My one ear feels plugged up off and on. Is it cancer or just allergies? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My one ear feels plugged up off and on. Is it cancer or just allergies?

Is it possible it's cancer or something. My ear feels plugged up off and on. Not really if it could be ear wax or allergies. Do allergies effect only one ear and not the other. Seems like some days it's worse than other, but it's usually the worst when I'm laying down. I'm not experience any other systems of anything like cancer. No ear pain, dizziness.

The hearing loss is off and on, just when it feels plugged up other than that it's pretty normal.

Rarely get ringing in ears.
Rarely get headaches.
No moles in the ear area that could become cancer.

It's weird my ear has been bugging me for most of the ear. It seems like it's allergies, but it's only effecting one ear and it's been feeling like it's plugged up. It seems like seems like it's like it's a lot worse when I lay down. Also it seems to effect my mom on the same days that effects me. At least on the days I'm complaining about it.
This has been bugging me for around 7 months this year. It also happened to me last year, but stopped during winter.

Am I just worrying too much. Is it just allergies, if it is can allergies effect just one ear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 05:44 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
for most of the ear

do you have one of those ear scraper things? asians like to use them.

could be a pimple or something

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 02:03 AM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
My ears sometimes get plugged, but it's a side-effect of Meniere's and comes with vertigo, tinnitus, and hearing loss. It's possible you just have wax build-up.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 03:11 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
It's probably not cancer (though it could be almost anything, TBH). But I also wouldn't just brush it off. You want to go to the doctor with persistent problems like this if you can.

My mother had a persistent problem with her ear. Kept complaining it felt plugged up. Occasionally she'd go to the doctor and they'd give her antibiotics and send her home. She'd stop taking them and wait a while and go back to the doctor and they'd give her antibiotics again and send her home again. Eventually, whatever it was spread to her brain and she ended up in ICU and almost died. Apparently it became meningitis. Though we're still not really sure what the hell happened.

All we know for sure is that it started with plugged ear complaint and ended with almost dead and in the hospital for a month and bat**** crazy for almost a year after that before kinda sane behavior resumed.

Don't mess around. Go to the doctor. And make sure they understand this is a persistent problem. And be careful because they will probably try to write you off as a hypochondriac if you say one wrong word or they get the wrong idea. And if they do conclude that it's an infection and give you antibiotics, don't stop taking them early (not that most people would anyway). My mother seems to be convinced that medicine doesn't work and it almost cost her her life.

/WYSD
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 03:17 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Cancers a big leap, better to start small & work up with the diagnosis, could be some sort of ear infection.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 06:38 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakingout View Post
Is it possible it's cancer or something.

Also it seems to effect my mom on the same days that effects me. .

That would be a very tragic "what are the chances of that happening"

When I'm on the street people are like "yo, SFC01 is the ****". Yeah I know !
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 07:08 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
And also, it's not unusual to have a problem in only one ear, since they are separate from one another and the only thing they really are both connected to is your head. They are not connected internally.

/WYSD
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 05:34 PM
SAS Member

Ear-wax.

Go to the doctor.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 06:10 PM
SAS Member

Most likely it's just ear wax. When I was a kid I had a lot of trouble with ears clogging with wax. I still do sometimes. About every 5 years I have to go to the doctor and have them flushed out. It makes a huge difference when they get cleaned, I can hear so much better. My ears don't always clog at the same time.

Last time I went they took a machine with a water hose and flushed them out into a small container. Then in another room the doctor took a tool and scraped out whatever was still in there. In the past I went to a doctor that used a syringe and a container of warm water to flush them.

Also sometimes when I get headaches it affects my ears. Often it coincides with neck aches from my neck down to my shoulders. It feels like my ears need to be popped and behind the ears feel tender. So that could be a cause too. Sometimes this comes along with runny nose and allergies.

I'd say still most likely just earwax.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page