.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:17 PM
SAS Member

WOW...that kinda makes most families look like a day at the fair...best of luck!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page