Narcissism and Social Anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused

Narcissism and Social Anxiety

Is there a link between the two? both of them seem to be overly concerned with themselfs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:08 PM
Homicidal Furby 🔪

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Most psychological disorders overlap in symptoms and most of them are being exacerbated in industrialised nations at the moment.

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 02:42 PM
bipolar

You'd be pretty concerned with yourself too if you had a panic attack when you were in certain social situations. That doesn't make you a narcissist.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 02:54 PM
-

People can display certain traits but would not have it as a personality disorder. To have NPD you would have to meet a good sum of symptoms, regardless on whether you have SA, are introverted or extroverted, etc.

Probably a troll question, but answering in a direct and watered down version anyway.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:29 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
I don't think so. I have a form of social anxiety and traits but I still help out/care about other people.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:49 PM
Half agony, half hope.

I googled 'Is social anxiety related to narcism' b/c I'm lazy and found this viewpoint to be pretty spot on.

"Let me turn it around. Are narcissistic people socially anxious? I doubt so. They like to boast about themselves to feel good about themselves. They assume people will like them, and even if people don't like them, they don't care, they have sufficient self-love to get by. It doesn't hurt if they do not receive such love from others.

Socially anxious people, on the other hand, usually don't feel too good about themselves. They care what other people think of them, because they want to be liked and accepted. They struggle if they face rejection or are deemed by others to be inferior, uncool, or unlikeable. They do not know how special and wonderful they are and that actually they do not really need anyone's approval to be truly approved.

Looking from this angle, though both the socially anxious and narcissist are preoccupied with themselves, their motivations or starting points are very different. One thinks they are too good to be true, the other thinks they are not good enough to be loved."

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:39 PM
ghostly

I think for some forms of anxiety, they are very closely related

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

believe in urself
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:04 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow123 View Post
Is there a link between the two? both of them seem to be overly concerned with themselfs
Just the realm of self-protection and self-affirming. Yeah, there is an element of narcissism in SA.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:14 PM
Cooked.

My Mood: Worried
Social anxiety is a symptom more than it is a disorder in itself. Also, this site isn't necessarily restricted to those who have social ANXIETY, but people who just plain socially inept/frustrated as well. You're definitely going to find narcissists as well as other predatory personality types among the boards just as you would the normal population.

But, no, I don't think there is any special link between narcissism and social anxiety. This post feels more like a dig at someone than a legitimate question.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:00 PM
On An Indefinite Hiatus

themselfs
themselfs
themselfs

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:35 PM
S F C 0 1

My Mood: Amused
Just what I read, nothing else

Don't just do something, sit there !

Southampton FC
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 01:47 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
Social anxiety is a symptom more than it is a disorder in itself. Also, this site isn't necessarily restricted to those who have social ANXIETY, but people who just plain socially inept/frustrated as well. You're definitely going to find narcissists as well as other predatory personality types among the boards just as you would the normal population.

But, no, I don't think there is any special link between narcissism and social anxiety. This post feels more like a dig at someone than a legitimate question.
I used to think that social anxiety was always a symptom and never a disorder but after reading the boards, I've found that social anxiety can also be partly a symptom (socially-induced or triggered by bad experience) and partly a disorder (which is genetic), or it can be just a disorder (they weren't well-nourished and a bad gene passed on w/ physical chemicals involved) in which the person has had it all their life and has no reason that they know of to be like that but they are for example, so the gene (disorder) can cause someone to lack confidence/be socially inept or just the symptom can cause that too or partly of both.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:05 AM
Packing My Bags

Both care greatly about what others think. Except social anxiety probably sulks and withdraws if they realize others think of them negatively. The fear of displeasing others and having probably more regard for the feelings of others, in fear they will be disliked. Narcissists on the other hand in this case will lash out and go on the offense at others they deem think negatively of them to try to either manipulate, force, or coerce them and even to hurt them if necessary, in order to "fix" them into changing their opinion, until they feel like they are being liked and being seen positively. They have very little regard of other's feelings aside from that of their own. They think in a perspective that revolves mostly around oneself and very little or even none of others.
In my view, narcissism in severe cases should actually be seen as sociopathy.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:47 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I think that SA is generally the complete opposite of thinking too highly of oneself. The average SAer seems to worship other people and think of themselves as complete garbage. I don't know. I've been here 10 years and I've seen people say the same thing pretty much every day I've been here. They hate themselves and wish they could be like everyone else. That doesn't seem like narcissism at all to me.

/WYSD
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:58 AM
Homicidal Furby 🔪

I think when people equate the two they're thinking more about vulnerable/covert narcissism than grandiose. The personality disorder diagnoses is generally based on grandiose narcissism though (and it also has to occur not as a part of another personality or mood disorder like bipolar. Like Kanye West is a narcissist but he probably doesn't have NPD because he has bipolar.)

If you reduce narcissism to being self absorbed then it's true of every personality disorder I think. Can't think of any that aren't actually off the top of my head. Even the schizo-spectrum ones (SA is likely on that spectrum as follows: SA > AvPD > Schizoid > Schizotypal > Other schizophrenia conditions) that involve diffuse identities still involve some level of self absorption or self absorption as a defence from losing the self into others etc. If you're very sensitive and you absorb everything that's going on around you because you have no filter for information - all the sounds, and the emotions of other people. Like this image it starts to drive you crazy especially as you become more stressed or experience certain negative life experiences that are overwhelming. This is a bit different to basic narcissism but like I say most people with one PD have symptoms of others, they all overlap, they all have fuzzy borders until you get to the extremes etc.

Cause like most disorders are tied to problems with theory of mind, emotional dysregulation, stimulus processing, and self-other distinctions at a base level.

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 03:45 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I think when people equate the two they're thinking more about vulnerable/covert narcissism than grandiose. The personality disorder diagnoses is generally based on grandiose narcissism though (and it also has to occur not as a part of another personality or mood disorder like bipolar. Like Kanye West is a narcissist but he probably doesn't have NPD because he has bipolar.)

If you reduce narcissism to being self absorbed then it's true of every personality disorder I think. Can't think of any that aren't actually off the top of my head. Even the schizo-spectrum ones (SA is likely on that spectrum as follows: SA > AvPD > Schizoid > Schizotypal > Other schizophrenia conditions) that involve diffuse identities still involve some level of self absorption or self absorption as a defence from losing the self into others etc. If you're very sensitive and you absorb everything that's going on around you because you have no filter for information - all the sounds, and the emotions of other people. Like this image it starts to drive you crazy especially as you become more stressed or experience certain negative life experiences that are overwhelming. This is a bit different to basic narcissism but like I say most people with one PD have symptoms of others, they all overlap, they all have fuzzy borders until you get to the extremes etc.

Cause like most disorders are tied to problems with theory of mind, emotional dysregulation, stimulus processing, and self-other distinctions at a base level.
I was told I had narcissistic personality disorder ages ago when I first started going into hospital to try and get off the Xanax. I can understand why - at the time I think I was probably manic - raving actually, talking constantly about myself and how wonderful I was (grandiosity) and how I wanted to kill certain people. How much pleasure I got for example from the hatred I felt sometimes. I still remember the poor woman sitting there frantically writing everything I said down in her notes.

Quite interesting really, because I don't think I fit the criteria for it normally.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:09 PM
SAS Member

@Karsten , just to let you know that I edited my post#12 above.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:41 PM
Homicidal Furby 🔪

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I was told I had narcissistic personality disorder ages ago when I first started going into hospital to try and get off the Xanax. I can understand why - at the time I think I was probably manic - raving actually, talking constantly about myself and how wonderful I was (grandiosity) and how I wanted to kill certain people. How much pleasure I got for example from the hatred I felt sometimes. I still remember the poor woman sitting there frantically writing everything I said down in her notes.

Quite interesting really, because I don't think I fit the criteria for it normally.
Yeah grandiosity is common during mania but I guess if they weren't aware they would assume NPD though I think the other symptoms should have tipped them off.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:10 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Yeah grandiosity is common during mania but I guess if they weren't aware they would assume NPD though I think the other symptoms should have tipped them off.
Yeah, I'd say it must be very hard to diagnose something like bipolar or a lot of other disorders too really. I'm "lucky" in that when I had that really big manic episode it was sort of a text-book example of what happens. Plus of course my wife was frantically calling my old psychiatrist saying she didn't know where I was and what the hell was he going to do about it. That got their attention.

Sometimes I think symptoms need to be really severe before anyone really notices.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:24 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Yeah, I'd say it must be very hard to diagnose something like bipolar or a lot of other disorders too really. I'm "lucky" in that when I had that really big manic episode it was sort of a text-book example of what happens. Plus of course my wife was frantically calling my old psychiatrist saying she didn't know where I was and what the hell was he going to do about it. That got their attention.

Sometimes I think symptoms need to be really severe before anyone really notices.
Not sure if I can agree to that last statement. When I started anti-depressants and a sedative, that's when the 'manic' episodes came in. Usually when one goes on anti-depressants and becomes manic, it is considered as bipolar disorder. But looking back and seeing how I've basically been given one medication after another simply because of any move that was made, it made things worse than they actually were. When it genuinely started going bad and I went cold turkey from medicine while other things were going on, that was when I was least seriously taken. I hold that grudge with the psychiatric and to an extent the psychologist industries. This also counts the potential bodily damage that was done if I had not went cold turkey after basically being told to 'suck it up'.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page