Is believing people can read your mind schizophrenia? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 02:10 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
I read an article that said that only half of people with schizophrenia are aware that the things they are perceiving are not real.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/he...pagewanted=all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-awareness#Disorders

Quote:
And that is what he got at lunch — a promotion. “We were having a great time, laughing and celebrating, and at the end my boss says she’s going to the ladies’ room,” he said. “But just before she leaves, I hear her say something awful, just terrible — she insults me. Loudly.”

He stood there by the door, stung and confused, until she returned. The jab made no sense, given the spirit of the occasion, but it was still ringing in his ears.

“By the way, did you hear someone say,” he asked, repeating the insult.

She was dumbfounded. So was he, doing his best to pretend he was joking.

By the time he climbed back into his car, he was short of breath. Could it be that all those nasty remarks over the years, those biting insults from out of nowhere, did not exist, except in his own head?

How many times had he falsely accused people, Patsy especially? Hundreds? Thousands? Called her a liar. Made a scene. Erupted, for no reason at all. He was the same way with his stepson.

All those lost jobs, too: welding, painting, bartending, sales, flipping burgers, landscaping, bodyguard, chef, librarian. More than 30 of them. Nothing lasted for long.

“Sometimes I would just run away — literally take off,” he said. “I would get so afraid of people, customers, anyone, afraid of what they would say to me.”

He sat alone in the parking lot and wept until dark, “like something was collapsing inside, like I was shrinking, shrinking.” He was apologizing to Patsy as he came through the door, his head going limp on her shoulder.

“It explained so much,” Mrs. Holt said in an interview. “For so long it was like he had multiple personalities; one moment he was calm, charming, funny, and then — boom — he’s angry, it’s a huge deal, he’s this other person entirely. It was like there were two Joes.”

The ability to catch one’s own mind straying from reality is no small gift; perhaps half the people with schizophrenia have no such self-awareness, researchers say. Still, it would take years for Mr. Holt to master himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 08:01 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFather View Post
As I've told you before, there has been very intense study and conclusions have been drawn that psychotic symptoms can manifest in those with social anxiety disorder (as well as other anxiety/mood disorders).

It's known in the psychiatric world as anxiety/mood disorder with psychotic effect. Antipsychotics have not been shown to improve symptoms over the course of a normal regiment, and normal treatments for the social anxiety and psychotherapy will usually be able to eliminate the psychotic delusions as well as treat the underlying condition. Schizophrenia is a complex and difficult disease to even understand. I hope to specialize in schizophrenia, but many psychiatrists go their entire professional lives without truly grasping how to even begin diving into the soup of schizophrenia. Until you go to a psychiatrist for a formal diagnosis, you will not know. However I would conclude that you probably do not, considering your anxiety.

I would like for you to Google these terms and read some psychiatric literature around them. They may help you develop a better understanding of your condition as well as schizophrenia:

1) Idea of Reference
2) Delusion of Reference
3) Delusion of Persecution
3) Paranoid Personality
4) Psychosis
5) Poverty of Speech/Neologism
6) Mood Disorder w/ Psychotic Effect
Yeah, I developed persecution delusions and became paranoid due to social anxiety. Are you sure that antipsychotics don't work in that case? I'm asking you because my psychiatrist has treated me with an antipsychotic because of that, and I wanted to know if therapy is enough.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Patron St. of Mediocrity

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblock9 View Post
Yeah, I developed persecution delusions and became paranoid due to social anxiety. Are you sure that antipsychotics don't work in that case? I'm asking you because my psychiatrist has treated me with an antipsychotic because of that, and I wanted to know if therapy is enough.
Based on several of my psychiatry textbooks and my research, antipsychotics have not typically been shown to improve psychotic symptoms in social anxiety. Your doctor may have placed you on them for certain reasons, I do not know. You would have to talk about this with your doctor and discuss whether your medication helps you or not.

Misplace one note, and there would be diminishment;misplace one phrase, and the structure would fall. It was clear to me that sound I'd heard in the archbishops palace had been no accident. Here again was the very voice of God. I was staring through the cages of those meticulous ink strokes -
...at an absolute beauty!...

- Antonio Salieri, Amadeus

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFather View Post
Based on several of my psychiatry textbooks and my research, antipsychotics have not typically been shown to improve psychotic symptoms in social anxiety. Your doctor may have placed you on them for certain reasons, I do not know. You would have to talk about this with your doctor and discuss whether your medication helps you or not.
I'll do that. Thanks.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:18 PM
SAS Member

Language: Polish, English, Russian, German
My Mood: Daring
I know its really hard, but if you think that people can read your mind, maybe you should try to think that they can't. Brain is very acctive. I hope you will manage. REMEBER no one can read your mind. There is only one person who can know what you think - God. Rest of us we don't have that kind of power :-) Be strong
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 05:00 AM
SAS Member

I just wanted to say When I've had psychotic symptoms, compulsive thoughts and several psychosis I struggled allot with telepathic paranoia and sound paranoia in different ways...

I've been medicated with anti-psychotics for this and it worked for me.

Now I also need to talk about this in therapy because otherwise I can't really move on
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhelou View Post
I just wanted to say When I've had psychotic symptoms, compulsive thoughts and several psychosis I struggled allot with telepathic paranoia and sound paranoia in different ways...

I've been medicated with anti-psychotics for this and it worked for me.

Now I also need to talk about this in therapy because otherwise I can't really move on
Wow thats great to hear...Can you explain more about your telepathy paranoia and what went through your mind...
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:58 PM
RMS
SAS Member

OP the most important thing is you have insight which to me shows you are not psychotic. People who are acutely psychotic don't second-guess themselves, they have firm and fixed false beliefs
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:22 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
OP the most important thing is you have insight which to me shows you are not psychotic. People who are acutely psychotic don't second-guess themselves, they have firm and fixed false beliefs
I have always been able to doubt my psychotic experiences.

I've met people with schizophrenia that are able to separate reality vs psychotic symptoms, and I saw a very popular video where a person with schizophrenia talked about what was going on in her head and how she tried to manage a normal life with the symptoms.

Yes, there are also people with psychotic symptoms where unfortunately no medicin works who is psychotic = have schizophrenia in the way you described.

I'm not saying OP has psychotic symptoms.
But being paranoid and obsessed with unrealistic things is often a big part of psychosis.

Anti-psychotics can help with compulsive thoughts or severe paranoia and depression.

If Moses Chol is suffering from compulsive thoughts or severe paranoia I'd recommend anti-psychotics/talking to a psychologist about this.

I have trouble thinking about the memories. My body pains and I have trouble breathing. Sometimes I get panic attacks. It is like I have PTSD... I think? I hope it get better if I try to process it with the help of other people/therapy and also Tetris.

If you are only interested and the subject excites you. I'll be happy to try to share something =) Maybe it's not much I can give you because it's hard to put together...

(sorry if grammars not on point)
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:40 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Chol View Post
In the last few years my social phobia has developed soo badly that i have started believing people can LITERALLY read my mind and make noises simultaneously to my actions as a response to my thoughts. For example if I think "you guys are annoying" I feel like someone will know it and slam a door or make any type of aggresive sound as a response.

This fear of people knowing what I think in turn gives me major anxiety & panic attacks for noises they can potentially make if they are angry or nervous with my thoughts. I feel like this mind reading belief is the root cause of the fear of simultaneous noise that's why I want to tackle it however idk if it's schizophrenia or not.

1) Here is my thread explaining my simultanuouse noise fear:
- https://socialphobiaworld.com/are-yo...-sounds-61157/

2) Mind reading fear threads:
- http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...#/topics/57796
-‎ http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...topics/2083265

Please try to read all threads so you can have a better understanding of what i meant by "mind reading" and "simultaneous noise fear"

My question: Do you believe my mind reading fear is schizophrenia based? If so should i try antipsychotics?

I am really not good at reading all the info at once, many times...

I see it is troubling you. Talk to psychologist. They will help you

Try to talk to them. Try many times if you have to. I did not dare to speak about it first. If anyone near you can help you go there with you that can be good to <3
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:45 AM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
If it is, believing in God also is.

/WYSD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page