Maladaptive daydreaming (MD)- fantasy stories in your head - Page 17 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #321 of 336 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:01 AM
got a hennesy in my hand

My Mood: Breezy
This has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. I love it and it doesn't really interfere with my day to day life, it doesn't impair my functioning. I believe it to have been caused by my SA, I couldn't socialize and generally couldn't live the life that I wanted so I just did so in my head. One thing I do hate is the realization after a nice MD sesh that everything I daydreamed is not and will never be my reality, that realization always hurts like a *****.

Also I've noticed that I never ever daydream in first person point of view, it's always in third person as if I'm watching a movie but the subject is myself albeit a completely different version of myself. I mean the whole MD situation is odd but I find that part extra odd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 336 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:20 PM
SAS Member

I am a 26-year old man staying in India. Since teenage, i have been experiencing fantasy-proneness.
Details of the nature of my fantasies are given below--

a) I am a big enthusiast of sports, especially Cricket, tennis and football. But, have never pursued them seriously as i lacked ability. Its now around 15 years or so that i have constructed a fantasy world in my mind where i visualise myself as a top international cricketer/ a top tennis player/ a top footballer.
I play imaginary match-situations in my mind and create fantasy performances in which i, the top player, gives superlative performances and emerges victorious.
I even go to the extent of giving press conferences in my fantasy world.
I keep on doing shadow practising too, while playing those imaginary match-situations in my mind.

b) I know i am a capable person, but, in real life, i have nothing to show for that. Maybe thats why, i have created a fantasy world in which i revisit some critical moments in my social life -- moments in which i could have proved myself yet didnt have courage /confidence to do so-- and re-play them in a way such that i perform heroic tasks and earn adulation of one and all.

The reason why i seek to end this maladaptive daydreaming is its taking too much of my time and hampering my studies. Often it happens that i sit down for my studies but after 10 minutes,i leave studying and enter my fantasy world.

Lastly, i want to share that i have a habit of talking to myself while playing out my fantasy. But, its not a loud talk, its soundless.

Moreover, i feel that this disorder of mine has strengthened my power of imagination. Therefore, i want to utilise this to become an author of fictional stories/novels.

But, thats for later. Now, i have to become an Indian Civil Servant. But, i wont become that by living in a world of fantasy.

So, please help.
post #323 of 336 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensa View Post
This has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. I love it and it doesn't really interfere with my day to day life, it doesn't impair my functioning. I believe it to have been caused by my SA, I couldn't socialize and generally couldn't live the life that I wanted so I just did so in my head. One thing I do hate is the realization after a nice MD sesh that everything I daydreamed is not and will never be my reality, that realization always hurts like a *****.

Also I've noticed that I never ever daydream in first person point of view, it's always in third person as if I'm watching a movie but the subject is myself albeit a completely different version of myself. I mean the whole MD situation is odd but I find that part extra odd.
I hate that. You fall out of it and it's alarming sometimes. You feel cheated.

I also am third person, come to think of it. It's odd that I've never noticed that before.

PTSD doesn't mean you're going insane.
It means you're sane and reacting from something that was insane.

post #324 of 336 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 11:08 PM
SAS Member

I never thought that this was an actual thing, though I always wondered if other people had daydreams at the intense levels I do/have. I usually find myself doing this with stories revolving myself being either Iron Man or Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean, since I seem to daydream about being unable to die often. Very interesting.
post #325 of 336 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 06:36 PM
SAS Member

new here

so i only just found this by accident and i honestly just wept. Ive been daydreaming for what i class as obsessively for a while now and i was a little terrified that i was going mad. I spend maybe 6+ hours a day daydreaming, it fills up all my time. All i've done recently is lie in bed listening to music Im supposed to be revising for my exams but to be honest i think in my mind i've just given up. For a while i wanted to believe i was depressed or something because i needed an explanation as to why this was happening to me. To be honest its like a weight lifted off me. I not sure if anyone else gets this buts up until now its been like my body's numb- Im not sure if this makes sense- but when Im daydreaming I just feel warm and it feels kinda like a barrier or something around me. This sounds a little weird i know i just wondered if anyone else feels something similar.
post #326 of 336 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 08:49 PM
SAS Member

Just realized it

Only just found out what's this thing i have two days ago. I have almost all those symptoms, i pace around while daydreaming, books and movies and music trigger MD, and i could lose a few hours daydreaming daily, i act it out, they are very very vivid, although they don't affect me while i am out or with people, i almost always procrastinate any work just so i can daydream, its like an addiction. i read its supposed to be a result of trauma or abuse, and i have experienced neither. Well i know my parents aren't good parents, we have huge misunderstanding and miscommunication issues, sometimes i feel like i grew up somewhere alone and they just weren't there and i don't know how to hold a conversation with them. (i am 17 f). Anyhow, that's the only reason i could think of that might make me do that.
I have so many different scenarios, some are dreams about changing somethings in my life, and sometimes i dream i am a character in a book and i manipulate the story a bit.
It gets in the way of my school work and i was hoping i could put it under control before my senior year as i need to focus on my studying to be able to get in the college i want.
Its a huge pleasure knowing i am not alone.Thanks.
post #327 of 336 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 04:45 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
Wow. I have this so bad that for about the past 2 years I've been considering acting. ACTING, when I can't even talk to people in real life. I've become so obsessed with pretending I'm different people I've thought about moving to LA to try to get an agent. Somehow I rationalized it in my head by thinking I would take a lot of xanax before all of my auditions.
In my head I pretend that I am a character in a movie, and when I'm alone I will recite their lines that I memorized from watching the film a million times. So embarrassing.

This is literally the only passion I have in life, my fantasies lmao.

Anxiety & ADD.

Drugs I hated: Wellbutrin, Buspar, Effexor, Zoloft
Drugs that did nothing: Celexa, Lexapro
Drugs I like: Prozac, Adderall XR, Xanax & Inderal
post #328 of 336 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Psychedelic
Anyone think this might have sparked your SA? I used to do this alot as a kid, sometimes in front of my siblings but I just didnt care at the time nor thought it was weird. They didnt make fun of me, but seemed pretty weirded out by it, so I just started doing it in private, now with the underlying fear someone would be watching or hearing me, till one day I just stopped. I remember when I hit puberty I was very worried they would tell all their friends that their brother is a weirdo, this never happened tho as far as I know...
post #329 of 336 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:55 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Theres a name for this?

I think daydreaming is a perfect way to cope with depression, if I'm not going to be happy irl I might aswell just daydream my life away. Sure beats killing myself.
post #330 of 336 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 07:07 PM
SAS Member

i never thought i would have this. it all started when i saw sharkboy and lava girl when they mentioned something about learning how to daydream. i was curious how they can daydream so i learned it til it became a habit. i used to do it only when i'm about to sleep but it's been getting worse esp. when i've been out of school for two years now. every time someone talks to me, my mind just wanders away and don't hear 90% of what the they're saying. it's a big problem especially when my work involves customers. it makes me feel like i can't learn anything either bcos i can't focus
post #331 of 336 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Advocate

My Mood: Psychedelic
I have maladaptive daydreaming too. I am so happy I'm not alone. I pace back and forth every night for as long as up to 8 hours. I've done this my whole life and it actually helps me solve problems or give me hope in the real world. If I didn't have my fantasies I don't think I could have lived as long as I have.
post #332 of 336 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 06:11 PM
SAS Member

That happens to me a lot,I can be watching television, when I start daydreaming, seemingly against my will, when I come to I find that time has gone by that I can't remember, I remember the day dream but nothing else.
I ended up in special Ed because in my desire to escape from school I would collapse in on myself, and live in a daydream.

"Every hour wounds, the final one kills"
Spanish proverb
post #333 of 336 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed
Doesnt seem like too bad of a way to spend your life actually
post #334 of 336 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 06:14 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Yup this is me. I used it to compensate for my crappy, lackluster life and lack of social attachments.
post #335 of 336 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 04:54 AM
SAS Member

Wow I'm speechless I can't believe it, this is a real thing.

Your descriptions are spot on for at least 80%.
I don't have "pacing back and forth", I'd just sitting there or laying down, staring blankly into my monitor, or making faces and muttering the words (soundless) that my character is saying, and I'd "snap" out of it when occasionally I got "too loud", embarrassed with myself, and then continue with the story.
Not quite sure what triggers it but I can listen to music, yt videos, or twitch stream, and my mind would wander off to this character again while video or the streamer's voice keep playing in the background, unrelated at all.

Its extremely cringy and embarrassing to type this but..
Currently I'm imagining this cute asian girl with short hair, who's somehow a successful pro gamer and streamer. Started her story about 3yrs ago, somehow modeled her after a cartoon/comic artist on yt that I found years ago. This character is blending in with real life happenings and internet people that I'm a fan of and watch regularly.
I imagine she'd befriend A, B, C person because they're part of this and that group, or have similar opinions on some things (REAL world events), like if I see a tweet by them my mind starts to wander off thinking "she'd reply with something like this because her personality is X and she'd disagree with this". And then She'd dislike F, G person because they have conflicting personalities/humor.

But I understand 100% she's NOT me, this is just fantasy and I'm not trying to be her or anything like that.
And I'm kind of her cameraman/scriptwriter and viewer at the same time.
Its embarrassing/cringed me out so much to even admit this, but it gives me nice feelings in my head to imagine that if somehow this person exist in real world. And rooting for her to overcome adversaries (that I myself "wrote" for her) gives me satisfaction.

Its quite scary to think I might have to leave behind this story and stop daydreaming completely if I want to be normal again. Even now I wonder if there's a way that I can function like a normal, real person again without "giving her up".

Sorry for messy english, please help T__T
post #336 of 336 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 07:33 AM
SAS Member

I thought this was normal and everyone did it... and that they could just focus better than me. I can associate with almost everything that is said, like the pacing and talking to yourself. I tend to do it when everything is quiet, which is a problem in exams. I quess I'll have to try to stop, especially as I got worse grades than last year that being said, I think it's really fun to do! I've done it scone I was a little girl. I'd usually do it after watching a TV show or a film, I'd pretend I was part of that world and imagine interactions with the characters and influence the plot for fun. I guess it's also a way of coping in stressful or boring situations? For example, in a class I don't like I'll daydream to pass the time, and if the teacher calls on me I'll definitely go off on a fantasy to distract my self from being put on the spot. I'd also daydream whenever my parents were arguing and pretend I was someone else who had enough power and control to rise above the situation.

If you're rolling in it long enough your sh*t don't even smell. - Still Trying, Nathaniel Rateliff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page