Ibs & sa - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Live.Laugh.Love.

Unhappy

Ibs & sa

I have had IBS for about 7 years that is Irritable Bowel Disorder. I have found no relife no answer have been told to live with it. My SA has taken over my life I can not work I can not do well anything partly due to my SA and partly due to my IBS. Does anyone else have this problem? I have talked to one person I feel alone with this. I am seeing a new doctor next week and hope to get an answer fast before I loose the last friends and people around me I love.

Thanks for any posts or replys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Daydreaming

For the past 2 years or more, I've had a digestive problem and thought maybe it could be IBS...it CONTROLS my life. (I can't see a doctor about it because I have a major fear of them, but also it's even hard to schedule an appointment, not knowing what I'll be feeling like that day) Having that problem, doesn't even allow me to overcome SA or any kind of fears of mine. I'm stuck at home mostly because of it. I always worry about if there will be a bathroom nearby wherever I go, worry about being in a car for a while, worry about getting embarrassed over this problem....

I feel completely trapped. SA+IBS/Digestive Problem = a prison.

I was trying to go to a class last fall, but I quit because of SA and because of the digestive problem. I would have considered to keep on going, if it was only SA I was dealing with...it's like, with a digestive problem, there's no choice, but with just SA, you have a choice if you want to do something, or avoid it, that's how it is for me anyways.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 AM
dazed and confused

I've had problems with my stomach for years. After having countless tests and procedures inflicted on me, the doctors finally said I have IBS, which seems to be what they diagnose when they don't have a clue. One thing I have found that helps is avoiding fructose. Have you been tested for fructose or lactose intolerance? I know that having these stomach problems makes life hard....you're scared to go places, can't do anything spontaneously. I hope you have better luck with your doctor than I did with mine.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Stan the Man

My Mood: Mellow
SSRIs are frequently used to combat social anxiety and IBS. Look into it!

Always happy to talk to folks!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 08:06 AM
SAS Member

You have to learn what triggers it and that is the only way to control it, unfortunately. I have this but its mild compared to others. Still sucks though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Live.Laugh.Love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelynn View Post
For the past 2 years or more, I've had a digestive problem and thought maybe it could be IBS...it CONTROLS my life. (I can't see a doctor about it because I have a major fear of them, but also it's even hard to schedule an appointment, not knowing what I'll be feeling like that day) Having that problem, doesn't even allow me to overcome SA or any kind of fears of mine. I'm stuck at home mostly because of it. I always worry about if there will be a bathroom nearby wherever I go, worry about being in a car for a while, worry about getting embarrassed over this problem....

I feel completely trapped. SA+IBS/Digestive Problem = a prison.

I was trying to go to a class last fall, but I quit because of SA and because of the digestive problem. I would have considered to keep on going, if it was only SA I was dealing with...it's like, with a digestive problem, there's no choice, but with just SA, you have a choice if you want to do something, or avoid it, that's how it is for me anyways.
I know exacally how you feel its not the SA as much as IBS which it sounds like you have but it could be more serious like chrones disease they have so many medications im taking a friends i have to go in a few days maybe a friend can help you. I feel like Im living as a prisoner to my own body I hate it with passion! Thank you for your post I am glad to feel less alone. Please try to get some help. PM me anytime we can talk I know how hard and alone you can feel...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Live.Laugh.Love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srschirm View Post
SSRIs are frequently used to combat social anxiety and IBS. Look into it!
Its just the opposite for me trycyclics are what would help me I am goign to ask my doctor about it thank you for your post!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:28 PM

I have IBS in addition to SA, agoraphobia, panic disorder, and OCPD.

It really does suck. Doctors didnt know what I had at first and then a doctor said its probably IBS because they couldn't find anything wrong with me.

They gave me a medication called Zelnorm which I dont think is on the market anymore. Anyways it gives you diarrhea at first but then it really helps the IBS.

I am also on Celexa and Xanax and they both help with IBS because my IBS is entirely caused by anxiety. I believe Xanax also directly helps IBS by improving smooth muscle control.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Live.Laugh.Love.

Not all IBS is caused by anxiety. It really is a disorder of the stomach.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:01 AM
SAS Member

I have IBS and SA. It seemed (until now) that I was the only one. I've had both for years. A few years ago I was taking a RX for the IBS, but it wound up making my eyes hurt of all things and giving me headaches. Now I just try to avoid "triggers" as much as possible, like fatty, oily things and insoluble fiber on an empty stomach. I also use immodium at least once a week I'd say, and NEVER leave the house without it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 02:24 PM
SAS Member

I have IBS. After years of having it I finally figured out a cycle to it and managed to control it pretty well. I stopped eating certain foods and such. Of course when I get anxious it all comes right back. It's really a tough thing to have. PM me if you ever want to talk! I know how your feeling.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page