My sibling attempted suicide yesterday, what do I do? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
the knowledge void

Exclamation

My sibling attempted suicide yesterday, what do I do?

they told me on the phone just now

i'm panicking

i texted my parents they are driving over there righ tnow

what do I do?

AIIOW3VERYT_8N5H47EE
the demon is the healer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:46 PM

Language: English, Real talk, Spiritual
Where are you?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
the knowledge void

thanks for the reply

I live in sweden, how is that relevant

AIIOW3VERYT_8N5H47EE
the demon is the healer

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 PM

No problem.

No not where are you from but where you are currently at right now at this moment. Like at home or somewhere
I didn't want to assume you being at home.

This must be a really bad situation for you. And scary one. What you should consider to do is maybe lay down. This usually help me a lot. The more you think about panic the worse you will feel.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
the knowledge void

The worst panic has passed

i am at home

AIIOW3VERYT_8N5H47EE
the demon is the healer
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 PM

That's really good to hear.

{Ok}

Are you still feeling a little panicky and uneasy?

I'm sorry for all these questions. I just want to get a better understanding to your situation so I can give you some advice and also to make sure you are Ok.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
the knowledge void

i just need advice on what the hell to do i mean if it happens again my life is destroyed.
i mean they refuse to seek therapy or any other help so it's like my hands are tied.

it's midnight and i'm dizzy so not that smart right now

no need to reply quickly, i need to go to bed. i just hope this doesn't happen again tonight.

AIIOW3VERYT_8N5H47EE
the demon is the healer
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 PM

You could learn to meditate. Taking deep long breaths while staying still can help. It keep your focus off of the anxiety. You can consider purchasing some essential oils. Those really help. They have some for Stress, sleep and anxiety to name a few. A few drops around your wrist and around your neck and temple does the trick. I recommend the oils.

Stay Strong and Calm. I hope your sibling is Ok. Be strong for them too And Good luck
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
the knowledge void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Spirit View Post
You could learn to meditate. Taking deep long breaths while staying still can help. It keep your focus off of the anxiety. You can consider purchasing some essential oils. Those really help. They have some for Stress, sleep and anxiety to name a few. A few drops around your wrist and around your neck and temple does the trick. I recommend the oils.

Stay Strong and Calm. I hope your sibling is Ok. Be strong for them too And Good luck
thanks.

i did the essential oils route around 5 years ago. they stopped working after a short while....

AIIOW3VERYT_8N5H47EE
the demon is the healer
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:13 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
First thing to establish I guess was it a serious attempt or a cry for help, or attention seeking behavior, maybe an external influence involved, some form of abuse/bullying etc, I have experience in my family of the cry for help & attention seeking variety, these kinds usually involved some sort of overdose or poison, serious attempts usually involve more lethal methods, but not always of course as the former can be lethal if executed properly, there's not much you can do unfortunately unless the individual actually is willing or able to help themselves, of course consult the professionals & maybe councilling & medication but again it's usually not a cure to maybe deep seated issues, unless the person is able to help themselves, not much you can do only maybe be kind & listen.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
the knowledge void

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
First thing to establish I guess was it a serious attempt or a cry for help, or attention seeking behavior, maybe an external influence involved, some form of abuse/bullying etc, I have experience in my family of the cry for help & attention seeking variety, these kinds usually involved some sort of overdose or poison, serious attempts usually involve more lethal methods, but not always of course as the former can be lethal if executed properly, there's not much you can do unfortunately unless the individual actually is willing or able to help themselves, of course consult the professionals & maybe councilling & medication but again it's usually not a cure to maybe deep seated issues, unless the person is able to help themselves, not much you can do only maybe be kind & listen.

I don't know. but there is a good chance that it was a cry for help. It sounded lethal from their own description, but the person who discovered it says it wasn't. I wasn't there so I have no idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:05 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
How are things going?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:50 AM
experimental sincerity

A risky thing to give out advice on, but I'll try...

1. Self care. Is there anyone you can talk to about this? A therapist/friend/etc. You might not feel that there is anything to talk about, in which case it's useful to seriously ask yourself some questions and give thoughtful answers: how did this make you feel? what are your greatest fears? what is within your power to do?. If you can't afford a therapist and don't have a friend, asking someone on SAS to lend you an ear and ask you some of these questions could be a good idea. It's not so you get *answers*, but just so you have a chance to process what happened and your own feelings about it. Alternatively, you could write, either as stream of consciousness or by posing questions to yourself.

2. Your sibling. When you feel you can, see your sibling. Is s/he hospitalised? Dropping by doesn't mean that you have to talk about what happened or to talk at all. Bring something s/he likes or just a flower, if you want. Personally, I would not ask or say anything about the suicide attempt because s/he is dealing with a lot of emotional heaviness as is.

You can't stop someone who wants to die from dying. It's not your decision and not your responsibility. The best thing you can do is be present for this person. A text or a call every so often could be helpful. Hopefully, it makes the person feel less alone and they might turn to you if they need to talk. However, they might not - matters of life and death can be intensely personal. You cannot save someone unless they want you to.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
the knowledge void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchness View Post
How are things going?
Sibling is likely still alive as they do not live alone.
but have not contacted any family members since i made this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
1. Self care. Is there anyone you can talk to about this? A therapist/friend/etc. You might not feel that there is anything to talk about, in which case it's useful to seriously ask yourself some questions and give thoughtful answers: how did this make you feel? what are your greatest fears? what is within your power to do?. If you can't afford a therapist and don't have a friend, asking someone on SAS to lend you an ear and ask you some of these questions could be a good idea. It's not so you get *answers*, but just so you have a chance to process what happened and your own feelings about it. Alternatively, you could write, either as stream of consciousness or by posing questions to yourself.
this is excellent advice, i will save it on my puter.

well i vented to a coworker (someone who's "been there, done that.")
and i made this thread
and stuff

Quote:
2. Your sibling. When you feel you can, see your sibling. Is s/he hospitalised? Dropping by doesn't mean that you have to talk about what happened or to talk at all. Bring something s/he likes or just a flower, if you want. Personally, I would not ask or say anything about the suicide attempt because s/he is dealing with a lot of emotional heaviness as is.
i will try to be more available for them. thanks for explaining what i should do.

EDIT: forgot to answer - they are not hospitalised.
Quote:
You can't stop someone who wants to die from dying. It's not your decision and not your responsibility.
mm. i'm okay with that. i'm pro-euthanasia. obviously if it happens i will be forever changed, but that emotional response is not a reason to try and force another person to stay alive for my sake.
i'd be happier knowing they aren't in pain anymore.

that said, i'm not going to "sit idly by" so to speak.

Quote:
The best thing you can do is be present for this person. A text or a call every so often could be helpful. Hopefully, it makes the person feel less alone and they might turn to you if they need to talk. However, they might not - matters of life and death can be intensely personal. You cannot save someone unless they want you to.
i think i'm being present, but i will watch myself. we text each other every other day or so.
i will exert myself to be more supportive.

i appreciate your input very much.

AIIOW3VERYT_8N5H47EE
the demon is the healer
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:33 PM
Benevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
Sorry to hear that @versikk .

I don't really have anything to add to what @rabidfoxes has already said.

Wishing she had a mindblowing GUI

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page