Narcissism and Social Anxiety - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 101
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNikki View Post
People can display certain traits but would not have it as a personality disorder. To have NPD you would have to meet a good sum of symptoms, regardless on whether you have SA, are introverted or extroverted, etc.

Probably a troll question, but answering in a direct and watered down version anyway.
Why do you think it’s a troll question?

Genuine interested in the correlation

The bad narcissism is caused by a lack of self esteem, and they use a projection method to protect them of their insecurity.

I feel like the mechanism behind SAD is to cause anxiety to avoid certain scenarios

Btw by no means I am attacking anyone, I just read an article and was interested about everyone opinion. Everyone here is so easily drawn to conclusion.
Shadow123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 101
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
Social anxiety is a symptom more than it is a disorder in itself. Also, this site isn't necessarily restricted to those who have social ANXIETY, but people who just plain socially inept/frustrated as well. You're definitely going to find narcissists as well as other predatory personality types among the boards just as you would the normal population.

But, no, I don't think there is any special link between narcissism and social anxiety. This post feels more like a dig at someone than a legitimate question.
Read above
Shadow123 is offline  
post #23 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:03 PM
Moderator
 
CNikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Language: American English, Gibberish
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow123 View Post
Why do you think it’s a troll question?

Genuine interested in the correlation

The bad narcissism is caused by a lack of self esteem, and they use a projection method to protect them of their insecurity.

I feel like the mechanism behind SAD is to cause anxiety to avoid certain scenarios

Btw by no means I am attacking anyone, I just read an article and was interested about everyone opinion. Everyone here is so easily drawn to conclusion.
Normally when people had asked questions relating to this, or generally to categorize those with SAD and/or other mental illness(es), it is usually in a mockery type of way, which brings a defense mode in response. I apologize that I may have jumped to conclusion if you are genuine about the question.

Social anxiety disorder is fear of social interaction. Genetics and environmental factors can play in part (childhood abuse, lack of social exposure while growing up, trauma that can stem from repeated negative interactions, etc.)

Narcissists generally have an innate defensive response which can resort for them to appear grandiose (most portrayal of narcissists); even for those who are more passive, it still seeks for interaction that manipulates in ways that makes those they interact with question their reality since the 'quiet' narcissists can easily portray themselves as victims. There's a broader spectrum that makes it difficult to distinguish whether a person is a narcissist, or if they can qualify to be diagnosed Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) according to the DSM-V.

I'd suggest watching Dr. Ramani's series about narcissism since she adequately explains about the different types of narcissism.



(More of a basic video, but I do remember there being an interview where there were maybe seven types listed. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding it.)


TEDx Talk:


I guess the general distinction and conclusion is that narcissists do have motives when they want to interact with others. Those with SAD fear social scenarios and avoid or have as minimal interaction as possible, therefore 'benefit' by avoiding social interaction.
CNikki is online now  
 
post #24 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 101
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNikki View Post
Normally when people had asked questions relating to this, or generally to categorize those with SAD and/or other mental illness(es), it is usually in a mockery type of way, which brings a defense mode in response. I apologize that I may have jumped to conclusion if you are genuine about the question.

Social anxiety disorder is fear of social interaction. Genetics and environmental factors can play in part (childhood abuse, lack of social exposure while growing up, trauma that can stem from repeated negative interactions, etc.)

Narcissists generally have an innate defensive response which can resort for them to appear grandiose (most portrayal of narcissists); even for those who are more passive, it still seeks for interaction that manipulates in ways that makes those they interact with question their reality since the 'quiet' narcissists can easily portray themselves as victims. There's a broader spectrum that makes it difficult to distinguish whether a person is a narcissist, or if they can qualify to be diagnosed Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) according to the DSM-V.

I'd suggest watching Dr. Ramani's series about narcissism since she adequately explains about the different types of narcissism.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uJs0iGQN0M

(More of a basic video, but I do remember there being an interview where there were maybe seven types listed. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding it.)


TEDx Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHHWgG7dB6A


I guess the general distinction and conclusion is that narcissists do have motives when they want to interact with others. Those with SAD fear social scenarios and avoid or have as minimal interaction as possible, therefore 'benefit' by avoiding social interaction.
Oh those are some interesting information.

Like as myself, when somone attacks me verbally I usually retaliate in a bad way. Not sure if a person with social anxiety would do that
Shadow123 is offline  
post #25 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:48 PM
Moderator
 
CNikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Language: American English, Gibberish
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow123 View Post
Oh those are some interesting information.

Like as myself, when somone attacks me verbally I usually retaliate in a bad way. Not sure if a person with social anxiety would do that
Some people can have a breaking point and lash out after having the 'flight' mode of avoiding undesirable interactions for so long. In severe cases, SAD is where interaction is to be avoided and remain in that flight mode to not have circumstances where you would have to stick up for yourself. In a world where we are having no other choice, it's all the more difficult and more severe consequences for people with SAD.

Unfortunately I'm the same way. It's not that I 'want' to retaliate and 'become aggressive'. In fact after the fact it still follows me throughout the day and even at night where I may not sleep well. But it's the world we're living in.
CNikki is online now  
post #26 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 101
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNikki View Post
Some people can have a breaking point and lash out after having the 'flight' mode of avoiding undesirable interactions for so long. In severe cases, SAD is where interaction is to be avoided and remain in that flight mode to not have circumstances where you would have to stick up for yourself. In a world where we are having no other choice, it's all the more difficult and more severe consequences for people with SAD.

Unfortunately I'm the same way. It's not that I 'want' to retaliate and 'become aggressive'. In fact after the fact it still follows me throughout the day and even at night where I may not sleep well. But it's the world we're living in.
I personally also have a mood swings alot, usually il be super confidence and passive aggresive if nothing works in my way,

then il start becoming depressed/full of anxiety its like a vicious cycle

it sucks in general
Shadow123 is offline  
post #27 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 09:15 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 132
Can be related. Social anxiety often occurs with other mental disorders. Seems like those with social anxiety haven't developed proper functioning ego defense mechanisms that help ward off negative feelings whereas in narcissism they have by compensating for their feelings of inferiority that might have otherwise turned into feelings of inadequacy and social anxiety.
samboychippies is offline  
post #28 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 101
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by samboychippies View Post
Can be related. Social anxiety often occurs with other mental disorders. Seems like those with social anxiety haven't developed proper functioning ego defense mechanisms that help ward off negative feelings whereas in narcissism they have by compensating for their feelings of inferiority that might have otherwise turned into feelings of inadequacy and social anxiety.
I agree with you,

people with social anxiety seems to be very sensitive also, more empathetic. In turn they can become easily a people pleaser to compensate for their lack of ego. A malignant narcissist try attacking other people to compensate for the lack of an ego.

Everyone seems to group narcissism to one specific type, but there are many at play.

Also in practical terms, vulnerable narcissism may very well correlate with social anxiety.
Shadow123 is offline  
post #29 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 04:42 PM
Social experimenter
 
asittingducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Age: 31
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow123 View Post
I agree with you,

people with social anxiety seems to be very sensitive also, more empathetic. In turn they can become easily a people pleaser to compensate for their lack of ego. A malignant narcissist try attacking other people to compensate for the lack of an ego.

Everyone seems to group narcissism to one specific type, but there are many at play.

Also in practical terms, vulnerable narcissism may very well correlate with social anxiety.
I can see it. But at the same time...SA'ers are so preoccupied with their inner thoughts and worries they don't really focus on what other people are thinking or feeling. Narcissists seek approval or to manipulate people by focusing on what others think rather than their own thoughts.
asittingducky is offline  
post #30 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 05:49 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 62
Having just read about narcissistic personality disorder, I can't help but think that a little of this could actually be a gift in the awful world that we live in. It sound like exactly the type of mindset that would lead to success.
Matthew19 is offline  
post #31 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 06:52 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Language: English
Posts: 1,634
narcissism, is it "all about me or "look at me", if it's the latter I think it should be ok, what's wrong with feeling nice about your qualities
lily is offline  
post #32 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:11 PM
SAS Member
 
Shredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La La Land
Gender: Male
Posts: 709
Im actually offended that you put me in the same category as a narcissist but the reality is most people in general are pretty screwed up but some thrive in our world better than others.

Both the socially anxious and narcissists are maladapted in regards to self-esteem. A narcissist has a deep need for excessive attention and admiration whereas someone with SA fears this attention.

Someone who is truly a peace within themselves doesn't require validation from others.

Unfortunately within our world of commerce, manipulation and influence, the narcissist seems to thrive and is financially rewarded. They often get the opportunity of making sh1tloads of money. They even get to share a small amount of their wealth with the "poor" to feel even better within themselves. Collectively we define this as "success".
Shredder is offline  
post #33 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:25 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 109
Everything is on a spectrum, its all a question of how severe something is, also without a context every person could be diagnosed with quite a lot of ****ty stuff, anxiety is a natural reaction, lack of anxiety is actually weirder, narcissism isnt about being self absorbed as much as being unable to see others/understand them.
That is my somewhat cliche answer
Rakawakafo is offline  
post #34 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 06:20 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 122
I'm unsure I get it because, most narcissist people would walk over someone else to meet their needs, while social anxious people tend to stay away and wait to take what's left after everyone's gone. so..... ??
Fixxer is online now  
post #35 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 03:30 PM
Dogra Magra
 
bad baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: an accidental wilderness
Language: 中国語
Posts: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow123 View Post
Why do you think it’s a troll question?

Genuine interested in the correlation

The bad narcissism is caused by a lack of self esteem, and they use a projection method to protect them of their insecurity.

I feel like the mechanism behind SAD is to cause anxiety to avoid certain scenarios

Btw by no means I am attacking anyone, I just read an article and was interested about everyone opinion. Everyone here is so easily drawn to conclusion.
From all the books on narcissism that I have read, it is an extreme form of self-image management stemming from low self-esteem/self-worth. I think the difference between the Narcissist and the Anxious-Avoidant is that the latter is self-aware and other-aware (ie. has empathy). Contrary to appearances, I suspect the Narcissist is unable to feel any real joy. When you choose to numb your emotions, you numb the good along with the bad. It's a sad, incomplete existence, albeit one that is generally more functional in our contemporary society.

*
my otome tumblr blog

realisation: the act or process of becoming real. —Webster
bad baby is offline  
post #36 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 03:42 PM
alien monk
 
andy1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 7,627
some people seem to be able to take all their negative judgements and work on themselves until they judge themselves positively - but then they judge other people that don't live up to their standard as weak etc, since they used to be the worst but overcame it (they were never the worst but they thought that) so why couldn't anyone else? and they turn what was their disgust of themselves onto others. i guess they leverage that to also keep up their self maintenance because they wouldn't want to become one of those disgusting weak people again.

i've been the recipient of that disgust from one or two people from an anxiety themed meetup group. (of course they were shallow pua, gym obsessed people lol)

i guess some people are just anxious from conditioning, genes etc while some are anxious because they buy into the social hierarchy 110% like good little lobsters but find themselves at the bottom.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
andy1984 is offline  
post #37 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 06:31 PM
Covid1984
 
Scrub-Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,090
My Mood: Twisted
A narcissist with social anxiety lol. Imagine that.

The past was erased,
the erasure was forgotten,
the lie became the truth

George Orwell-1984
Scrub-Zero is offline  
post #38 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 10:06 AM
S F C 0 1
 
D'avjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Straight outta not giving a ****sville
Language: English
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,107
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew19 View Post
Having just read about narcissistic personality disorder, I can't help but think that a little of this could actually be a gift in the awful world that we live in. It sound like exactly the type of mindset that would lead to success.

That mindset has probably led to the awful world we live in.


Would rather pick up dog crap for a living than targeting people, one after the other, just to see how much misery you can inflict on them.


Its a very ****ed up mindset.

**** your feelings !!


SFC
D'avjo is online now  
post #39 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 11:48 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier
 
twitchy666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Berkshire
Language: ASCII, T-SQL
Gender: Male
Age: 44
Posts: 8,400
My Mood: Angry
Lightbulb

AND HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety &
& HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety FOREVER AND HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety &
& HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety FOREVER AND HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety &
& HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety FOREVER AND HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety &
& HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety FOREVER AND HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety &
& HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety FOREVER AND HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety &
& HARRY POTTER & Narcissism and Social Anxiety FOREVER & nothing else evva? Human Race severely mentally limited & unaware of that
twitchy666 is offline  
post #40 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 12:06 PM
S F C 0 1
 
D'avjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Straight outta not giving a ****sville
Language: English
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,107
My Mood: Amused
indeed, the little speccy ****

**** your feelings !!


SFC
D'avjo is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome