Is it possible to forcefully bypass anxiety? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

My Mood: Goofy

Is it possible to forcefully bypass anxiety?

Do you ever think its possible to completely bypass anxiety and fear in certain situations that would otherwise make you anxious?

Like going for a job interview or confronting someone for a fight (verbal or physical)

For some people, such situations would make them fearful and anxious. But do you think its possible to '' disconnect '' whenever youíre in such situations, and thus not feel the anxiety and fear? By '' disconnect '', I mean that you temporarily detach your conscious self and ego, from your body and your surroundings. Think of it like jacking out of the Matrix, but still operating in the Matrix remotely. As if you were controlling your body from a far away safe space for your mind.

Has anyone done this? There have been some times where Iíve been able to do something like it. Where Iíve just disconnected from the situation, but Iíve been able to operate in it, without the fear and anxiety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:27 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
I believe it's wishful thinking but you are welcome to suprise me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDuck View Post
Has anyone done this? There have been some times where Iíve been able to do something like it. Where Iíve just disconnected from the situation, but Iíve been able to operate in it, without the fear and anxiety.
Sounds very vague,can you give more details?

There is no cure for social anxiety only remission and relapse.
It seems the only way for some sa members to feel good about themselves is to insult other sa members.It gives them a sense of superiority and satisfaction that could never have in their real lives.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth maul View Post
I believe it's wishful thinking but you are welcome to suprise me.

Sounds very vague,can you give more details?
Haven't you heard of disassociation?

Yeah, it occurred two years back. It was my first time going to a strip club and I was extremely nervous. And since I have SA, it was even worse. But the minute I got in there, this happened to me. I detached from my conscious self and I still continued to operate. So I couldn't really feel the anxiety or fear but I still felt detached from my surroundings. The anxiety was still there, but it wasn't bothering me. I went in and walked around and with little to no effort, got the confidence to walk up to a stripper and ask her for a lapdance. And we had a good time. My stripper ended up really liking me. However since I was detached, I didn't really get turned on that much. Lol.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkyFink View Post
I do it everyday of my life. But it's like folding a garden hose in half while the spigot is on. The pressure builds up to unbearable levels - sometimes at the same time I'm holding everything in - and the only escape I have is to sit on a bench in an area with little foot traffic - or swallow a pill and lie in bed for half a day. It's bad. I've spent at least half of my life holding as much as I possibly can - in. And I'm an emotional cripple - at 33.
Wait a minute I'm not talking about suppressing anxiety and letting it build up. I mean if a certain situation is making you anxious, then you can bypass the situation and still operate in it. So that once its done, you don't have to feel anxiety anymore because its over and done with. I think what you're talking about is suppressing anxiety and not accepting it. Accept it, just don't let it bother you
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:06 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Haven't you heard of disassociation?

Yeah, it occurred two years back. It was my first time going to a strip club and I was extremely nervous. And since I have SA, it was even worse. But the minute I got in there, this happened to me. I detached from my conscious self and I still continued to operate. So I couldn't really feel the anxiety or fear but I still felt detached from my surroundings. The anxiety was still there, but it wasn't bothering me. I went in and walked around and with little to no effort, got the confidence to walk up to a stripper and ask her for a lapdance. And we had a good time. My stripper ended up really liking me. However since I was detached, I didn't really get turned on that much. Lol.
You did not mention disasscociation at you original post so i thought it was only mumbo jumbo talk.My dissociative technique is to supress painfull memories like they never happened.I never checked it but i think i maybe qualify for dissociative amnesia since i can not remember anything from my childhood and teenage years.I do not really care offcourse since they are mostly bad memories.The problem is when i find something from my childhood like a photo or a toy or my school marks i get back my painfull memories like flashbacks.The only time i had something to your case is when i was burn out from anxiety and i really did not care what will happen because i was completely apathetic.

There is no cure for social anxiety only remission and relapse.
It seems the only way for some sa members to feel good about themselves is to insult other sa members.It gives them a sense of superiority and satisfaction that could never have in their real lives.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:21 AM
Hiding the pain

No you can't really.
Ideally you should learn to make room for anxiety and accept it, without let it deeply influence your conscious behavior. How?
Not sure, but mindfulness helps. I'll let you know when I get there.

Nothing to see here, move along.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalakotkas View Post
No you can't really.
Ideally you should learn to make room for anxiety and accept it, without let it deeply influence your conscious behavior. How?
Not sure, but mindfulness helps. I'll let you know when I get there.
Of course you should accept it. If you deny it, it will become even worse.

I'm talking about disconnecting from the anxiety, even though its there. Like turning off a switch. If you have immense willpower and immense anger, you can just tell yourself '' You know what, ***** the anxiety! I've had enough ''. And that immense anger is going to keep you invincible to anxiety for a short period of time.

There have been some vague times where I have done this. I have problems making eye contact because of my social anxiety. But there was this one time where I was like '' ***** this SA sh*t! '' and then I comfortably walked around my university for some time and I was able to make eye contact with people with no difficulties.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:05 AM
SAS Member

I think it depends on the severity of one's SA. In the past, I've cancelled job interviews out of fear or avoided big family gatherings. There was no way in heck I was going to those lol but I think due to exposure over time to these situations and deep breathing that I'm significantly less afraid. I still get a fast heart rate but deep breaths slow it down so I don't run away. The worst of it has always been the lead up, not the actual event, for me anyways. At least we can all relate here and if you're doing your absolute best take a moment to be reflect and be proud that you're making an effort.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:59 AM
SAS Member

I can relate. Sometimes I expect myself to be anxious in a situation, but I turn out alright. I guess it's about focusing on the situation and the things I need to do. I think keeping myself occupied with tasks and having clear objectives can help bypass anxiety.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:20 AM
Tired

Language: English
Re anger, yeh, though its never a disconnect from anxiety, but I have on occasion just said "**** it" and done exposure stuff I really didn't want to do. But anxiety is still there. Never no anxiety.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie203 View Post
I think it depends on the severity of one's SA. In the past, I've cancelled job interviews out of fear or avoided big family gatherings. There was no way in heck I was going to those lol but I think due to exposure over time to these situations and deep breathing that I'm significantly less afraid. I still get a fast heart rate but deep breaths slow it down so I don't run away. The worst of it has always been the lead up, not the actual event, for me anyways. At least we can all relate here and if you're doing your absolute best take a moment to be reflect and be proud that you're making an effort.
Have you heard of the fight or flight mechanic? After I realized that, combating situations like this became way easier. It's the difference between playing defense and playing offense. If you voluntarily go into a situation with the intent of facing it, you will have an easier time with it.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooper View Post
I can relate. Sometimes I expect myself to be anxious in a situation, but I turn out alright. I guess it's about focusing on the situation and the things I need to do. I think keeping myself occupied with tasks and having clear objectives can help bypass anxiety.
Yeah focusing on the situation and less on the anxiety.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
Re anger, yeh, though its never a disconnect from anxiety, but I have on occasion just said "**** it" and done exposure stuff I really didn't want to do. But anxiety is still there. Never no anxiety.
But have you ever gotten so angry, that you've simply decided that you've had enough anxiety, and you turn the anxiety off in an instant? I know it sounds unreal, but it can happen with immense anger and willpower. Think of the classic war movie scenario where a fearful soldier decides to let go of all fear in the blink of an eye, and just run out into the battlefield, screaming and shooting like a maniac. Ok that's a very dramatic example, but you get the point.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 01:08 PM
gas guzzling feline

My Mood: Amazed
wow you triple posted, anyway

I used to street fight. Never got angry at my opponent. It was all for fun, and money.

"Those who scale the pinnacles of glory have the furthest to plunge into the abyss." --Melothrucius Lux, Warhammer 40k, Codex: Chaos Space Marines (8th Edition), pg. 12
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 01:23 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Have you heard of the fight or flight mechanic? After I realized that, combating situations like this became way easier. It's the difference between playing defense and playing offense. If you voluntarily go into a situation with the intent of facing it, you will have an easier time with it.
Good point , I think that plays into it. Helpful to look at it too as some bodily reaction that serves no purpose in that situation and control it physically through deep breathing than react to it emotionally and work myself up even more.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekobasu View Post
wow you triple posted, anyway

I used to street fight. Never got angry at my opponent. It was all for fun, and money.
Dude how does a guy like you end up with social anxiety? Lol

I thought physical fighting was the ultimate test that eradicates your fear of other people and raises your self confidence to maximum levels
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 02:06 PM
gas guzzling feline

My Mood: Amazed
Quote:
Dude how does a guy like you end up with social anxiety? Lol

I thought physical fighting was the ultimate test that eradicates your fear of other people and raises your self confidence to maximum levels
Not every guy suffers the same way. Yea I been married, had lots of girlfriends, served in war in the U.S Army, yeah, I am still shy as hell. Do not be so quick to judge...

"Those who scale the pinnacles of glory have the furthest to plunge into the abyss." --Melothrucius Lux, Warhammer 40k, Codex: Chaos Space Marines (8th Edition), pg. 12
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Tired

Quote:
But have you ever gotten so angry, that you've simply decided that you've had enough anxiety, and you turn the anxiety off in an instant? I know it sounds unreal, but it can happen with immense anger and willpower. Think of the classic war movie scenario where a fearful soldier decides to let go of all fear in the blink of an eye, and just run out into the battlefield, screaming and shooting like a maniac. Ok that's a very dramatic example, but you get the point.
No, the anxiety is always there for me. It would be diminished, but not gone.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekobasu View Post
Not every guy suffers the same way. Yea I been married, had lots of girlfriends, served in war in the U.S Army, yeah, I am still shy as hell. Do not be so quick to judge...
But shyness is different from social anxiety. Ok you probably already know that. You might be the only guy on this site who has had lots of girlfriends and been married XD
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkyFink View Post
This is all bull****. Bypassing, suppressing. It's the same. And how do I accept anxiety? I'd rather die. And I'm going to die - soon. I can feel my body slowly failing. I will die of some form of disease - soon.
Calm down. Go look up disassociation in psychology. Don't you think its possible to voluntarily bring it on? And how can you call my personal experience bull sh*t? I'm telling you that its sometimes happened to me. Maybe you just haven't experienced it yet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page