Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Secondary Disorders (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f33/)
-   -   Ibs? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f33/ibs-62078/)

WineKitty 04-11-2009 04:05 PM

Ibs?

IBS...(I meant to capitalize the title. For whatever reason, it doesnt seem we can edit titles anymore)

My doctor says I have this. I have been having problems like this for years now. It has gotten worse with time. Certain things trigger it. I am fortunate enough not to have a lot of pain like others seem to have, its more an annoyance than painful, a discomfort but nothing that bad. I have other symptoms too.

But upon researching this, I find that "DEPRESSION" is one of the symptoms...which I find interesting as for the most part of my life I haven't been depressed. That is somewhat of a new phenomenon of the last 4 years or so, which happen to coincide with the worsening of IBS, including an episode of ischemic colitis (which is VERY painful).

So I have to wonder if the occasional depressive symptoms are real or if they are part of the IBS???

I guess it doesnt matter since there is nothing the doc can do for me. Basically, you just learn what your triggers are, avoid them, or suffer.

I guess I need to become more vigilant about what my "triggers" are.

Has anyone else had IBS-like symptoms or been diagnosed?

sadsurvivor 04-11-2009 05:26 PM

I've never heard of depression being a symptom but stress can trigger IBS. My brother has IBS like symptoms but hasn't been diagnosed. His wife sort of makes fun of him.

I have this book called "Food Cures" by Joy Bauer (The Today Show dietitian/nutritionist). In the book there is a section about IBS. You might already know about the foods that can trigger IBS so I won't go into that (unless you need me to). The list is long. Some supplements she recommends are a multivitamin, calcium and vitamin D3, probiotics, enteric-coated peppermint oil, Beano and artichoke leaf extract.

WineKitty 04-11-2009 06:18 PM

Stress does trigger IBS but I have also read it being a nonGI symptom:

Quote:

Nongastrointestinal symptoms

You may sometimes have other symptoms that don't affect the intestines, such as:
  • Anxiety or depression.
  • Fatigue.
  • Headache.
  • Unpleasant taste in the mouth.
  • Backache.
  • Sleeping problems (insomnia) not caused by symptoms of IBS.

http://www.webmd.com/ibs/guide/irrit...e-ibs-symptoms

But either way....nothing can be done about IBS except to watch the triggers from what I have learned.

I know a few things that are triggers for me and have gone over the list. Basically, I could live just fine on pureed baby food. :lol

The lists for what triggers IBS is quite extensive. :( Yesterday, I had a few margaritas when my husband took me out to a Mexican restaurant. Then we made one at home. There is something about tequila that seems to be a trigger for me. I enjoy a shot every now and again with beer or in a margarita but its quickly becoming something I dont think I can do anymore. Having stomach issues all day today is convincing me of that. It also saps the energy out of me.

WineKitty 04-11-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadsurvivor (Post 891127)
My brother has IBS like symptoms but hasn't been diagnosed. His wife sort of makes fun of him.

If my husband did that, I would pack my bags and leave, and I am not kidding about that. There is nothing funny about feeling sick and crampy and having your esophagus burn like you swallowed fire (I am on Prilosec for that). You would think someone's spouse would have a bit more empathy than that.

Delicate 04-11-2009 06:29 PM

^ I do aggree there's nothing funny about it. Mind you I'd try not to talk about it at all it's kind of undignifying. I have ibs like symptoms but not been diagnosed officially. Main trigger is stress!! When I'm too stressed I avoid caffeine... I'ved noticed alcohol doesn't help too. I don't know it's hard to control because the main main issue is stress everything else is just what can make it worse.

sadsurvivor 04-11-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penny (Post 891169)

I know a few things that are triggers for me and have gone over the list. Basically, I could live just fine on pureed baby food. :lol

That makes sense because the best foods for IBS are the ones that are gentle on the digestive system.

sadsurvivor 04-11-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penny (Post 891172)
If my husband did that, I would pack my bags and leave, and I am not kidding about that. There is nothing funny about feeling sick and crampy and having your esophagus burn like you swallowed fire (I am on Prilosec for that). You would think someone's spouse would have a bit more empathy than that.

Honestly when they first met, she was young (22) and immature. People who are that young and immature have no business being married imo. I think she has gotten better recently. I don't think she is intentionally a cruel person or anything. :)

WineKitty 04-11-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadsurvivor (Post 891192)
Honestly when they first met, she was young (22) and immature. People who are that young and immature have no business being married imo. I think she has gotten better recently. I don't think she is intentionally a cruel person or anything. :)

Probably not...sorry I didnt mean to sound over the top... :lol

rachelynn 04-11-2009 11:33 PM

For the past 2 years I've had some kind of a digestive disorder that controls my life (more than anxiety...if only I didn't have digestive problems, I'd be able to try to do things more...I'm mostly stuck at home because of this) But I'm too scared to go to a doctor to find out what's wrong and if there's anything that could help me.... :sigh (I don't like doctors, hospitals, medicine, medical stuff....)