Made a recording of my voice. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic

Made a recording of my voice.

This is definitely the scariest thing I've done on here. Since I'm not too good at coming up with things to say, I just read an excerpt from a book I had lying around. This is pretty much what I sound like giving presentations.

I'm warning you ahead of time there's a lot of stuttering and unclear speech...

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0BgKYQ7GegU

I remember going to speech therapy when I was in elementary school, and there was lot of pressure on me to finish (I remember being told it would be embarrassing for me to continue speech class into middle and high).

I've asked my parents about this. They refuse to tell me what I was diagnosed with, insisting that the only problem I have is talking at a decent volume.

I was hoping someone out there is knowledgeable about speech disorders, and tell me what they think this sounds like. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:06 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
It sounds fine except for when you get caught up on words. When you are reading does your mind process the words your reading? Or do you just have trouble sounding out the words?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

It's probably more sounding out the words, feels like I physically can't pronounce them at first

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:18 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
I would get back into speech therapy and work on it again. Whoever said that it would be embarrassing to continue didn't realize that continuing without it being resolved has probably caused you more embarrassment.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:48 PM
LOCO Member

I'm not that knowledgable about speech disorders, but I think it sounds fine except there are some parts that were a bit hard to understand. I also tend to stutter when I try to talk too fast, especially when I'm nervous. Maybe you could talk a bit slower than your normal speed and breathe in more air before you make your speech?

If I were a painter, I would paint my reverie.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 07:27 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Paranoid
Don't think I'd ever be brave enough to post a clip of my voice online, I hate the sound of it so much. I also had speech therapy when I was younger, not that it helped me that much as I still struggle. I've gone a long period of time not doing anything about it and in my younger days I would be very quiet so think I've got a bit lazy. But recently I've been looking up youtube videos and exercise techniques in hope it helps.

To the OP I would say I understood most of it and you've got a good accent and tone to your voice.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for all the encouragement. Gonna speak with my counselor about this in a few days, I trust him more on this issue than my parents unfortunately.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page