Maladaptive daydreaming (MD)- fantasy stories in your head - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:35 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesuszilla View Post
So can any of you "see" your fantasies. For example when I'm driving home from work I can look at the skyline and see things play out. Obviously it's not there but I can still say robots destroying the city it gets intense
I see it only in my head. And even there it's almost like I just feel it more than I actually see it (though I'm quite good at visualization--somebody makes a ludicrous statement, like say my dad saying our cat is graceful like a ballerina, and BAM, I have this clear mental image of my cat in a pink tutu ).

I'm very poor with visualizing human faces or the faces of my characters, though...facial expressions, yes, but actual facial characteristics, no. I find this terribly frustrating, seeing as I'd love to be able to draw my characters. I'm the same way with real human faces. And even though I visualize, say, settings clearly in my head, I seem largely unable to translate those into artwork. Which also sucks...I have some lovely images in my head.

When I'm staring off into space and seeing things, those images don't superimpose over/interact with the reality around me; rather, I lose track of what's really in front of me and see only what's in my head (I think I commented earlier in here or another thread about how I can be staring at a TV but not seeing a thing on the screen).

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:53 PM
mfd
Cured :) Farewell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Sometimes I would record myself doing my characters' voices on audiocassette.
Extortion material!

Quote:
Ha, me tooooooo. I think I spend more time filling out character profiles and buying books on character development than I spend actually writing stories.
I probably spend more time on the planning part as well It's almost as though the freedom disappears when it's written or drawn, because it sets that course of events in stone, rather than it being left open-ended

That's kind of silly because realistically they could be rewritten or redrawn, but I never do it. It feels like it would ruin the enjoyment to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesuszilla View Post
So can any of you "see" your fantasies. For example when I'm driving home from work I can look at the skyline and see things play out. Obviously it's not there but I can still say robots destroying the city it gets intense
I don't see it as it being there in front of me, but exactly like tehuti88 described my actual visual information will stop registering, and what I'm imagining in my head will become what I'll see.

When I'm able to get really into it I can visualize to the point of actually feeling the physical sensations, like wind, touch, or experience scents, or even sound. Sometimes my mind will even create a soundtrack alongside what I'm imagining, but I can never seem to retain the melodies. Which is a shame because some were pretty good.
post #43 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 AM
Cosmic Hobo

I daydream a lot as well, but I find it off-putting that it has negative connotations as apparent in this thread. I find it a great boon as a writer, I consider it a gift. I can imagine it being a great boon as many other types of artists and thinkers as well. Writing is my greatest passion in life, and I hope to make a living out of it.

Like some of you(JesusZilla) my visualization ability is also highly developed, mostly from practice, but somewhat it is a natural gift for me. I find this a great boon as well. The ability to overlay visualizations over physical vision is a trait in many ancient spiritual practices that is considered the result of a high level of development.

I do suppose lack of control is another thing though, but I also do have to wonder if one would really want to have perfect control over such a gift, else random inspiration would not strike!

An experiment for someone who wants to try it, when you are having one of these seemingly uncontrolled daydreams put a gentle focus on your physical body, at your lower abdomen, your center of gravity. See if that brings you back to full physical awareness. (It's a Buddhist and Taoist meditation technique.)

post #44 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:52 AM
Father, Son & Holyzilla

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
I see it only in my head. And even there it's almost like I just feel it more than I actually see it (though I'm quite good at visualization--somebody makes a ludicrous statement, like say my dad saying our cat is graceful like a ballerina, and BAM, I have this clear mental image of my cat in a pink tutu ).
That's pretty cool actually.

Quote:
I'm very poor with visualizing human faces or the faces of my characters, though...facial expressions, yes, but actual facial characteristics, no. I find this terribly frustrating, seeing as I'd love to be able to draw my characters. I'm the same way with real human faces. And even though I visualize, say, settings clearly in my head, I seem largely unable to translate those into artwork. Which also sucks...I have some lovely images in my head. .
I have an issue drawing my characters out as well and it is frustrating as hell. I can visualize faces and emotions I just can not put it on paper. The writing part is easy drawing is not
post #45 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 04:27 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

I definitely have this, only without specific fantasy stories or characters. But I have the intense visualizations, that I compare to the video game Zelda/Ocarina of Time 64. Very medieval in tone yet bright. Will also have sepiatone fantasies like this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw8wJQi05Ws

As far as music, if I listen to Dream Theater, it puts me in a different world. One time I listened to their Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence CD from beginning to end and had this big daydream in my head that I was in a sunny field with this woman I made up in my head and we were just sitting there enjoying the weather and atmosphere lol.

I sometimes wish I had full access to these fantasies and there was a virtual reality program that I could tap into when I felt like escaping.

I also have this intense fantasy of making love with a woman at night and going to bed with her, waking up with her the next morning with her wearing my shirt and making coffee. I suppose that's a normal fantasy, but the way it plays out in my head, it's like it's out of a movie.
post #46 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Scream Queen.

Does that mean acting to.
I mean when I have time, I act out whatever "story" I have planned.
They change from time to time. They never really have an ending. I think it's a stress relief

~Dream Warriors!~

"You donít just give up. You donít just let things happen. You make a stand! You say no! You have the guts to do whatís right, even when everyone else just runs away." -Rose Tyler in Doctor Who
post #47 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by human after all View Post
Maybe if I didn't see a video I casually bumped onto on Youtube today, I would've spent my whole life not knowing what's wrong with me besides SA and depression. I thought I was the only one doing this, because no one speaks about it out of shame and it's still researched by psychologists, although you can still find some documentation online. I'm hoping I can bring this to your attention, who knows if someone has it and doesn't know, and if you have it, we can talk about it.
Excessive daydreaming may begin as an outlet for creativity or as a method of escaping trauma or abuse. The daydreamers experience very vivid and intricate fantasies and may become emotionally attached to the characters in their fantasies or express emotions they are feeling through vocal utterances or changing facial expressions, although most keep such behavior hidden from others. People with Maladaptive Daydreaming are different from schizophrenics, they know the difference between reality and fantasy; they realize that everything they are dreaming about is a fantasy. [They simply have trouble stopping daydreaming and focusing on regular tasks.] Some also exhibit symptoms similar to Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD or OCD.

Many people have social anxiety and/or depression along with maladaptive daydreaming. A large number also find their social lives are negatively impacted by this disorder. 79% of those self-identified as having excessive daydreams had a kinesthetic repetitive movement accompany their daydreaming, such as pacing, rocking, tapping, or shaking an object. Many others also move their hands around and make facial expressions: laughing, crying, whispering, and gesturing with hands [because they are trying to impersonate the characters themselves]. Listening to music while daydreaming is common and hearing music may trigger a fantasy. A repetitive movement may be articulated to music while daydreaming. Watching a movie or reading a book, can also trigger a fantasy.

Many people have novel or movie type fantasies. They create their own world [sometimes more than one] , with characters, settings, plots, heroes, villains, friends, etc. -- they also may imagine storylines using the characters or settings from already existing works of fiction.

Some people have reported dizziness, headaches and other physical symptoms after daydreaming. [Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maladaptive_daydreaming].

Now I've been having this from when I was about 5 or 6. I would rock in bed, while imagining being someone else, like impersonating the different characters my "stories" have. I would often imagine myself as being a succesful person, like a rockstar or a motivational speaker (I know right, ironically I'm the exact opposite) etc. I have episodes mostly when I go to sleep or wake up or trying to have a nap in the afternoon. That would often left me drained of energy or steal me precious sleep.

I use it as an escape for reality, as a way to cope with the fact that I have no friends and my life sucks. But it's dangerous because it steals you time energy and motivation (you would rather daydream instead of actually do something for your benefit) and can make you more depressed and isolated. It's an addiction, it can be treated like that.

A site to know more about it and find people like us:http://wildminds.ning.com/
Holy **** dude you described my life to the point I'd almost think wtf are you stalking me or something. I have aspergers but I always daydreamed wa more then others with aspergers. Also I'm the quietest among my as friends. I've daydreamed my whole life infact most of the day at school I hang out alone and create these elaborate stories which I am in.
post #48 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 12:27 AM
SAS Member

It started happening to me more almost out of no where these past few weeks, but I think it may have to do with me having more time on my hands since the semester ended and my brain is no longer on math equations . I think the daydreaming began for me when I was about 12. When I was 20 I started to write short stories, and wrote a book already with one of my main daydreams I would always think about!! I kind of think its cool now..but yeah hopefully I can tame it a bit, today at work I noticed I was zoning out :/

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
post #49 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 06:19 PM
SAS Member

I think that I definitely have this. I have been doing this since I was a little girl. I imagine things like I am a big musician who has tons of friends and a very exciting life. Some of the people I know in my real life are in this fantasy and some fictional people as well. I find it almost therapeutic to think about when I am in situations where I feel uncomfortable or high anxiety in. It goes away after awhile too(the fantasy) and then comes back into my mind. Certain things trigger it like songs in particularly.
post #50 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 PM
SAS Member

I'm jealous you guys have such vivid imagination. Icould'nt create a fantasy land if I wanted to . It's a gift.
post #51 of 336 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:22 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by human after all View Post
Maybe if I didn't see a video I casually bumped onto on Youtube today, I would've spent my whole life not knowing what's wrong with me besides SA and depression. I thought I was the only one doing this, because no one speaks about it out of shame and it's still researched by psychologists, although you can still find some documentation online. I'm hoping I can bring this to your attention, who knows if someone has it and doesn't know, and if you have it, we can talk about it.
Excessive daydreaming may begin as an outlet for creativity or as a method of escaping trauma or abuse. The daydreamers experience very vivid and intricate fantasies and may become emotionally attached to the characters in their fantasies or express emotions they are feeling through vocal utterances or changing facial expressions, although most keep such behavior hidden from others. People with Maladaptive Daydreaming are different from schizophrenics, they know the difference between reality and fantasy; they realize that everything they are dreaming about is a fantasy. [They simply have trouble stopping daydreaming and focusing on regular tasks.] Some also exhibit symptoms similar to Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD or OCD.

Many people have social anxiety and/or depression along with maladaptive daydreaming. A large number also find their social lives are negatively impacted by this disorder. 79% of those self-identified as having excessive daydreams had a kinesthetic repetitive movement accompany their daydreaming, such as pacing, rocking, tapping, or shaking an object. Many others also move their hands around and make facial expressions: laughing, crying, whispering, and gesturing with hands [because they are trying to impersonate the characters themselves]. Listening to music while daydreaming is common and hearing music may trigger a fantasy. A repetitive movement may be articulated to music while daydreaming. Watching a movie or reading a book, can also trigger a fantasy.

Many people have novel or movie type fantasies. They create their own world [sometimes more than one] , with characters, settings, plots, heroes, villains, friends, etc. -- they also may imagine storylines using the characters or settings from already existing works of fiction.

Some people have reported dizziness, headaches and other physical symptoms after daydreaming. [Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maladaptive_daydreaming].

Now I've been having this from when I was about 5 or 6. I would rock in bed, while imagining being someone else, like impersonating the different characters my "stories" have. I would often imagine myself as being a succesful person, like a rockstar or a motivational speaker (I know right, ironically I'm the exact opposite) etc. I have episodes mostly when I go to sleep or wake up or trying to have a nap in the afternoon. That would often left me drained of energy or steal me precious sleep.

I use it as an escape for reality, as a way to cope with the fact that I have no friends and my life sucks. But it's dangerous because it steals you time energy and motivation (you would rather daydream instead of actually do something for your benefit) and can make you more depressed and isolated. It's an addiction, it can be treated like that.

A site to know more about it and find people like us:http://wildminds.ning.com/
Within the last few weeks I had a casual look around for something of me that... well... that little something that seemed a bit different than everyone else I guess. When you're so used to something that is a part of you, that doesn't really cause problems (actually this... MD.. I find is beneficial in ways), one doesn't always look for a descriptor, or indeed a solution. Even in todays world, many still shy away from 'labels'. Still facing up to something that I have known has existed since I was a child has brought me here after very limited searching. Some of the things discussed in the OP's post resonates so strongly with me that I was gobsmacks and almost embarrassed.... as if someone has watched me all these years and write a little summary of me.

Still it's nice to know I'm not utterly alone in the Universe. Your handle is apt 'human after all', indeed.

As I mentioned earlier, my particular symptoms can be beneficial. Goal setting. You can call much of my Daydreams 'Aspirational Daydreams'. I dream of having a better job, Better level of fitness, carrying out explicit sexual fantasies... basically dreaming about somebody I want to be or a situation I want to be in. The Daydreaming itself attaches a strong emotional element to this new somebody. They are goals and things that are realistically achievable in my dreams... not all the time, but much of the time.... and when these have in fact been achieved, the emotional attachment to the dreams and fantasy which I have, are relived.... this time at a more concious REAL level. And when it happens, the return on this dream investment, if you will, is truly ecstatic.

I feel fortunate reading briefly about other's experiences... it doesn't control a huge amount of time in my life. I can stop it. And I only feel the compulsion to Daydream with music mostly and other quiet times of the day. The one thing which I don't like about it is the need to have some sort of physical activity, and the need to have ... alone time. I try to burn this need up by running with my mp3 player. And it works a good deal but not 100%: It makes we want to have some alone time occasionally to have a little dream to myself.

Other day dreaming subjects which often come to mind are when I hear about bad situations in the News. I daydream that I'm the person relevant, and I dream that I fix whatever situation is particularly annoying on that News... like some war situation I dream that I'm the 'man in charge' and I end it, or bring justice somewhere or some other altruistic type dream.

Overall, notwithstanding the compulsive side to it, and the need for a repetitive type activity, and alone time, it hasn't been a negative part of me, personally. I would say somewhat the opposite. Allowing me to live out something in someone else's shoes helps greatly with developing my empathy. Trying to feel what the other person may think if I daydream his/her life or feelings.

I hope it has made me a better person.
post #52 of 336 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 PM
SAS Member

I'm glad I saw this thread. It's nice to know that one of the things that's wrong with me has a name. Daydreaming keeps me up at night. I usually listen to music when I daydream and I have to pace. I hate that it takes up so much of my time and is such a big distraction, but its addicting.

The fact that I like my fantasies so much more than reality makes me feel ashamed. I don't really know how to fix it but I feel like I'm going to waste away the rest of my life.
post #53 of 336 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 PM
SAS Member

Does anyone feel (with their daydreams) that along with the escapism of it all that they find comfort in it and makes them feel better such as someone comfort eating will lift their mood for the brief time it does?
I like day dreaming and I di it alot but I also look forward to it in a way, especially when lying in bed it makes me feel better to play myself as someone else i.e more confident.
post #54 of 336 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 PM
I am a wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner7 View Post
Does anyone feel (with their daydreams) that along with the escapism of it all that they find comfort in it and makes them feel better such as someone comfort eating will lift their mood for the brief time it does?
I like day dreaming and I di it alot but I also look forward to it in a way, especially when lying in bed it makes me feel better to play myself as someone else i.e more confident.
If it didn't make me feel better I wouldn't do it enough for it to be maladaptive, I guess. It's absolutely a relief to get a break from the boring crap of normal life by spending your time in a fantasy, but I'm sure my life wouldn't be so crappy in the first place if I didn't have daydreaming as a crutch.

December 17th. The Wildhearts. March 19th. The Gaslight Anthem. April 12th. The Ataris.
April 18th. Don Broco. April 25th. Lower Than Atlantis. May 24th. Rush. June 8th. The Stone Roses.
I'm just jealous cause you're young and in love..
post #55 of 336 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 PM
SAS Member

I love this disorder as much as I hate it. It is both a gift and a curse for me. On one hand it makes me feel even more alienated and alone but then it is there to comfort me. I can be someone be something and have a girlfriend who won't hurt me and friends who would die for me. It's like virtually filling an empty shell I guess.

Fear is the price of our instrument ~ Hannibal Lecter
post #56 of 336 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Artest, Christian, Trans

First I would just like to point out to all of those who said "I had this since I was a kid..." No, you didn't. When you're a kid it's called "Pretending" and it's actually good for you. It's when you carry it over into your adult life, let it interfere with said adult life, and can't stop doing it that it becomes a problem and bad for you. well unless your a writer/artist then it works for you so it's not bad... it can still cause issues with making friends and having a social life though :/ I know because I have this problem. It doesn't really effect me adversely because I'm a cartoonist (or at least that's what I wanna be when I get out of collage) but it does take up valuable time that I could be spending doing other, slightly more impotent things. And it also interfeers with my social life because I have on occasion wanted to stay home and daydream instead of going out on the weekend, which isn't good for me.
post #57 of 336 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 PM
SAS Member

^I don't understand why you disagree with those who say they have had this since they were a kid. Even as a child, you can spend so much time daydreaming in your own made up world, that it interferes with your life (i.e. school and the social/emotional bonds you should be forming.) In large enough doses, I think it begins to cause more harm than good, even as a child.
post #58 of 336 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 04:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireMeadow View Post
First I would just like to point out to all of those who said "I had this since I was a kid..." No, you didn't. When you're a kid it's called "Pretending" and it's actually good for you. It's when you carry it over into your adult life, let it interfere with said adult life, and can't stop doing it that it becomes a problem and bad for you. well unless your a writer/artist then it works for you so it's not bad... it can still cause issues with making friends and having a social life though :/ I know because I have this problem. It doesn't really effect me adversely because I'm a cartoonist (or at least that's what I wanna be when I get out of collage) but it does take up valuable time that I could be spending doing other, slightly more impotent things. And it also interfeers with my social life because I have on occasion wanted to stay home and daydream instead of going out on the weekend, which isn't good for me.
Yes, I've had it as a kid. Does every kid sit in bed sitting on there hands having repetitive motions while imagining things? Isn't this a part of the symptoms of MD for some people?

Nosce te ipsum - Know Thyself
post #59 of 336 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner7 View Post
Mine doesn't make me feel better/comforted or more confident or anything, but it's definitely more interesting than dwelling in the real world or mulling over my loneliness. (I don't really "look forward" to daydreaming, since it's just automatic for me. I also don't tend to daydream about myself.)

I used to do something when I was younger--put myself in the head of a character of mine who could handle stressful situations better--and take strength from them so I could cope with things. In a limited capacity, that activity did make me feel better and more confident. Unfortunately, I convinced myself this was an unhealthy thing to do and to stop doing it, and don't know how to do it anymore.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #60 of 336 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Ph.D in Stupid Ideas

Oh my goodness, there's a name for this! This literally ruined my life as a teenager, I got so into it. I'm putting my story here so hopefully people will learn from my mistake and not also get too into it.

I hated my life as a teenager. I had SA back then and got made fun of and bullied constantly, so I started daydreaming a good life to combat my anxiety and depression. When I came home from school I would go right to my bed and lay down on my back and go into my little headworld. I'd usually act out certain things using my hands or my facial expressions without realizing it (making kissy faces and huggy hands during a romantic story, yep)

I had characters with deep intricate personalities and I'd often put them into situations with characters from my favourite shows (at the time I was just getting into anime, so it was mostly Sailor Moon and such) They'd live out whole lives, and I'd put in drama around every corner, and I would just lay there all evening and night. Sometimes I'd play music on my headphones and daydream of karaoke bars or concerts. Once the next day came, I'd put my story on pause, go to my classes thinking about nothing but what things I'd do with my characters next. I'd forgo things like dinner and homework, only to have a feast with the "family" in my head. When one story ended (usually after a month) I'd start up a new one from the beginning.

I withdrew more and more and soon I was drawing out my characters and floorplans and entire maps of planets and wound up with a set unchanging universe with a story that didn't end. One day I was sitting in class and I could hear their voices, clear as day, and soon I began to see my "friends" walking next to me and doing whatever in the physical world even when I wasn't daydreaming. I couldn't turn them off, but they would talk to me and I felt it was "better for me" since I was actually in the real world rather than daydreaming.

Soon some of my more villainous evil characters popped up and I started freaking out and unable to tell their voices apart from those around me, so I knew I had to put a stop to it before I went into full-on schizophrenia.

Long story short, I went to see a psychologist and he worked with me to help me stop daydreaming so much, and once I stopped daydreaming the visual and vocal hallucinations began to fade. Nowadays I still daydream, but I'm very careful and keep a strict time table. One hour of daydreaming either in the morning by waking up early, or at night by getting into bed early. It's my little meditation time. Most of my daydreams are short stories that last only one or two days now, I'm afraid to go for longer, and they usually involve ideas I come up with for my fanfiction for Doctor Who, Supernatural, or Sherlock Other times, if I've got my headphones on, it's just me flying to music or riding dinosaurs across the tundra to Bach or whatever.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page