mixed astigmatism/ binocular vision problems - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

mixed astigmatism/ binocular vision problems

Hey,

I am writing this post as for around the past 4years I have had problems with my eyes.. not the vision side, I've had the tests for that and my vision is good, also they said I don't need glasses but I got some just mainly for reading and when my eyes get tired.

What they said was that i have mixed astigatism (where my right eyes astigmatism is a little worse then the left but the both have it too some degree, just slightly more in the right eye).

The problem I have been having is a comfort issue more than anything, over the past few years I have noticed my eyes often feeling tired, even after a good sleep and proper nutrition ( I'm quiet a health freak so good with that). Upon noticing this I have tried too work out a way too relieve some of this, and i realized that my left eye (the one with a lesser degree of astigmatism) is definitely my stronger eye (dominate eye) which i seem too use a lot more and gets tired out. So basically both eyes don't work very good together (binocular vision).

This extra use of the left eye has left my right eyebrow lower down than my left eyebrow and seems too put my off balance slightly and i do walk slightly leaning too one side and often tilt my head too one side.. being in too fitness this has lead too unbalanced symetrical muscle on either side ( not enough for anyone too really notice, just I can feel it in many ways and how my body rest.)

So basically this is my starting point on working on this.. So I have noticed it gets quiet abit worse when i'm tired, had a drink, or under stress/ anxiety. or even the sertraline which i have recently started taking seems too be exhagerating the condition. But also even when none of the both and I can feel my left eye straining from over use this makes me anxious as I'm pretty sure other people can tell theres something so it's one big cycle that I can't seem too crack by myself.

So I was hoping maybe someone on here can relate too any of this and may be able too enlighten me a little further?? and or maybe any tips on improving binocular vision. thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 05:24 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
I have something similar. I didn't realize it had a name, but the astigmatism in my left eye is worse than the astigmatism in my right eye. I have noticed that it's harder for my eyes to focus when I'm tired, although I haven't noticed that it's changed my physical appearance at all or the way I walk.

Have you talked to your optometrist? When I was a kid, I was told that I needed to do specific exercises to strengthen my eyes. Of course, since I was just a kid, I didn't do them and so I don't know if they would have helped me or not. I'm sure a professional would know, though.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny she’s reaching for

- Marie Curie
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:01 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Don't they have contacts for astigmatism now? Do some research and you might find someone who specializes in this, either ophthalmologist or optometrist.

Myself, I am very nearsighted and on top of that have 4th cranial nerve palsy that makes my left eye not track with my right eye, so I'm often walking around with double vision. Over the years, I've just become used to it, and my right eye is dominant so I barely notice the different image from my left eye. If I really need to see with both eyes, I can blink a couple times and get it back right again. I too, tilt my head a little to compensate as it happens less when I'm looking to the left. I've had no issues with leaning or becoming unbalanced, however.

My new issue is that because of my nearsightedness and age, it seems my vitreous is liquifying and I suffered a torn retina last December. I've been having laser treatments for it, but it caused a bunch of new annoying floaters along with flickering and flashing from the treated area.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestar View Post
I have something similar. I didn't realize it had a name, but the astigmatism in my left eye is worse than the astigmatism in my right eye. I have noticed that it's harder for my eyes to focus when I'm tired, although I haven't noticed that it's changed my physical appearance at all or the way I walk.

Have you talked to your optometrist? When I was a kid, I was told that I needed to do specific exercises to strengthen my eyes. Of course, since I was just a kid, I didn't do them and so I don't know if they would have helped me or not. I'm sure a professional would know, though.
I think mixed astigmastim is actually that in both my eyes there's both longsighted and short sighted mandrine or what ever it's called as oppose too just the one, but the dominate eye can be caused by multiple different things, which is what i want too correct mainly (binocular vision). I have been too an optrition but all they said was my eyes are good is just the comfort thing but I never mentioned how my one eye is used more than the other because it wasn't untill i started looking in too this properly after that that I realized exactly what was occurring tbh.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBoz View Post
Don't they have contacts for astigmatism now? Do some research and you might find someone who specializes in this, either ophthalmologist or optometrist.

Myself, I am very nearsighted and on top of that have 4th cranial nerve palsy that makes my left eye not track with my right eye, so I'm often walking around with double vision. Over the years, I've just become used to it, and my right eye is dominant so I barely notice the different image from my left eye. If I really need to see with both eyes, I can blink a couple times and get it back right again. I too, tilt my head a little to compensate as it happens less when I'm looking to the left. I've had no issues with leaning or becoming unbalanced, however.

My new issue is that because of my nearsightedness and age, it seems my vitreous is liquifying and I suffered a torn retina last December. I've been having laser treatments for it, but it caused a bunch of new annoying floaters along with flickering and flashing from the treated area.
They do have contacts for astigmatism now yes, I was told they had the perscription close too my right eye but the left eye had to good a vision to correct with contacts it would actually be slightly worse.. Yeah it's not so much blurred vision or anything as like you my dominate eye is the main eye I see through. I'm really trying too figure out a way too start using both eyes more simultaneously in a binocular vision way, too feel more centered.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page