Is this Adult ADD? Can't focus on homework... - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:30 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRibbon View Post
Looking at how you were as a child would help get a more accurate picture of what's going on with you. Were you hyper as a child? Did you regularly get into trouble in school or receive comments on report cards about being inattentive, not listening, not following instructions, or being disruptive? etc etc...
For me personally yeah, I could never follow Math class at all, ever since primary school I spent most math classes just daydreaming and staring off into space because the concepts seemed too overwhelming.

In high school, my guidance counselor referred to me as the schools 'resident anarchist', which seemed strange to me as I never intentionally did that much to get into trouble, yet I constantly found myself in detention.

I also show some other symptoms which are apparently indicative of ADD ie; I've never read a novel in it's entirety in my entire life. Which is weird considering that I scored better than 85% of my state on the English/verbal portion of my SAT test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRibbon View Post
I am diagnosed with ADD.

Bits of what you described could be ADD, but it could also be regular procrastination or depression. The bit where you said you couldn't open the text book and cried instead, sounds like depression. Depression also causes attention problems and a lack of motivation.

Looking at how you were as a child would help get a more accurate picture of what's going on with you. Were you hyper as a child? Did you regularly get into trouble in school or receive comments on report cards about being inattentive, not listening, not following instructions, or being disruptive? etc etc...
Come to think of it, I never got in trouble for attention problems as a kid...but I DID utterly refuse to go to school, to the point that I missed almost all of kindergarten and most of first grade...that carried over into later grades (junior high and HS) where I was paralyzed and could not make myself get out of bed.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Wow everyone...I'm coming back to this thread a month later and I just have to say...I know how it feels.

Any ideas for dealing with this stuff? As I type I have work to do, I can't do it, and my anxiety is spinning out of control, off and on.

Here's one concept I guess that has helped me on occasion--the thought that "every little bit counts." Like if I can just force myself to write this one sentence, one letter at a time (yes, I have to get that basic), I'm a million miles closer to finishing the work and being free. That doesn't always work but it helped me a little last night. Now I just don't know what to do, it's hit or miss. My mind is a complete mess. I just want to be able to function normally.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 PM
SAS Member

Try pacing around while you do your work. Maybe even make or buy a stand up desk. One of the weirder symptoms of ADD is only being able to think while moving.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 12:44 PM
SAS Member

I go through this, and it's ADD

I so relate. I wasn't diagnosed with ADD until I was in my 40s, but was in an Ivy League school at 16, where I'd fail to hand in papers, or just sort of trail off...

What works for me, in my work life, is to get around people, have someone "shadow" me, just sit with me or check in with me by phone at intervals. I'm going to do that right now, LOL, since I google "can't focus on my work". Also, change your environment. I'm in an office w/ no windows, loud white noise (the kind that's great for putting babies to sleep--help!), and all alone. Next month I move to a shared office with a window, so I can't go off surfing and can see the green trees, etc.

Good luck, and I'm so glad college students have more resources for figuring out what's going on. And I went back and got my master's at 49, so not all is lost...there's always time to get it right...there was a man of 75 in my dorm as an undergraduate...
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM
o_O

Sounds similar to me. I think I do have some form of ADD just not severe. There are times that I can't bring myself to study for a test at all or even pay attention to what I'm reading or what the teacher is teaching in lecture. I also look up random things online that interest me and end up killing valuable study time. It sucks and the only way to control this is to get off the computer altogether and go to a silent room with no distractions.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 10:14 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalLogOfZero View Post
Yup... that sounds like what I go through.

I was THAT GUY who would show up to lecture, sit in the front row and be asleep for the prof even started lecturing. I'd wake up right as soon as lecture was over and head the next one.

My friend literally has 100s of pictures of me sleeping in class. He has more pictures of me than anyone else.

This is my super great study strategy.

Step 1:
Take horrible notes, fall asleep in most classes

Step 2:
Do the minimum amount of assignments, study problems, ignore problems or concepts I don't understand.

Step 3: Avoid studying with friends or at school because you are uncomfortable with their ability to focus. Go Home to study, tell yourself you'll be more focused

Step 4: Take out my notes, get some practice promblems ready and sit down. Get your music set up. Make sure you didn't miss anything on facebook.

Step 5: Write down exactly 4 words and say "Fk this, im going to play Call of Duty".

Step 6: Get up the next morning and write exam.

The result:
In classes I enjoy, I get B+ to A grades
In classes I dont like, I get C- to B- grades

This has been my life since grade 7.
Have to bump this thread because of this post. That feel lol...
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 03:45 AM
SAS Member

thats exactly me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon View Post
I'm not sure if this is related but I have extreme difficulty focusing, organizing, and completing certain boring, mundane tasks like paying the bills, cleaning the yard, eating, etc. I am a huge procrastinator when engaging in such activities. And yet, I can focus very intently (hyperfocus) on other activities that interest me. There are only a few. It feels like an addiction and I can become so immersed in such an activity that I become oblivious to everything else going on around me and if anyone get close to me or if the phone rings I feel like unleashing severe pain on them and smashing the phone to pieces. I haven't met anybody like this, so far in real life. Here's an interesting read:

"Attention-deficit disorder (without hyperactivity)":

"Individuals with ADD have difficulty maintaining a sufficiently high level of motivation to complete a task and grow bored quickly, perhaps tiring because the working memory demands of the task exhaust them. They go looking for something else to do or think about because they are bored, rather than being unable to inhibit the pull of distractions. Their problem is not so much that are distractible as that they are easily bored. When engaged in an activity they enjoy they are fully able to successfully ignore even potent distractions. To remedy a general lower arousal level, they may seek risks that increase their level of arousal and attentiveness."

http://www.devcogneuro.com/Publications/ADD.pdf
[B][COLOR="Red"]
[SIZE="6"

]Well you arent alone. you just described me to a T
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 03:47 AM
SAS Member

It's nice to see that the things I think are completely unique to me aren't at all. I too put off most everyday normal things because I hate doing those things. Id rather paint my art and not talk to anyone.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:23 AM
SAS Member

I'm the same. It's almost a torture watching this procrastination unfold before me. And watching my grades turn to **** in the process.

For me this procrastination/(add?) happens in every aspect of my life - except when playing computer games or watching a movie. So i'm tryin to combat it in various ways. One is wityh exercise. Never been able to stick to an exercise routine. Finally started on a routine and been on it for about a month now. Hoping the discipline and lessons about pushing through (physical/mental) barriers I learn from that can cross-over to study ( ''discipline is like a muscle that can be made to grow'', apparently). And I've started nofap and been looking into this:
www.asianefficiency.com/health/sex-productivity-and-motivation-part-04-sexual-energy-and-transmutation/
It's too early to tell if it's having an effect on study, except I'm definitely in better physcial shape and have made huge savings on tp
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 01:11 PM
SAS Member

Hi everyone,
Here is my story and how i solved my problems.
I had a lot of problems with assignments, i could not do assignments and i got low grades in Assignments, i asked for help, but no one does it until you have a girlfriend or a best friend.
At last i started taking paid assignment assistance online and that has helped, they really encourage you, boost up your confidence, and tell you a lot of secrets of doing things fast, so my anxiety/weird or depressing situation regarding assignments had now been solved.
I think all of you should also get assistance and experienced professionals guide you right always.

Thank You

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page