Multiplayer Gaming Anxiety - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 11:52 AM
(K)Joe + Joi

The last game I was doing online multiplayer on was Splatoon 2. I appreciate that they have a mode where you can play cooperatively against computer enemies as that feels much less tense. Still I hate using bandwidth on games too much because I don't want to get bandwidth throttled while doing other stuff. Plus I prefer single player.

"Even when you're hopeless, hope is all you have." - Fear The Walking Dead

"The moon is a friend for the lonesome to talk to." - Carl Sandburg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Indeed View Post
I was at the level of pro players when I was younger.

I was always super anxious when playing, and the way to get more comfortable is just by playing more. In every game there is some kind of ranking system. You have to beat level X people a certain amount of times, before you get comfortable playing with them. After that you get nervous playing with people that is level X + 1, and you have to beat them an amount of number of times before you get comfortable playing with them, and so on and so on. The nerves will go away because you have beat them so many times you can trust yourself do to it again (Kind of like SA exposure therapy).

Yeah that nervousness is what gets in the way of your playing ability. If you can get over that, then you'll perform to the best of your abilities. And the best way to do that is by having fun in the game. Whenever I play just to win, I find that I can't enjoy the game. But when I enter that mindset where I play the game to enjoy it, and it doesn't bother me that much if I win or lose, then I play well.

Also depending on what game you're playing, it depends on how you play it. Lets say you're playing an online competitive shooter game. There are two ways you can play it - Making sure you don't get killed (playing defensively) or killing everyone before they kill you (playing offensively). Sometimes playing offensively increases your odds of winning. Because there is fear and anxiety associated with playing defense.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:28 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDuck View Post
Yeah that nervousness is what gets in the way of your playing ability. If you can get over that, then you'll perform to the best of your abilities. And the best way to do that is by having fun in the game. Whenever I play just to win, I find that I can't enjoy the game. But when I enter that mindset where I play the game to enjoy it, and it doesn't bother me that much if I win or lose, then I play well.

Also depending on what game you're playing, it depends on how you play it. Lets say you're playing an online competitive shooter game. There are two ways you can play it - Making sure you don't get killed (playing defensively) or killing everyone before they kill you (playing offensively). Sometimes playing offensively increases your odds of winning. Because there is fear and anxiety associated with playing defense.

From what you're saying it definitely sounds like some sort of performance anxiety. In Starcraft they coined the term"ladder anxiety" due to the fixation on improving in both rank and skill causing players to freeze under pressure.

CBT can probably help, I'm currently looking for a CBT therapist but haven't found one yet.

Additionally, if the problem under pressure is your motor skills then perhaps a beta blocker like Propranolol can help. A lot of professional musicians, surgeons, and supposedly even professional gamers use beta blockers to keep their hands steady. I'd consider looking into it, it's relatively harmless unless you have asthma or low blood pressure

Dx: BP1 w/ psychotic fx, Social Anxiety Disorder, OCD, Body Dysmorphia
Rx: Depakote 750mg, Seroquel 400mg, Luvox 150mg, Gabapentin 600mg x3. 10mg Propranolol x3

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: Enlgish
Id like to be able to take a 30 min nap or a 10 min power nap after lunch.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFyYing View Post
From what you're saying it definitely sounds like some sort of performance anxiety. In Starcraft they coined the term"ladder anxiety" due to the fixation on improving in both rank and skill causing players to freeze under pressure.

CBT can probably help, I'm currently looking for a CBT therapist but haven't found one yet.

Additionally, if the problem under pressure is your motor skills then perhaps a beta blocker like Propranolol can help. A lot of professional musicians, surgeons, and supposedly even professional gamers use beta blockers to keep their hands steady. I'd consider looking into it, it's relatively harmless unless you have asthma or low blood pressure

Yeah its performance anxiety. I get the same thing when I record myself playing guitar. When I play guitar to jam and have fun, I play really well. But when I hit that record button, there's a performance anxiety that kicks in and prevents me from playing naturally.

I don't have any physical symptoms, so I'm not sure of if a beta blocker would help me. This is more of a psychological thing.

CBT can help. Changing your thought patterns can help. You can perform CBT on your own too in some cases, depending on what your problem is

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page