Narcissism and Social Anxiety - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #61 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthe? View Post
SAD traits like being judgemental, not trusting others, being easily offended and eventually, becoming bitter and envious are the ones that overlap with the narcissist, but for entirely different reasons and it manifests quite differently.

SA people inwardly judge others harshly because they've been overlooked so often, it's just easier to reject others in their mind first, to save the pain later on. Narcissists do it outwardly because they believe they're superior and it elevates their self esteem putting people down.

SA people don't trust others because they've been hurt too many times, trusting isn't viable anymore. Narcissists are untrustworthy, they project this onto others, therefore, no one can be trusted.

SA people are highly sensitive and embarrass easily, they find it hard to laugh at themselves and can't take criticism, even if it's well meaning. This stems back to their hurtful past, never being in the moment, ruminating about minor slights for weeks or years on end and their self pitying attitude, they usually won't lash out, they'll lick their wounds in private and the cycle continues.

Narcissists believe they're perfect and without fault, to be criticized results in a narcissistic injury and they'll retaliate. While they're usually impervious to criticism, any real or perceived slight about their intelligence can land the other person on their 'target' list, revenge will definitely be forthcoming, no stone left unturned until they've avenged themselves. 'Petty' is their middle name.

SA people can eventually become bitter, and envious of those who they perceive of having it all. They can be wrong in their assessments because they don't socialize, they easily jump to conclusions without evidence and believe the grass is greener over the fence. They very rarely speak up to right a wrong or apply for positions they're perfectly suitable for because of their negative inner dialogue, and for fear of embarrassment.

Narcissists are bitter and always envious and they believe everyone is envious of them too. They're bitter when they don't receive the treatment they 'deserve', when colleagues, friends or family receive accolades or attention, they'll ridicule and punish them, usually in public, they can't accept aging and their bitterness grows no matter how great their life is.

To me it looks like social anxiety is frowned upon and narcissism is a great trait in the modern age.

Another main difference would be that the narcissist would most likely be sucesful in good positions whilst the socially anxious user would not be successful.

[Not trying to offend anyone but thats the sad reality]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 10:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow123 View Post
To me it looks like social anxiety is frowned upon and narcissism is a great trait in the modern age.

Another main difference would be that the narcissist would most likely be sucesful in good positions whilst the socially anxious user would not be successful.

[Not trying to offend anyone but thats the sad reality]
Sadly, it's true, narcissistic traits are glorified in this time in history. Humiliating others is seen as a sport to elevate yourself above the herd, instead of ignoring the abuser, the crowd ignores the one being abused, though in private they will acknowledge it's wrong.

Most definitely narcissists thrive it getting THAT job but the overly cocky can take a tumble, make too many enemies, but they just move on. I think they invented the term, 'moving forward', which usually means disregarding their bad choices and behavior.
post #63 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Sadly, it's true, narcissistic traits are glorified in this time in history. Humiliating others is seen as a sport to elevate yourself above the herd, instead of ignoring the abuser, the crowd ignores the one being abused, though in private they will acknowledge it's wrong.

Most definitely narcissists thrive it getting THAT job but the overly cocky can take a tumble, make too many enemies, but they just move on. I think they invented the term, 'moving forward', which usually means disregarding their bad choices and behavior.
Yup completely agree,

but behind all that narcissistic tendencies presently shows someone with a low self esteem.

The root cause of Narcissim and Social anxiety appear to be low self esteem, however, the narcissist has this huge amount of rage and focus to gain power so much to fill that narcissistic injury. Where as the socially anxious user becomes more so of avoidant. Aka they both have different defense mechanism.

What ties the two bridges together (SA and Narcissim) would be vulnerable narcissism is my best bet.

post #64 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 02:59 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Yup completely agree,

but behind all that narcissistic tendencies presently shows someone with a low self esteem.

The root cause of Narcissim and Social anxiety appear to be low self esteem, however, the narcissist has this huge amount of rage and focus to gain power so much to fill that narcissistic injury. Where as the socially anxious user becomes more so of avoidant. Aka they both have different defense mechanism.

What ties the two bridges together (SA and Narcissim) would be vulnerable narcissism is my best bet.
I agree, I've only learned about vulnerable narcissism recently.
post #65 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 05:50 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

when been harmed in so many brutal ways

fight back, when? how soon? far-fetched future?

not possible in a world of telecomms. all a virtual glass-screened protocol of sight or vocal sound? all under-thumb of all authority of such mezzanine world of LAW!
no weapons to hand, altho golf club, garden fork found in dumpster area, my own clawhammer in toolbox.. never any logic applicable about supermarket who ban me from going in there. anyone come get the car or evict from home i own? only future for me is all bleak & negative, no choices? employment not allowed? how many more those 4 things.. countless attacks.. 60 more years to live... regret?
post #66 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 06:10 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy666 View Post
fight back, when? how soon? far-fetched future?

not possible in a world of telecomms. all a virtual glass-screened protocol of sight or vocal sound? all under-thumb of all authority of such mezzanine world of LAW!
no weapons to hand, altho golf club, garden fork found in dumpster area, my own clawhammer in toolbox.. never any logic applicable about supermarket who ban me from going in there. anyone come get the car or evict from home i own? only future for me is all bleak & negative, no choices? employment not allowed? how many more those 4 things.. countless attacks.. 60 more years to live... regret?
You have been banned from that supermarket for years now. You must have done more than get annoyed with the machine? Come on own up.
post #67 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 05:29 PM
SAS Member

Non-sense. We SAers are not narcissists. We care deeply about people, their feelings, ourselves and others, we are simply plagued by a crippling disorder that disables us from speaking as freely as we would like to when we are in public or around people. To label ALL OF US as narcissists and to REFUSE to acknowledge the OBVIOUS fact that social anxiety is a crippling mental disorder with a pathophysiological origin of low dopamine between receptor synapses in the brain IS FOOLISHNESS. And I say that with all due respect to the OP and I mean no harm or insult my friends. I love and care for all of you deeply who have suffered with social anxiety disorder your whole lives just like I have. We MUST give ourselves MORE credit for BEING THE BRAVE AND STRONG people that we ARE, FIGHTING EVERY DAY, THROUGH AN UNIMAGINABLE HELL, and REFUSING TO GIVE UP. WE WILL DEFEAT THIS SOCIAL ANXIETY DISORDER. Whether it is through medication, cognitive behavioral therapy or neurosurgery, WE SHALL OVERCOME. AMEN. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS ON THIS FORUM. HIT ME UP IF YOU EVER NEED ANYTHING. YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE.
post #68 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 08:17 PM
Fupa King

Language: English
I care about people and try to be considerate to people around me, but sometimes it's just hard for to get out of my head and my problems and remember other people. There is a seemingly innate focus on self and one's image with SA (I think), but I don't know if that's narcissism. On the other hand, I feel on some level that I can relate this meme:
Attached Thumbnails
my-only-2-emotions-i-am-so-great-sad-the-simpsons-bart-simpson_1588472011312.jpg  

Life's Wack
post #69 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 10:05 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
Maybe "offended" is the wrong word? By me stating that I was offended puts the onus on you and you did nothing other than ask a good question. Maybe frustrated would have been a better word? I take everything personally which is probably one of the many reasons why Im in a social anxiety forum in the first place. But I can spot false confidence a mile away... which is probably why I feel so frustrated in our fake society. I also I want nothing more to be someone else other than who I am. To help others would make me feel wonderful and useful.. give me a purpose but I get so caught up in my introverted internal world that this feels impossible. I guess I do feel selfish but I feel I dont want to be like this, hence the frustration.. but it feels like who I am. I've always lived in my own internal world since I was a little kid.. I guess its how I learnt to survive. Now I look at all these narcissistic social influencers who get to feel "complete" because they are helping others but they are really only manipulating others for personal gain NOT empowering them. If they empowered others, their own purpose and means of income becomes void. It's all an illusion. I guess I'm frustrated as at least their illusion is better than nothing.
Ah man, I feel you here. I was looking at the ol' Instagram the other day and wishing I were that good at making my life look sleek and polished, lol. If it helps at all, your internal world is valuable! Even if it doesn't align with the external value systems, it's still a gift and I would bet that by you having it, as well as genuinely wanting to help other people, you make the world a better place

Language is a virus from outer space!

--William Burroughs; Laurie Anderson
post #70 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgapeOverEros View Post
Non-sense. We SAers are not narcissists. We care deeply about people, their feelings, ourselves and others, we are simply plagued by a crippling disorder that disables us from speaking as freely as we would like to when we are in public or around people. To label ALL OF US as narcissists and to REFUSE to acknowledge the OBVIOUS fact that social anxiety is a crippling mental disorder with a pathophysiological origin of low dopamine between receptor synapses in the brain IS FOOLISHNESS. And I say that with all due respect to the OP and I mean no harm or insult my friends. I love and care for all of you deeply who have suffered with social anxiety disorder your whole lives just like I have. We MUST give ourselves MORE credit for BEING THE BRAVE AND STRONG people that we ARE, FIGHTING EVERY DAY, THROUGH AN UNIMAGINABLE HELL, and REFUSING TO GIVE UP. WE WILL DEFEAT THIS SOCIAL ANXIETY DISORDER. Whether it is through medication, cognitive behavioral therapy or neurosurgery, WE SHALL OVERCOME. AMEN. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS ON THIS FORUM. HIT ME UP IF YOU EVER NEED ANYTHING. YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE.
I mean if people are that insecure about this thread I might as well take it down. I personally dont take offense.
post #71 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 12:03 AM
The Advocate

Supremacy/ Narcisism/ Pyschology

DOES HEIGHT MATTER?????

I suppose it is about perception... assertion... Height is the only factor in determining superiority... that supremacy is real

The tall person perceives themselves to be superior to the short person but the short person disagrees/ thinks he is superior due to his height.....? there is conflict? Height does matter

If the tall person believes he is superior and the short person agrees then... ? there is peace... ? Height preference is then set as a precedent? Submissiveness?

If the tall person doesn't believe he is superior and the short person believes the tall person is superior then.... ? There is..... WHAT??????. some form of love?

If the tall person doesn't believe they are superior due to there height and the short person doesn't think they are superior due to there height then... ? there is peace...? The characteristic doesn't matter?

Please have a read and try to understand where I am coming from . Is there already a branch of Psychology concerned with this line of thought? Anybody know? Any thoughts are welcome .
post #72 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 12:06 AM
The Advocate

Quote:
Is there a link between the two? both of them seem to be overly concerned with themselfs
I am sure there is a difference, narcissists have little regard for the feelings of others. Whereas most people with Social anxiety do have regard for others feelings.
post #73 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 12:26 AM
The Advocate

We all judge and when we think about something or some person. If there is a goal and (short supply?)... there is 'supremacy'.
post #74 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 12:35 AM
The Advocate

If there is no short supply.... there is no supremacy... But there is 'varying' short supply?..... we are programmed by nature to strive for the best? or are fat people as attractive as slim tall people????
post #75 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 01:05 AM
The Advocate

There are social rules..... Majority rules.... Some people are 'better'/ more successful/ better looking/ etc than others. Some have it all.... Some have very little.

Do we kick people when they are down?... Or do we rather give them a helping hand up?

If there is a goal of procreating ( I am assume is the main goal of all humans, (once basic needs are satisfied)???). The more something is in short supply? ( For me women, more specifically those that will mate with me ), if you aggregate this up does it reduce the ability for kindness ( as a society ). And vice versa i.e is a kinder society one in which there is less short supply... more resources/ money... less pressure to find the 'perfect' mate.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? I find it really interesting and the fascination is born out from years of living with Body dysmorphia disorder. It has probably made me a little mad .
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 01:12 AM
The Advocate

Quote:

To dub someone a Narcissist is offensive, so one must be careful in disclosing their superiority!!! What if a narcissist is correct they are viewed by the majority of society as superior? Or at least until they admit it to someone?
post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 07:15 AM
The Advocate

Wherefore art thou responses???
post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 12:12 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I mean if people are that insecure about this thread I might as well take it down. I personally dont take offense.
I am not insecure. I am stating FACTS. That's why I WROTE MY POST with Words. Engraved IN STONE. FOR ALL TO SEE. I'm not trying to hurt you brother. I love you. But don't DEMEAN MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS with social anxiety disorder by telling them that they are narcissists when THE TRUTH is they have a CHEMICAL DISORDER in their BRAIN that causes their social MALFUNCTIONING resulting in SOCIAL ANXIETY DISORDER. I am going to post my own medication regimen for social anxiety in this forum where I have been a member for over 10 years NOW. Go and read it in the "Medication" section. I LOVE YOU SHADOW123. You and all of my FELLOW SASers WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU. JESUS CHRIST LOVES ALL OF YOU EVEN MORE THAN I DO. AMEN. It doesn't matter if this is not the religion section mods, I am ALLOWED to speak freely unless my comment is offensive to anyone else which it is not. Therefore, DO NOT take DOWN my post AGAIN. May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ bless all of my brothers and sisters with social anxiety disorder on this forum and SET THEM FREE As it is WRITTEN "THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE". Amen.
post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 06:20 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendyfool View Post
Ah man, I feel you here. I was looking at the ol' Instagram the other day and wishing I were that good at making my life look sleek and polished, lol. If it helps at all, your internal world is valuable! Even if it doesn't align with the external value systems, it's still a gift and I would bet that by you having it, as well as genuinely wanting to help other people, you make the world a better place
Hey mate, great to hear from you! Thank for your thoughts
post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgapeOverEros View Post
I am not insecure. I am stating FACTS. That's why I WROTE MY POST with Words. Engraved IN STONE. FOR ALL TO SEE. I'm not trying to hurt you brother. I love you. But don't DEMEAN MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS with social anxiety disorder by telling them that they are narcissists when THE TRUTH is they have a CHEMICAL DISORDER in their BRAIN that causes their social MALFUNCTIONING resulting in SOCIAL ANXIETY DISORDER. I am going to post my own medication regimen for social anxiety in this forum where I have been a member for over 10 years NOW. Go and read it in the "Medication" section. I LOVE YOU SHADOW123. You and all of my FELLOW SASers WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU. JESUS CHRIST LOVES ALL OF YOU EVEN MORE THAN I DO. AMEN. It doesn't matter if this is not the religion section mods, I am ALLOWED to speak freely unless my comment is offensive to anyone else which it is not. Therefore, DO NOT take DOWN my post AGAIN. May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ bless all of my brothers and sisters with social anxiety disorder on this forum and SET THEM FREE As it is WRITTEN "THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE". Amen.
Nice energy lol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page