Maladaptive daydreaming (MD)- fantasy stories in your head - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
SAS Member

^ I studied anthropology in part because I have always been interested in ethnobotany and appropriate technology (e.g. living properly on whatever land you're in) and I fantasized like you did when I was little, that I lived in a village and gathered medicines, etc. I buried things and made little altars and I wasn't really able to accept contemporary life. Seemed so profoundly empty in comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 AM
SAS Member

Any room in this boat for one more?

Fear is the price of our instrument ~ Hannibal Lecter
post #23 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 11:13 AM
SAS Member

I've been daydreaming since I was around 6 too, when The Moffats still existed. But still normal for the so-called imaginative kid /s. Started from when I was 15, I developed an attachment to people that don't exist. Sometimes I thought it was not normal but I've read a lot of people has characters inside their head I thought I might be overreacted.

But I'm not sure, after reading this part
"Many others also move their hands around and make facial expressions: laughing, crying, whispering, and gesturing with hands [because they are trying to impersonate the characters themselves]. Listening to music while daydreaming is common and hearing music may trigger a fantasy. A repetitive movement may be articulated to music while daydreaming. Watching a movie or reading a book, can also trigger a fantasy."
I got kinda scared, so it's not normal? Because it doesn't sound normal from the way it's written but I know i can totally relate to this.

But weirdly, I don't remember having any trauma or abuse... Is this dangerous or what?

post #24 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 12:57 PM
SAS Member

I fantasize being again a child and desiring to be with my childhood friends.
I suppose it could be a scape from the dark situation I am now.
post #25 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 03:58 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiselouisa View Post
But I'm not sure, after reading this part
"Many others also move their hands around and make facial expressions: laughing, crying, whispering, and gesturing with hands [because they are trying to impersonate the characters themselves]. Listening to music while daydreaming is common and hearing music may trigger a fantasy. A repetitive movement may be articulated to music while daydreaming. Watching a movie or reading a book, can also trigger a fantasy."
I got kinda scared, so it's not normal? Because it doesn't sound normal from the way it's written but I know i can totally relate to this.

But weirdly, I don't remember having any trauma or abuse... Is this dangerous or what?
Bold part is the same for me. I've just always had a tendency to lose myself in my imagination, as far back as I can remember; it just seems to be part of who I am.

Regarding the moving around, THAT is something I figured only I did until reading this thread and some other sources...I can't engage in actively roleplaying/pretending/"dancing" my characters anymore so I tend to listen to music I like on headphones while walking around doing my nightly/bedtime routine, only in my head, instead of closing the blinds and making my bed etc., I'm living through a movie soundtrack of one of my stories. ;_;

When I had more time on my hands, I'd go outside and pace around and around the house and property while listening to music, for the same reason, and I'd really like time to do that more often...to me it's a bit of a relief to know I'm not the only one who does such things!

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #26 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:48 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
What would be the difference between this and normal day dreaming though? I've decided that excessive daydreaming is definitely a negative thing for me and I've had to develop strategies for controlling it, it's taken me months and months of hard work. It can use up a lot of my time and make me unable to concentrate and focus on things I need to do, or otherwise want to do.

I've always attributed this to a reflex coping mechanism for dealing with extreme isolation and intense, irreconcilable emotion. Admittedly though, some of this emotion resulted from emotional trauma caused by certain events in my past.

On the flip side of the coin though, a certain amount of daydreaming is also a critical part of the creative process if you're into creative writing.
post #27 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 06:28 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shines View Post
What would be the difference between this and normal day dreaming though?
Like the difference between shyness and social anxiety disorder, I think the difference is in terms of whether it's disruptive to quality of daily life/functioning or not. This is one reason that although I engage in the same behaviors that are considered "maladaptive daydreaming," I don't consider it maladaptive for me personally since I don't have any social life or obligations for it to interfere with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shines View Post
On the flip side of the coin though, a certain amount of daydreaming is also a critical part of the creative process if you're into creative writing.
...and that there is the other reason I consider my admittedly excessive daydreaming to be more beneficial than detrimental.

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #28 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Like the difference between shyness and social anxiety disorder, I think the difference is in terms of whether it's disruptive to quality of daily life/functioning or not. This is one reason that although I engage in the same behaviors that are considered "maladaptive daydreaming," I don't consider it maladaptive for me personally since I don't have any social life or obligations for it to interfere with...

...and that there is the other reason I consider my admittedly excessive daydreaming to be more beneficial than detrimental.
I see. I mean I too find that day dreaming is an integral part of imaginative process, so spending hours on end developing characters or plot lines is definitely something that I consider to be constructive. But being plagued by vivid fantasies that reflect real life, or what I would prefer real life to resemble had certain things in my life not happened, that prevent me from sitting down, force me to keep getting up to pace and prevent me from concentrating on work certainly aren't.

But I do also feel that the mind needs a way to express itself socially during extended periods of isolation and I see the daydreaming almost as being a natural adaptation to extreme solitude. I don't personally know whether it would be more or less beneficial to absolutely block it out, part of me feels that if I did, I'd end up going numb or strange, well, stranger anyway.
post #29 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Bold part is the same for me. I've just always had a tendency to lose myself in my imagination, as far back as I can remember; it just seems to be part of who I am.

Regarding the moving around, THAT is something I figured only I did until reading this thread and some other sources...I can't engage in actively roleplaying/pretending/"dancing" my characters anymore so I tend to listen to music I like on headphones while walking around doing my nightly/bedtime routine, only in my head, instead of closing the blinds and making my bed etc., I'm living through a movie soundtrack of one of my stories. ;_;

When I had more time on my hands, I'd go outside and pace around and around the house and property while listening to music, for the same reason, and I'd really like time to do that more often...to me it's a bit of a relief to know I'm not the only one who does such things!
It's actually what makes me afraid, it's like I have a hidden trauma I don't even remember... lol

So true, I've been doing this since as far as I can remember, but the attachment, pacing, and making gestures and facial expression, it started to show when I was 15. I don't actually making expression like you could caught me making funny faces in the room, alone, it's just sometimes when the fantasy is so intense, you know it can affect your expression and you know you have to refrain yourself.

I don't fantasize about myself though, but a different person... and OH YES, PACING, I always say I love to walk around my house when I'm excited but apparently it's this. lol, I don't know but it's just so funny everything makes sense now. That's just so true, when I do it it's because my mind is actively working, I get excited and giddy so I need to take a walk lol.

And the part I like is when you're deeply engaged, you're pacing, then you stub your toe and suddenly you're brought to reality and it makes you feel like a fool.. such a party pooper
post #30 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 03:21 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Quote:
It's actually what makes me afraid, it's like I have a hidden trauma I don't even remember... lol
I sometimes have a similar worry...

Quote:
I don't fantasize about myself though, but a different person... and OH YES, PACING, I always say I love to walk around my house when I'm excited but apparently it's this. lol, I don't know but it's just so funny everything makes sense now. That's just so true, when I do it it's because my mind is actively working, I get excited and giddy so I need to take a walk lol.

And the part I like is when you're deeply engaged, you're pacing, then you stub your toe and suddenly you're brought to reality and it makes you feel like a fool.. such a party pooper
Same, I fantasize about others, never myself.

What I hate is when I'm pacing around listening to music (and imagining in my head) while getting ready for bed, and I suddenly run into one of my parents getting up to use the bathroom, and they startle me so much since I have music blaring in my ears and couldn't hear them getting up...and they probably wonder what I'm doing walking around at night with my CD player...so awkward! ;_;

post #31 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Father, Son & Holyzilla

My Mood: Mellow
So from the limited information I gathered on maladaptive daydreaming, does this include things like daydreaming ALL THE TIME.

For example whenever I listen to music I daydream of situations
I went to see Man of Steel and even while watching I was picturing myself actually in the movie and how I'd react to everything that was going on (even though I was able to perfectly follow the movie)
Or that my daydreams are so intense that I start to act it out or talk it out. Even though I quickly catch myself and stop.
I write stories, music and stuff like that because I feel that my day dreams are so interesting that I sometimes write them down or replay them in my head like an episode re-run.

I don't stop daydreaming no matter what I do. I'm in my head 24/7. I've been hurt emotionally from some of my more intense daydreams even though its fake as hell. But it is way more lively than anything I have going on in my life
post #32 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Hybrid Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaport View Post
I've had it since I was a kid. For me its both a useful coping mechanism and an enjoyable past time. Music is my primary trigger. Sometimes when I come home after a tedious school day, I'll be all 'awww yeeeah, time to submerge myself in some kickass daydreams'. I may be the odd one here but I honestly love it. It aids me in my creative endeavors, helps me get through anxious periods, and is an effective outlet for strong emotion. Its never been 'maladaptive' for me and I'm a little bit wary of the fact that its being perceived as something negative. It's certainly different, but its not something I would try to 'cure' myself of. When I was a kid, it helped me keep afloat of a toxic and dysfunctional home environment.
mind blown.........I DO THAT!
post #33 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:34 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezerk0 View Post
mind blown.........I DO THAT!
x2

post #34 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 04:18 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesuszilla View Post
I write stories, music and stuff like that because I feel that my day dreams are so interesting that I sometimes write them down or replay them in my head like an episode re-run.
I often "replay" certain scenarios I've daydreamed up, over and over, just like watching an advertisement over and over and over (usually to music)...goodness. If it were a tape or a DVD it'd be worn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesuszilla View Post
I don't stop daydreaming no matter what I do. I'm in my head 24/7. I've been hurt emotionally from some of my more intense daydreams even though its fake as hell. But it is way more lively than anything I have going on in my life
Agreed...I also sometimes get upset by some of the things I daydream, such as a story scenario that doesn't bode well for one of the characters. Sometimes I cry. Jeez I'm a mush. ;_;

post #35 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Done with everyone

I probably have something like this. I'll frequently recite lines from movies, games or TV shows acting like the person all the while.

The only people who succeed in life are born with the magic ticket called "talent." No one else accepts that's the way life is, so they just buck up and deal.

- Adachi
post #36 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:12 PM
mfd
Cured :) Farewell!

I don't know if what I do is maladaptive or just regular daydreaming.

I do spend an inordinate amount of time in my head, but it's something I truly enjoy. I'm not just doing it to escape the real world. For as long as I can remember I've lived more in thoughts and imagination than real life.

As a child I'd draw out background pictures, then I'd draw characters and props I could cut out so I could move them around on the backgrounds and have "adventures". Nowadays I basically do the same thing, just in a more complex way by creating comics or illustrated stories.

If I'm not drawing or writing stories, I'm generally looking for references to use, or I'm writing out documents for topics like political systems, spaceship design, made-up religions, or character bios all for the purpose of using them for those comics/stories

Maybe it would be considered maladaptive... I don't know. It makes me happy though.
post #37 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Hot Garbage Stew

I definitely have a problem with this. I'll stop anything I'm doing to get up and pace around while I daydream. I can even spend months on a particular daydream, replaying or expanding it. Any new event, book, show or song can trigger it. I think it stems from my boring, reclusive life. Sometimes I get anxiety when I do it, too.
post #38 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:32 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd View Post
As a child I'd draw out background pictures, then I'd draw characters and props I could cut out so I could move them around on the backgrounds and have "adventures". Nowadays I basically do the same thing, just in a more complex way by creating comics or illustrated stories.
I did that too! Though more often I played with either stuffed animals or little plastic toy animals...they had so many adventures...

Sometimes I would record myself doing my characters' voices on audiocassette.

Quote:
If I'm not drawing or writing stories, I'm generally looking for references to use, or I'm writing out documents for topics like political systems, spaceship design, made-up religions, or character bios all for the purpose of using them for those comics/stories
Ha, me tooooooo. I think I spend more time filling out character profiles and buying books on character development than I spend actually writing stories.

Jeez, I'm all over this thread.

Quote:
Maybe it would be considered maladaptive... I don't know. It makes me happy though.

post #39 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Father, Son & Holyzilla

My Mood: Mellow
So can any of you "see" your fantasies. For example when I'm driving home from work I can look at the skyline and see things play out. Obviously it's not there but I can still say robots destroying the city it gets intense
post #40 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:48 PM
SAS Member

I seriously thought i had ADHD until i ran into this article. The description is exactly what i do my entire school day i mean my ENTIRE school day nothing else and when i get home its scary. What kind of treatment is available though?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page