Maladaptive Daydreaming - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Maladaptive Daydreaming

Ever heard of it?

http://classof1.com/homework_answers...e_daydreaming/

I also have maladaptive daydreaming besides social anxiety. And I think MD makes it even harder for me to interact with other people in social situations. At times I can be so content with just being alone with myself inside of my thoughts, but at the end of the day I'm still alone and I have social anxiety that isn't getting any better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 04:32 PM
SAS Member

Smile

Thank you so much for posting this because I have been trying to explain this to people for years. I didn't know that it had a name but I've been doing it since I was a small child and got into so much trouble at school because I would switch off and hear nothing of what the teacher was saying.
It is a great comfort to me and I do not want it to be repressed by medication so I've learned to control it. It's taken a long time to do so but it can be done.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Greenmail

Yep I have it, its part of my avoidant personality disorder. There is some stuff about it on the web , but not much compared with say SA. There usually a reason why you do it. Its self defense mechanism that becomes a habit.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:19 PM
SAS Member

Me to. It feels too familiar with everything I do. Reality is so boring but I know it's whats real and the truth.

“Do not fail to do a good deed because it is small;
do not commit a bad deed because it is small”
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Yeah I've always been a daydreamer but I don't think it became excessive until around the time I was in middle school around the 7th grade. My social anxiety seems to have started surface around this time too.

Charlie I want to know what it feels like to be infinite.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
You know, I saw this post earlier but saw only the first, question part, not the link or second paragraph!

I was going to say, haven't heard of it but can guess from the name what it means. (Haven't checked the link, dodgy Internet connection.) I'm constantly daydreaming, "roleplaying" my characters in my head (I write), pondering what they do and think. It's not that maladaptive for me, as I haven't a social life or job for it to interfere with. But I can understand how it could get that way. I feel I wouldn't be so lost in my own head if I had a social life, anyway.

It actually served a purpose when I was younger. If this could count, at least. Whenever I was in difficult situations, I'd place myself in the mind of one of my characters and react emotionally as if I were them. For example, when I had to go wait in the cold for a long time for the bus, I'd put myself in the mind of a soldier character, and it would make the waiting easier. When I was upset and crying, I'd "become" a character of mine, and get over it faster.

Eventually I told myself this was an unhealthy form of escapism, and to stop doing it and live in my own head. So I unlearned how to do it.

Biggest mistake of my life. I have no other adaptive strategies to fall back on. So while this might not have been the BEST way to go, at least it was coping, and now I don't know how to do it anymore when I could use it most.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Docile

Wow. I think I have this. I figured it was just my way of adapting to being lonely for so long, and this last year I've really been regretting choosing sitting around fantasizing instead of meeting people. When I've been socializing a lot, or even very actively talking to someone on the internet, it will become particularly bad to the extent that it keeps me from being able to concentrate on responding to them. I find myself doing it even while I'm around people or in public. A lot of the time I'll start pacing back and forth because of it-- I've done this since I was very young, and it's always been very annoying to my mother. Even when I'm at home, while I'm doing this I often find myself randomly getting up and walking in and out of my room for no real reason. I'd never heard of it before. ...Definitely going to look into it.

"This extreme daydreaming often begins in childhood. Books, movies, music, video games, and other media may be daydreaming initiators. Insistent movements while daydreaming like pacing, rocking, spinning, shaking something in their hand, etc are common. Our minds may stroll during uninteresting tasks because daydreaming is essentially the brain's normal state, rather than a pointless distraction.

Some people will lie in bed for hour’s maladaptive daydreaming, and may also have complicatedness in going to sleep because of this, or have complexity getting out of bed once awake. They may occasionally talk, laugh, cry, gesture, or make facial expressions as they daydream. People suffering from this identify the difference between daydreaming and reality, and do not mystify the two; this makes them definitely diverse from psychotics or schizophrenics. Maladaptive Daydreaming causes trouble in their lives, or stops them from fully carrying out in their day-to-day life. "

This whole part was just like.... wow.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 AM
SAS Member

i have been through this and still dealing with it. honestly, i just can't avoid doing it. i feel relieved with all my anxieties when daydreaming for at least once a day...

the content of my daydreams are all about the game Grand Theft Auto. i think of myslef as the reporter of a newscast let's say in Vice City or Liberty City (two fictional places which served as the setting for the game series). i give life to the characters in the game and report them as if they we're personalities in real life. beyond that, i make some sort of issues which are not included in the original plot of the game. for example, i picture that barack obama just had a state visit in liberty city and the people there made protests. sounds weird but i think it is kind of creative.

the weird thing when i daydream is that i need something to hold and play with while making the stories in my mind., let's say a stress ball. i throw it in the air and catch it back and throw it again until the stories in my mind become more intense. most of the time, i even caught myself speaking as a part of my story. that's just so ****ing stupid!

i feel so worried about it though i am still in control of myself...

You don't see me cry but I do. It just doesn't happen in my eyes but it does happen somewhere else deep within me...
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 AM
SAS Member

I've daydreamed since as far back as I can remember. It used to affect my performance in school and socially, instead of being out with the rest of the kids playing football or whatever, I would've preferred to sit in and read, play videogames etc.. becasue it made me imagine things. I would also pace up and down in public, while out shopping with my parents, and I still do it even today. I also have a thing where I swing thigs in my hands. I used to do it playing videogames and reading, but now I just do it while listening to music. I also find myself pacing up and down in my room whenever listening to music. I think it's also a way of coping with loneliness, as I used to fantasize for hours on end about things while I was alone. And I still do it actually. I talk to myself a lot too without even realizing it, I even do it in public which is embarrassing
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM
SAS Member

I actually have never heard of maladaptive daydreaming, but it seems pretty close to what I experience. I'm a hardcore daydreamer and have been since I was young. Before I go to bed and when I wake up in the morning used to be when I would daydream the most. I also did it in school as I was an aspiring novelist and would imagine the characters I was creating at the time rather than try to establish connections with my peers.

The embarrassing part of all this is I don't really make any movements, but I stare off into space like a weirdo along with exhibiting awkward facial expressions. I tend to get obsessed with movies and music, so that's the trigger for these compulsive dreams/fantasies.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Drifting Among Worlds

i incorporate reality into my daydreaming. i try to not export daydreaming to reality though, that can not work out well >.>
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria View Post

The embarrassing part of all this is I don't really make any movements, but I stare off into space like a weirdo along with exhibiting awkward facial expressions. I tend to get obsessed with movies and music, so that's the trigger for these compulsive dreams/fantasies.
Me in a nutshell. I don't move but I do stare off into space and when I come back to reality I often realize I was staring at someone (opps...).

"They may occasionally talk, laugh, cry, gesture, or make facial expressions as they daydream."
That's me right there too. Especially at home when I'm in my room alone. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if my mom just listened outside my door long enough.

I am forever getting sucked into a book or movie and I know they are my main triggers but I still do it.

Charlie I want to know what it feels like to be infinite.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 AM
SAS Member

I'm wondering if I got it. Often when I watch series - I just zone out and think of something - than I get back and I'm like: "What the hell just happened in the series? I missed the dialogue." But because I watch stuff with a friends sometimes I just won't say anything because I can't rewind (funny how I still use that word :P) all the freakin' time.

When I'm on public transportation it's the same thing. I just stare out the window and I'm gone. Or when I'm walking on the street I never notice anybody I know and it looks like I'm ignoring them. I've explained this to people because otherwise they think I'm ignoring them. So I just tell them I'm often just in deep thought. But I'm not really. Or at least I can't remember what I was thinking. I don't know if I'm moving repetitively while doing it. If I had to guess I think not. But how can I be sure.

I hope I don't sound like a hypochondriac but I know something is not normal here. Right or wrong? I always thought it was just a personality traits or something. But now I'm not so certain.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
From the wikipedia article:
Quote:
A study of 90 individuals who self-identified as having excessive daydreams found that 79% had a kinesthetic repetitive movement accompany their daydreaming, such as pacing, rocking, tapping, or shaking an object. Listening to music while daydreaming is common and hearing music may trigger a fantasy. A repetitive movement may be articulated to music while daydreaming.
This has been nearly my entire life--pacing while daydreaming, preferably with music.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 AM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

I used to "roleplay" scenes from my stories while listening to music...had to do it in the dark as there were motions involved and I just felt so self-conscious, even though I was alone. Sometimes certain music, like the quote says, would help trigger a "fantasy"--I'd create a scene set to the music. Sometimes more than one, depending on which story I was most interested in at the time.

I don't do that anymore, but when I listen to music I walk around and do the roleplaying completely in my head now. I feel a LITTLE less weird, seeing the Wikipedia quote.

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 AM
SAS Member

I've done this my whole life. it seems to have gotten worse in recent years but then again, I probably just notice it and think about it more. I remember reading an essay by freud in my literature and psychology class about how daydreaming stems from dissatisfaction but is also at the root of all artistic pursuit and that really stuck with me. maybe we can't rid ourselves of our tendency to daydream, but we can turn it into something creative as opposed to something that is just unproductive.

http://voidmanufacturing.wordpress.c...sigmund-freud/
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM
SAS Member

i day dream about past things that were very hard to deal with then and it makes me break things
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
SAS Member

ok, follow-up question: has anyone been diagnosed with/suspected they may have inattentive ADD?
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyloft View Post
I just looked up the symptoms for it, including inattentive ADD. From what I've seen, there's a pretty high chance that I could possibly have it. I'm not sure, though.

https://www.adda-sr.org/reading/Arti...nattentive.htm

It sure sounds like I have inattentive ADD from what I've read here. Especially from the paragraphs I've posted here. I can relate to pretty much everything listed on that site.
I suspect I may have it, too, though I've never been diagnosed. I always did well in school and never really had problems taking tests or anything so I always assumed ADD wasn't something that applied to me, but I do have a lot of the symptoms that go along with inattentive ADD, like lack of motivation, procrastination, daydreaming, trouble starting things...not sure if it's ADD or depression, or a little of both exacerbating the other...bah! I've tried adderall before and it did nothing for me, but I've read that's typical of inattentive ADD...it's not really the type you can easily treat with drugs, I think it requires CBT.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKrakow View Post
I've done this my whole life. it seems to have gotten worse in recent years but then again, I probably just notice it and think about it more. I remember reading an essay by freud in my literature and psychology class about how daydreaming stems from dissatisfaction but is also at the root of all artistic pursuit and that really stuck with me. maybe we can't rid ourselves of our tendency to daydream, but we can turn it into something creative as opposed to something that is just unproductive.

http://voidmanufacturing.wordpress.c...sigmund-freud/
Not having read the article (slow Internet), but based on the post and link title...many of my daydreaming imaginings are later turned into writing. So, at least something comes of it. Now to just get people to read it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKrakow View Post
ok, follow-up question: has anyone been diagnosed with/suspected they may have inattentive ADD?
I've been diagnosed with ADD sans the hyperactivity, so, if that's the same thing...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page