Narcissism and Social Anxiety - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 11:48 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Lightbulb

AND HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety &
& HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety FOREVER AND HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety &
& HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety FOREVER AND HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety &
& HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety FOREVER & nothing else evva? Human Race severely mentally limited & unaware of that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 12:06 PM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
indeed, the little speccy ****

Like a fine wine, our ****s must age into a fine vintage, only uncorked and given on the most special ****ing occasions

Southampton FC
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 12:11 PM
prince charming

@Shadow123

Never got to reading this one, but if you want to look deeper into that question, you might want to read this book: Shame: The Underside of Narcissism.

((( connect or perish )))

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 04:23 PM
SAS Member

I've been a narcissist for much of my life. I like to think that I've recovered from it with socializing. Talking to other people and hearing what they have to say and trying to help them takes me out of my solo patterns and changes my focus.

I have been a hero-narcissist, helping others solely for the purpose of self image.

My self image was constantly under attack by sadists who bullied me and my narcissistic machevelian mother, who failed to be impressed with anything I ever did. My attempts to honor her biblically with greater and greater achievements always fell flat, forcing me to go bigger and better just to try to fulfill my levitical obligation to her.

Finally with coronovirus she listened to something I had been cooking up my whole life and there was a concussion of relief to me.

Ever since I've felt free of this hero-narcissistic-levitical complex and I've been enjoying doing pretty much nothing important.

When coronovirus ends I'll figure something else out and try to base it on healthier patterns.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 04:40 PM
S F C 0 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar48 View Post
I've been a narcissist for much of my life. I like to think that I've recovered from it with socializing. Talking to other people and hearing what they have to say and trying to help them takes me out of my solo patterns and changes my focus.

I have been a hero-narcissist, helping others solely for the purpose of self image.

My self image was constantly under attack by sadists who bullied me and my narcissistic machevelian mother, who failed to be impressed with anything I ever did. My attempts to honor her biblically with greater and greater achievements always fell flat, forcing me to go bigger and better just to try to fulfill my levitical obligation to her.

Finally with coronovirus she listened to something I had been cooking up my whole life and there was a concussion of relief to me.

Ever since I've felt free of this hero-narcissistic-levitical complex and I've been enjoying doing pretty much nothing important.

When coronovirus ends I'll figure something else out and try to base it on healthier patterns.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Narcisissts rarely accept thats what they are eh so well done on that.

Seem to have shaken it off easy enough as well.

Like a fine wine, our ****s must age into a fine vintage, only uncorked and given on the most special ****ing occasions

Southampton FC
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 02:51 AM
Dogra Magra

Language: 中国語
For those interested:
Narcissistic Thinking in an Avoidance Vortex

The above article looks at avoidant behaviour (common coping mechanism in social anxiety) in terms of preventing some anticipated rejection/humiliation or failure to meet one's own self-imposed standards. In essence you wish to avoid feeling anxious so much that you are willing to overlook any negative consequences that your behaviour might have on someone else (essentially placing your own need to avoid feeling bad above whatever needs other people may have).

Unlike plain old selfishness, avoidants are aware that they are in the wrong and feel plenty of self-loathing. But that awareness and guilt is not enough for change, they are nonetheless able to detach and rationalise to themselves in a way that continues the cycle of avoidance. The compulsion, detachment, and egocentrism at work here is similar to the narcissist's modus operandi. And if one considers classic narcissism as compulsive self-soothing at the expense of hurting other people, then extreme avoidance is basically the same thing, plus it is also done at the expense of hurting yourself. The article calls this "vulnerable narcissism".
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 11:36 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
I'm unsure I get it because, most narcissist people would walk over someone else to meet their needs, while social anxious people tend to stay away and wait to take what's left after everyone's gone. so..... ??
.or they take it to Fakebook or Instasham.

Selfie sticks - the beginning.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 01:11 PM
Eye Watchin' U

Language: American English, Gibberish
Not sure how Harry Potter came into this discussion, but I second with what that guy said. I was never into that movie/book series anyway.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 02:08 PM
❤️⭐ Terminator ⭐❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNikki View Post
Not sure how Harry Potter came into this discussion, but I second with what that guy said. I was never into that movie/book series anyway.
lol

❤️⭐⭐❤️
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 04:37 PM
bipolar

I haven't been following the discussion so far but tbh I don't see how the two could be connected. I can relate though as I've had my feelings of grandiosity during mania confused with narcissism before - it's a very strange feeling. You feel pretty much invincible and that you're superior to everyone else.

I distinctly remember walking through department stores and wondering why everyone wasn't staring at me. When I was younger and looked better some of them would be - so it re-enforced it. Very strange indeed.
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
S F C 0 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I haven't been following the discussion so far but tbh I don't see how the two could be connected. I can relate though as I've had my feelings of grandiosity during mania confused with narcissism before - it's a very strange feeling. You feel pretty much invincible and that you're superior to everyone else.

I distinctly remember walking through department stores and wondering why everyone wasn't staring at me. When I was younger and looked better some of them would be - so it re-enforced it. Very strange indeed.

There are a few types, covert narcissists in particular can be socially anxious. Obvs grandiose types wont suffer from it tho.

Southampton FC
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
The thing is that when none cares one becomes bitter and craving attention. I don't think we're narcissists. If we had been respected as normal people we probably wouldn't be killing ourselves (metaphorically or for real) to get attention, would we
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM
S F C 0 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdone View Post
The thing is that when none cares one becomes bitter and craving attention. I don't think we're narcissists. If we had been respected as normal people we probably wouldn't be killing ourselves (metaphorically or for real) to get attention, would we

Not sure what you mean, but people with narcisssistic personality disorder are obvs human beings, and others are to blame for their issues.

Its a shame that the condition is very hard to treat, probably due to the fact that very few people who suffer from it are prepared to seek help.

I'm talking in general from what I have read, not from any personal experience.

Southampton FC
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'avjo View Post
Not sure what you mean, but people with narcisssistic personality disorder are obvs human beings, and others are to blame for their issues.

Its a shame that the condition is very hard to treat, probably due to the fact that very few people who suffer from it are prepared to seek help.

I'm talking in general from what I have read, not from any personal experience.

I was actually talking about people with social anxiety that some would like to label as narcissists. I don't think we AS sufferers are actually narcissists (they exist, obviously) since it'd be really difficult to find a more selfless person than someone with social anxiety since we always put others first. If we didn't, would we be socially anxious? I doubt it. A narcissist is never a doormat contrary to the social anxiety sufferer....
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
S F C 0 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdone View Post
I was actually talking about people with social anxiety that some would like to label as narcissists. I don't think we AS sufferers are actually narcissists (they exist, obviously) since it'd be really difficult to find a more selfless person than someone with social anxiety since we always put others first. If we didn't, would we be socially anxious? I doubt it. A narcissist is never a doormat contrary to the social anxiety sufferer....

Ok, I dont think you would ever confuse someone with just SA as being a narcissist, far from it. There are specific traits for each that are very different.

Obvs, a narcissistic SA sufferer would show both behavioural traits.

Southampton FC
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM
SAS Member

I'm not a narcissist because in conversation it always includes the other person and me, too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page